BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Armored Battlegroup: Would you play against it?

Hello everyone!

I'm the local treadhead here, and I usually run a 9-Leman Russ tank list from the standard Imperial Guard codex. However, I was running basic maintenance and repainting my models, and I came across an old ruleset that I had stored:

[url]http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/pdf/IA1update28AUG.pdf[/url]

It's the Armored Battlegroup list from the last few pages of Imperial Armor: Volume 1 updated to match up with the new Imperial Guard codex.

My current 2000 point list from this includes 10 tanks (one more than the normal IG army) but NOT in squadrons. It also has only one scoring troops choice.

I know it's not tournament legal, but I was wondering if it would be too overkill for friendly games. I would enjoy playing it, and I try to be fluffy (regiment has it's own name and background courtesy of myself) but I don't want to not have opponents.

So, who here would play it and if you wouldn't, why wouldn't you?

Veteran-Sergeant

As a pick up game, I would have to say no. My standard lists just don't have enough AT to handle that many tanks. And that many templates would play hell with just about any army.

On the other hand, if it were a prearranged game, and I knew you were taking that many tanks, I could come up with a list that would have a chance against it.

I guess what I'm saying is, let your opponent know ahead of time, so they can prepare for a tank company. In fact, it might be interesting to see a tank company against a vehicle heavy Marine force. Land Raiders and drop pods with lots of melta would certainly be fair, IMHO.
    92 Golf: Death From Within
    Any plan where you lose your hat is a bad plan.

In June the supplement spearhead will be launched, dealing with armoured assault in a 40k seting.
    This should give you a means to depoly your tanks in a way that is clear and acceptable for anyone.

I'd certainly give it a go, it's certainly nasty with plenty of Russ, but the low Scoring unit count means it's at a serious disadvantage in 2/3 of the standard game types.

However as illustrated there are plenty who are less keen, the moral is have the option to field both types of list in a pick up game and see which your opponent prefers, the same is true of any such variant FW or even home grown list.
    Curious Constructs - http://www.curiousconstructs.co.uk
    Kirton Games - http://www.kirtongames.com

Chaplain

I'd have a go against it, I may ask to proxy some dev squads but otherwise sounds like a laugh. I used to play a friend back in 3rd who had an armoured company that was always entertaining to play against.

Chaplain

Id challenge that list if i knew in advance, i play a SoB army but i can see lots of possibilities to take it to your tanks.
    Would be hell to survive but hey thats half the challenge
    "Heretics crave the cleansing fire of absolution. They need not fear, for we shall deliver"

It depends. I have nothing against much tanks but some of the ace-skills you can buy for your tanks in that list are just OP.

20 or what points and your leman russ can fire its main cannon twice for instance.

other than that I see nothing problematic with the armored company. especially as in normal pointed games you will not bring that much more tanks, are limited in 2/3 of the missions and your tanks shell out more killpoints in the other 1/3 of missions (each one running around solo vs 3 big squadrons).

Veteran-Sergeant

I play against AB all the time and I have to say it's a mean list but not much worse than the IG codex. A balanced IG army is better suited to taking on all comers. AB is certainly good at dealing with conventional mixed forces but my Airborne IG, my buddy's Dark Eldar and Land Raider Heavy Space Wolves have proven that AB is not unbeatable it's just a different challenge.

EDIT: If you want more people to accept the list don't play with 10 tanks (even though you could field that many anyway). Take 6-7 tanks unsquadroned with a sprinkling of Ace Skills and maybe Schfeer (because he's awesome). Convince people it's not all that different because it isn't.
    Last edited by Atrotos; 03-24-2010 at 09:38 AM.
    "No one hides from the Eye, No one hides from the Sky!"

Brother-Captain

actually I woudl want to try and field it!

I'd love to scratch build some tarantulas!
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Chaplain

i'd throwdown...it just depends on the guys in your local area..
    Officially abandoned a total RG army in light of a single custom marine army i can use for all codecies...what does that make me?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast