BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Codex Astartes: Supplement for the Chapters

Every codex these days is getting a supplement book with 'specialty' formations and rules. It'd be nice for the Space Marines codex to have a supplement that includes all the chapters with separate sections for each one. Make it a $60 supplement and I'm in.

It doesn't even have to be huge changes. Just use the 'Gladius Strike Force' as a base, then change one or 2 formations based on chapter with new rules to boot. Also add in a special character or 2 per chapter to get things on par with Ultramarines and Black Templar, just to make others feel less left out. Check out these ideas:

Black Templar

Formation: Crusader Legion (replaces Battle Demi-Company)

1 Captain*
    3 Units of Crusader Squads
    1 Vanguard Veterans
    1 Assault Squad, Bike Squad, or Land Speeder Squad
    0-3 Units of Dreadnoughts, Venerable Dreadnoughts, or Ironclad Dreadnoughts

*High Marshal Helbrecht or The Emperor's Champion may replace the captain choice for this formation

Requirements

All Crusader Squads must be lead by a Sword Brother and have at least 1 Neophyte

Special Rules

Fury of the Crusade: Whenever a non-vehicle unit in this formation suffers a wound from a shooting attack, it must take a leadership test as if it had lost 25% casualties. If the unit fails the test, they fall back as normal. If the leadership test is passed, the unit may move d6 inches towards any unit that fired at them. This special move is made at the end of the shooting phase and can only be used once per turn, no matter how many times the unit was shot at. The unit counts as moving during their next turn but may still move and assault normally

Unstopping Assault: If 2 Crusader Legions are taken, all vehicles with a transport capacity taken from the Codex Adeptus Astartes: Space Marines book gain the Assault Vehicle special rule.

Formation: Council of Fury (replaces Librarius Conclave)

3-5 Chaplains*

*One Chaplain may be replaced by Chaplain Grimaldus

Special Rules

Warp Distain: Each Chaplain of this formation counts as a Psyker Level 1 for the purpose of Deny the Witch and adding warp charges during the opponents Psychic Phase

Iron Hands

Special Characters

Kardan Stronos, First Among Elders: 205

WS6/BS5/S4/T4/W4/I5/A4/Ld10/Sv2+/4+

Special Rules
    Master of the Iron Hands
    Eternal Warrior
    And They Shall Know No Fear
    Chapter Tactics (Iron Hands)
    Independent Character

Master of the Iron Hands: Any unit with the Chapter Tactics (Iron Hands) special rule that Kardan Stronos joins gains Feel No Pain. In addition, Kardan Stronos always passes his Look Out Sir rolls when joined with a unit with the Chapter Tactics (Iron Hands) special rule

Wargear
    Sword of Clans
    Combi-Grav
    Artificer Armour
    Frag Grenades
    Krak Grenades
    Iron Halo
    Orbital Strike

Sword of Clans:
    This ancient sword has been the symbol of the leader of the Great Clan Council since its conception. Said to be forged by Ferrus Manus for one of his lieutenants, this sword embodies the power and ferocity that overcame Ferrus during the Battle of Istvaan IV

Range - / S user / AP 2 / Type: Melee, Master-Crafted, Rampage

Master Forger Blantar: 150

WS5/BS5/S4/T5/W2/I4/A2/Ld10/Sv2+

Special Rules
    And They Shall Know No Fear
    Chapter Tactics (Iron Hands)
    Independent Character
    Psyker (Mastery Level 1)
    Voice of the Machine Spirit
    Blessing of the Omnissiah
    Bolster Defense

Voice of the Machine Spirit: Master Forger Blantar always passes his Blessing of the Omnissiah rolls.

Master Forger Blantar generates his powers from the Biomancy and Daemonology disciplines.

Wargear
    Bolt Pistol
    Thunderhammer
    Servo-Arm
    Frag Granades
    Krak Grenades
    Artificer Armour

(no formation changes for the Iron Hands as they stick very strictly to the Codex Astartes)

Raven Guard

Formation: Guerrilla Strike Force (replaces Battle Demi-Company)

1 Captain*
    4 Units of Assault Squads
    1-2 Units of Land Speeders
    0-4 Scout Squads
    0-2 Vanguard Veteran Squads or Sternguard Veteran Squads
    0-2 Units of Dreadnoughts, Venerable Dreadnoughts, or Ironclad Dreadnoughts

* Shadow Captain Shrike may replace the Captain in this formation
    Requirements

All non-vehicle must upgrade to have Jump Packs or have a Drop Pod as a Dedicated Transport
    Dreadnoughts must take Drop Pods as Dedicated Transports.
    The Scout Squads must upgrade to have Camo Cloaks or have a Land Speeder Storm as a Dedicated Transport

Special Rules

Move Through Cover

Melt into the Shadows: While not in Close Combat, non-vehicle units in this formation add +1 to any cover save they gain

Terror of the Shadows: If 2 Guerrilla Strike Forces are taken, all units able to may upgrade to have Jump Packs for free. In addition, all Drop Pods may take the Deathwind Launcher upgrade for free.

Those were just some ideas. What Special Characters/Formtaions would you put in the book?

Every codex these days is getting a supplement book with 'specialty' formations and rules. It'd be nice for the Space Marines codex to have a supplement that includes all the chapters with separate sections for each one.
    Could you please explain "every" codex?

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Could you please explain "every" codex?
    Chaos getting Black Legion and Crimson Slaughter, Tau getting the Farsight Enclave, Tyranids get Leviathan (and a few online rules), Blood Angels get Exterminatus, Dark Eldar get Haemonculus, Orks get The Red Waaagh! and Hour of the Wolf and Waagh! Ghazghkull, Space Wolves get Hour of the Wolf and Champions of Fenris, and the Astra Militarum have The Red Waaagh!

just to name a few

Space Marines got Clan Raaukan and Sentinels of Terra

and unlike Chaos, Tau, Tyranids, Blood Angels, Dark Eldar, Orks, Space Wolves and Astra Militarum (just to name a few) Space Marines got a metric ****ton of Formations in their main codex.
    So I do not really see why one of the strongest armies that gets the most support from GW really "needs" another 20 formations.

First-Captain

and unlike Chaos, Tau, Tyranids, Blood Angels, Dark Eldar, Orks, Space Wolves and Astra Militarum (just to name a few) Space Marines got a metric ****ton of Formations in their main codex.
    So I do not really see why one of the strongest armies that gets the most support from GW really "needs" another 20 formations.
    how about "because they're SPEEHS MEHREEEENS and because it'd sell like hot pie"?
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Ok, lets tackle this one point at a time:

1) have you actually read Clan Raakun or Sentinels of Terra? They are $50 a piece for 1 new character among the two books and a new list of relics for their respective armies. Not really a supplement so much as a slapped together after thought

2)you obviously didn't pay attention to any of the armies i mentioned. Blood angels, especially after getting supplements, have more formations than space marines, despite representing a single chapter and it's off shoots as opposed to 8 chapters. Orks not only have more formations, but more characters with each book. Space wolves are the same as blood angels. The only army that fits your argument is astra militarum, which I'll admit is at a disadvantage, but it's also a full addition behind, so we'll give that time.

3) on to why you don't see a need for it, it'd be the same as saying Eldar, Dark Eldar, and harlequins should be in the same codex, since they're effectively the same army with slightly different rules and paint jobs, with a single list for all three. I understand not everyone plays space marines, but for those of us who do, it's annoying to see our factions get removed, lessened, or just squished with the others despite what recent fluff says.
    Last edited by CrossbowSniper; 09-24-2015 at 12:36 AM.

1) have you actually read Clan Raakun or Sentinels of Terra? They are $50 a piece for 1 new character among the two books and a new list of relics for their respective armies. Not really a supplement so much as a slapped together after thought
    Which is basically the same as every supplement you mentioned.

2)you obviously didn't pay attention to any of the armies i mentioned. Blood angels, especially after getting supplements, have more formations than space marines, despite representing a single chapter and it's off shoots as opposed to 8 chapters. Orks not only have more formations, but more characters with each book. Space wolves are the same as blood angels. The only army that fits your argument is astra militarum, which I'll admit is at a disadvantage, but it's also a full addition behind, so we'll give that time.
    Space Marines do have (after all the dataslates and online only formations) at the moment 18 different formations. That is MORE than the orks have. Not the other way round. Chaos Space Marines have about what? 6?
    So no. Space Marines do have the most formations around possibly tied (or slightly surpassed) with tyranids.
    3) on to why you don't see a need for it, it'd be the same as saying Eldar, Dark Eldar, and harlequins should be in the same codex, since they're effectively the same army with slightly different rules and paint jobs, with a single list for all three. I understand not everyone plays space marines, but for those of us who do, it's annoying to see our factions get removed, lessened, or just squished with the others despite what recent fluff says.
    Flashnews: Eldar (multiple Craftworlds), Dark Eldar (multiple Cabals, Coven and Cults), Imperial Guard (multiple regiments of reknown), Chaos Space Marines (Multiple Legions and Warbands),.. do not even get " slightly different rules". They do not even have a Codex: Biel Tan Craftworld or Codex: Cabal of the Black Heart as you do with Blood Angels, Space Wolves And Dark angels.
    Space Marines whining about "annoying to see our factions get removed, lessened, or just squished with the others" is hilarious. I really wish you guys would get the Dark Eldar or Sororitas treatment only once, while all other races get your priviledged treatment... cant imagine the cries of despair if standing at the top of the food chain is already horrible to you.
    Last edited by Charon; 09-24-2015 at 01:27 AM.

Chapter-Master

Flashnews: Eldar (multiple Craftworlds), Dark Eldar (multiple Cabals, Coven and Cults), Imperial Guard (multiple regiments of reknown), Chaos Space Marines (Multiple Legions and Warbands),.. do not even get " slightly different rules". They do not even have a Codex: Biel Tan Craftworld or Codex: Cabal of the Black Heart as you do with Blood Angels, Space Wolves And Dark angels.
    Space Marines whining about "annoying to see our factions get removed, lessened, or just squished with the others" is hilarious. I really wish you guys would get the Dark Eldar or Sororitas treatment only once, while all other races get your priviledged treatment... cant imagine the cries of despair if standing at the top of the food chain is already horrible to you.
    I don't often agree with Charon, but this is spot on.

Space Marine players no leg to stand on when it comes to whining about "removing" of their character. Hell, one craftworld had a supplement for 2 years.

Give me a break already.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

First-Captain

There are about one million Astartes in the whole galaxy, give or take (approximately 1000 Chapters, full Codex strength is just over 1000). They're well represented rules wise.

Full Chapter strength is allegedly 1,000 strong....kind of hard to tell if any actually adhere to that limit.

There's a strong suggestion Dark Angels and Space Wolves just sort of ignore it!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast