BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Moar Dakka for your Dread.

[url=http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Contemptor-Pattern-Volkite-Culverin]Forgeworld have started pre-orders for the Contemptor Pattern Volkite Culverin.[/url].

Standard £9.50 each, and they're twin linked to boot.

Volkite - because reducing swathes of your foe to ash is always good for a laugh.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

love the culverin on infantry support squads where you can have five of them, but doesn't seem all that great to me on a contemptor. though it does look very cool.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Agreed. They're underpowered on a Contemptor (which has access to the Kheres Assault Cannon, the prince of all weapons in 30K) but those really do look very cool.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Chapter-Master

it could do with a couple of extra shots or something
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    it could do with a couple of extra shots or something

Mortis can handle that (pretty sure u can Mortis it could be wrong) and then some.

Kheres is grrrreat I run it but only 24" but with a Contemptor Mortis u can stir fry Squad after Squad from way back or hose down light aircraft from way back with skyfire.

I'm not sure if it is worse than the Kheres though- It has the same Strength, 1 worse AP, 2 less shots and loses Rending, but has nearly double the range, is twin-linked and gains Deflagrate. Seems pretty equal to me to be honest. In the Mortis configuration especially I think it could be very nasty as a long-range anti-infantry platform. Auxilia Militia would be quaking in their boots for sure (although that is probably true for Militia vs pretty much anything in the Legionnes Astartes list...).
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Chaplain

Makes me wish you could do different weapons in a mortis, I bet you would see more dreads of both types on the field. Deflagerate can wreck a guys day fer sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Haighus View Post
    I'm not sure if it is worse than the Kheres though- It has the same Strength, 1 worse AP, 2 less shots and loses Rending, but has nearly double the range, is twin-linked and gains Deflagrate. Seems pretty equal to me to be honest. In the Mortis configuration especially I think it could be very nasty as a long-range anti-infantry platform. Auxilia Militia would be quaking in their boots for sure (although that is probably true for Militia vs pretty much anything in the Legionnes Astartes list...).
    The loss of Rending is the killer for me, because Rending is what makes the twin Kheres equipped Contemptor into such a beast. It can do anti-infantry, all while serving as a ferocious anti-air platform at a very reasonable cost, something the Volkite weapon isn't as well-equipped for. Rending is also what enables the Contemptor to pop Rhinos and light tanks. It can't do Land Raiders, but that's pretty much all it can't do.

The Volkite Culverin only does anti-infantry, and fits waaaaaaay better on the Mechanicum's forces. A squad of five Myrmidon Destructors with Volkites is, for my money, the best anti-infantry shooting unit in all of 30K or 40K. Whatever it shoots at dies. Horribly.

So, I'd take both, run them together. The Destructors just vaporise everything on two legs while the Contemptor turns everything with wings into paste.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Chaplain

Rending is only good if u roll 6s lol not disagreeing tho.