BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Split fire and Assaults

If a model has the Split fire special rule and shot at a target the squad can charge, but the remainder of the squad shot at a different target, can that squad charge the unit that only the model with split fire shot?

You can charge any unit that your squad shot at. So you can either charge the unit the squad shot at or the unit the splitfire model shot at.

And potentially charge both, provided you do so within the normal assault rules.

About the only time I can think of this is when a Character who isn't IC has a 'bubble' of infantry around them, and you expose said model through casualties.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    You can charge any unit that your squad shot at. So you can either charge the unit the squad shot at or the unit the splitfire model shot at.
    You can charge any unit the UNIT shot at. The UNIT did not shoot at a second target, it shot at one. A model is the only thing that shoots at another target.

From Declare Charge:
    "(A) unit that fired in the Shooting phase can only charge the unit that it targeted during that turn’s Shooting phase."

From Split Fire:
    "Split Fire
    When a unit that contains at least one model with this special rule shoots, one model in the unit can shoot at a different target to the rest of his unit. Once this shooting attack has been resolved, resolve the shooting attacks made by the rest of the unit. These must be at a different target, which cannot be a unit forced to disembark as a result of the Split Firing unit’s initial shooting attack.
    "

This is not quite the same thing as Super-Heavy targeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    You can charge any unit the UNIT shot at. The UNIT did not shoot at a second target, it shot at one. A model is the only thing that shoots at another target.

From Declare Charge:
    "(A) unit that fired in the Shooting phase can only charge the unit that it targeted during that turn’s Shooting phase."

From Split Fire:
    "Split Fire
    When a unit that contains at least one model with this special rule shoots, one model in the unit can shoot at a different target to the rest of his unit. Once this shooting attack has been resolved, resolve the shooting attacks made by the rest of the unit. These must be at a different target, which cannot be a unit forced to disembark as a result of the Split Firing unit’s initial shooting attack.
    "

This is not quite the same thing as Super-Heavy targeting.
    Umm, I'm not convinced. What you're saying is that the one model doesn't count as part of the unit, effectively.

While the rule for Declaring a Charge says "the unit", (implying only one option is available as a target) I'd say that it's worded that way because 95% of the time, you can only shoot one target.

To put it another way, whether only one model in a unit fires on a target, or several, that unit has fired on that target.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chris*ta View Post
    Umm, I'm not convinced. What you're saying is that the one model doesn't count as part of the unit, effectively.

While the rule for Declaring a Charge says "the unit", (implying only one option is available as a target) I'd say that it's worded that way because 95% of the time, you can only shoot one target.

To put it another way, whether only one model in a unit fires on a target, or several, that unit has fired on that target.
    No, you're taking it the wrong way. I'm saying that when the model is making its shooting attack, it does not represent the unit while doing so. You have already chosen a target for the unit at this point, and that is the target of the unit's Charge. Split Fire does not grant permission to charge this second target.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's correct. I don't see the difference between one member of the unit shooting at a target, or all of them shooting at the target. Either way, it's a target that they shot at during the shooting phase and so one they're allowed to charge.

Truth be told, the RAW is way too vague on this. The rule says "the unit that it targeted during that turn’s Shooting phase" when it targeted more than one unit in the shooting phase ...

But, I'm not convinced on the idea that the model that is split firing doesn't count; I don't see anything in the rules to support this.

The Split Fire one is a bit strange to the Normal sequence in that it allows you to choose a target after the the split firing guy has unloaded (with restrictions).

In all other cases you need to declare all targets and how your going to split your shots at the start of the units shooting phase (Super Heavies, POTMS, Target Lock (Tau)).

Before reading this discussion I'd have said you can charge what you fire at but going over the split-fire rule in the BRB I don't think that's the case with the guy whose done the split-fire.

Obviously intended by GW for some reason otherwise they would have just left it to follow normal shooting rules
    Select Target
    Select Weapon
    Fire weapon
    Resolve wounds
    If more weapons Go to Select Weapon
    Else
    End

"one model in the unit"

Yes, only one model may shoot at another target, but that model is still part of a unit. How is this a hard concept?

I don't get why is this even a question. As always, the unit shot 2 targets. It can charge either one. Even if a model is an individual, when we say a unit, it's always the unit as a whole and not a unit -1, in which case it shot at 2 targets, not 1. There is absolutely nothing that says the second target is not a valid charge target. The rule has been like this from the start and we never had any trouble with it. After a few years of existence there is suddenly someone that has a problem with it? Why is someone trying "again" to find a fault in a rules? It happened to you and you lost the game??

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast