BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chapter-Master

yeah, with their fried circuitry and dodgy transference, anything is possible really
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post

The one that I really didn't like though was I am Legend. one of my all time favourite books. I read the whole thing in one sitting in a noisy, smoke filled pub in Leeds one saturday afternoon. I had gone to Leeds from Durham to take part in an archery competition, and went to a pub afterwards to wait for some friends to join me before a night out. it was early December, a rather drunk heavily pregnant woman kept putting the same christmas song on the jukebox over and over. I literally heard the same song dozens of times. and I read the entirety of I am Legend, and it blew me away. the ending is just one of the finest literary conclusions ever. watching the film, I was enjoying it all the way along, the changes and tweaks didn't bother me at all. until the ending. they changed an incredible ending for something utterly mundane. why call the film 'I am Legend' if it isn't actually going to feature the key scene involving the title? drove me mad. changes are fine, and I completely understand that a lot of scenes from a book don't work with a film. but if you are going to make changes, make them good ones. don't go, 'this ending wont work on screen, find me something bland and generic that a load of other films have already done, we will use that'.
    Try Vincent Price's version from i want to say the early 60's "Last Man on Earth". Much better than the recent Will Smith one.

Not better than Charlton Heston and his Disco Albino chums?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Sorry, I preferred them silent.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Me too. I like my stargods powerful and not to be glorified pokemon. I prefer the War in heaven to be an important battle between crons and eldar with even the gods involved instead of a minor sidenote.
    And last but no least I like them for having created the Pariah for their war against Eldar and harvesting life force for their stargods.

And not that chatty pokemon trainers that they are now.

Battle-Brother

I find that all PoVs are valid with this.
    To me, the first codex was the imperium's point of view. a faceless horde of silver deathmasks and green lightning, led by fading lords in tattered vestements from their dusty crypts.
    The Dead Walking and doing their own thing. And when they meet a C'Tan? it's a god. it's not going to say it's a mere fragment, it's going to kill them, and keep doing it.
    They can only believe that what they're facing is the full god, because what kind of creature could survive being shattered into thousands of parts?

The Later codices tells us the full story, that the c'tan are broken and shattered, and the faceless hordes are not necessarily acting as one mass, that they are failing, and insane and maybe what the imperium thought it knew wasn't all of it.
    The imperium still sees the 1st ed codex, that hasn't changed. the Necrons still scour worlds, or leave them mostly intact at their apparent whims. (based largely on whether it's a Destroyer Lord in charge)
    And if it bothers you that the C'tan are glorified pokemon...remember that there are plenty of shards out there that aren't in tesseracts, doing their own thing. and more than a few that command necron armies in their own right.
    So you can have your 1st-ed fluff still in parallel with the new stuff.

Note: Prior to the reboot, personality-crons still existed, they just weren't as front and center. Xenology has a great example of one. They didn't give the impression they enjoyed their servitude, but seemed to have a bit of sadistic pleasure as a consolation prize.

Current 'crons just feel like a slight remix on Craftworld Eldar with a different aesthetic. Ancient Empire, super-hightech, occasionally make use of god avatars yadayadayada, with a bit of robo-dementia thrown in.

Saw much more promise in the pre-5th personality to the post-5th.

One of the reasons I didn't like the reboot is that it created sort of almost plot holes in stuff that relied on the original brand Necrons, seemingly for no reason. It would have been perfectly reasonable to allow the four surviving C'tan from the original fluff still er... survive, which would mean Mechanicum and Nightbringer wouldn't be so full of holes.
    Except they specify that the nightbringer is definitely shattered, so what on earth is the bringer of darkness, why were the other races trying to destroy it? what is with the set up to that? what is happening with the actual necrons in that book- where did they all go?
    The same for the giant mess that is the backstory for the dragon- was it still beaten by the eldar/old ones using the blackstone fortresses and knocked onto earth? if so, how did the Necrons get to Mars to shatter it (long after they were supposed to be asleep, as the dragon arrives on earth after an extended period of being a normal sub light meteor- however the description of it doesn't seem congruous to that of a shard), and why did they just leave at least one shard in a cave for no discernable reason, then only try to find it in 40,000ad (its not like 1 c'tan shard would be that powerful, and anything valuable found with it would should be on earth, not Mars, as it only got to the red planet due to the emperor, who seems unlikely to have left any kind of superweapon in the exact same cave network as an all powerful god). If all that's retconned, what is the all the stuff relating to the dragon on Mars about? what on earth is in that cave? what were the blackstone fortresses even for originally?

It's not that the new fluff is bad, it's that the way it was implemented for the C'tan in particular was stripping the old stuff out wholesale, without filling them with anything, then mainly just changing the emphasis on individuality, which could have happened without explicitly setting up the old fluff as flat out wrong- it would have been possibly to create the necron tone shift without the massive 'the c'tan are definitely all dead now, so there' writing. Basically I would support the change in principle, if only the writing hadn't been slightly too heavy handed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12