BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default And/Or weapon debate

Seems I have a lot of questions need answering this week. Ho-hum.

So, I noticed something while reading over my SM codex. On page 128, under "Options" it states that:

"Where an options states that you may exchange one weapon 'and/or' another, you may replace either, neither, or both provided you pay the stated points cost."

My question is, can I buy wargear and choose "neither" of the options that it is ostensibly replacing?

For example, I buy a powerfist for my Tactical Squad Sergent. It says I can replace his bolt pistol and/or his boltgun for this. Can I choose to lose neither and have a powerfist, bolt pistol, and a boltgun?

And before someone cries OP it hardly is. The only real benefit is that you get an extra bolt shot, and you can take multiple combi-weapons.

Thoughts?
    "Nuh Uhn" is the valid counter argument to "Uhn Huh," which was the entire Affirmative case presented. -JWolf

Chapter-Master

Without looking at it in the codex, from what you have described,, the 'neither' implies to me confirmation that there is no exchange - in order to get a new weapon one has to be changed out so you can't simply take an extra option.

Try CSM instead.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

you may replace either:- You replace either the bolt pistol or boltgun for a powerfist paying the points.

you may replace both:- You may replace the boltpistol and boltgun for 2 x powerfists paying for both

you may replace neither:- You do not replace the bolt pist, you do not replace the boltgun, you do not get a power fist and you pay no points.

Thats it in a nutshell

Chapter-Master

The and/or clause they use probably isn't the best way of wording the rule, since arguments like this can come up, but it's the quickest way of wording it.

Anyways, the rule states you may replace your weapons with other weapons. The and/or only refers to what weapons are being replaced. In order to gain access to the weapons on the list, you must replace a weapon. You can play around with what weapon is replaced, but you can't escape the fact that one weapon goes away in order to get a different weapon.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Good lord, no.
    Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene

Librarian

I think the only model allowed to have more than 3 weapons would be a model of the Resident Evil 4 merchant. Whatever you're buyin', he's got it.

Joking aside, no there are limits to how many weapons you can have. I believe it's at most 3, unless it's like a special character.

you can have more than 3 weapons if your options allow it. there is no rule any more that states a maximal number of weapons.
    but as said above, exchange means exchange. so if you can exchange up to two weapons, you can´t decide to take a third weapon.

Chapter-Master

The power fist option only exists IF you exchange something for it.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
    good lord, no.
    lol...
    Officially abandoned a total RG army in light of a single custom marine army i can use for all codecies...what does that make me?