BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: GW Purity Seal

Default GW Purity Seal

I'm wondering what peoples thoughts on gw purity seal are. I've been building models for a long time and have never used anything like that, but I've never gamed with models before. I've read some horror stories about it ruining models. So what does it really do and is it worth using at all?

Chapter-Master

I use it on all my models, never take them anywhere unless they have been varnished. I put too much time in to my painting (not that you would notice ) to have it chip or scratch during a game. I've never had an issue with it on a model, give it a good shake, spray in good conditions. the advantage of GW sprays, aside from the quality, is that if you do have a problem with a can they will replace it without hesitation, and will replace the model if it has been ruined by the spray too.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

I recommend Vallejo varnish products in dropper bottles. Do a coat of gloss and a coat of matte. Done. I've seen way too many models ruined by Purity Seal. Plus, you'll save money. GW spray cans in all their forms are a rip off.

I agree with AnEnemy. Purity seal is horribly unpredictable. Already ruined 2 units for me.

Brother-Captain

When it works it's brilliant. The trick is 'when it works'. If a can is good it seems to be good forever, which makes me wonder if the issue is different batches or places of manufacture.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Librarian

I have to agree that GW's spray cans are overpriced. My dullcoat of choice is Testor's. If I want to double up on the coat, I'd start out with a Krylon gloss or satin spray.

www.GardenNinja.com

I hate GW's since the price is high and it's not very matte.

Vallejo's is nice on the cheap but not especially matte, dullcote is what I always use though. I buy that stuff in bulk now.
    My eponymous hobby, games, & commission blog: http://www.spiralingcadaver.blogspot.com