BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

me and my best freind are no vets by any means of the word but we both play UM. i actually started the notion of building second company before the 5th edition codex came out then it came out and the idea stuck. which eventually got my friend stuck on it too, so it's bit of a race to see who builds it first. but yeah i'm thinking of starting some small tiny 500 pt. armies of other chapters but i don't plan on ever useing other sm armies that have codexs with my ultramarines expecially taking my UM and useing another codex and calling then some thing they are not. but i really don't get why people knock them about os much all i can really come up with is that they are jealous that they are the face of the game and they always are one of the first of the codex releases. it really dosen't matter wether you have a new codex or not it may be really nice but you can win with any and every codex and a bit of luck with rolling some thing i don't have

(exhibit A: i had a enemy sm tac sergeant out in the open we were playing kill points, he already had 2 on my and i had 1 on him i shot a rihno, a land raider crusader that moved at combat speed, sternguard squad with missle launcher, yes i did shoot krak, and the sergeant took all the hits soaked up every single one of them and wasa still on the board because it was the last turn! no if thats not bad rolling i don't know what is!) and i loaned all his men to him so he could play! so the sergeant was mine!
    2nd ultrmarines company along with cadian 111th "big red ones"

Quote Originally Posted by david5th View Post
    All i have to say is

" COURAGE AND HONOUR "
    well said }

cryl yes thats what i might plan on doing myself it can help when you can get used to all the styles when you want to do something similar to 40k
    (goes up to US president hey do we have any armour that is made of layers of metal and increases the amout you can lift and allow you to fight in airless or bihazard areas, and a gun that fires .75 caliber bolts that explode when they hit and eneter solid mass? pres.- um... let me get back to you on that)

sad part is i've asked military personel roughly how big would a .75 caliber shell be and i've never got an asnwer to date
    Last edited by sicarius2424; 03-30-2010 at 05:57 PM.
    2nd ultrmarines company along with cadian 111th "big red ones"

I just checked, the 1998 C:SM has yellow, the 2004 C:SM has gold. I think the gold is prettier, personally, but its relatively new.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Abbess Sanctorum

.75 caliber is around the level of a 12 gauge slug IIRC.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by sicarius2424 View Post
    sad part is i've asked military personel roughly how big would a .75 caliber shell be and i've never got an asnwer to date
    sad that they don't know, or that you can't find it out? .75" = 19mm

nearest bullets we have are [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.700_Nitro_Express"].700 Nitro Express[/URL] and the [URL="http://www.gunslot.com/pictures/950-jdj-biggest-rifle-bullet-planet"].950 JDJ[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by sicarius2424 View Post
    Part of the problem is that you aren't asking a complete question. A .75 caliber round is 0.75 inches in diameter, by definition, but that doesn't tell you anything about how long/tall the round is.

In common usage we refer to rounds by diameter because there is usually only one round of that diameter in common usage. When somebody speaks of 9mm ammunition, for instance, the overwhelming majority of the time they are referring to the 9x19mm Parabellum round. However, there are many other rounds in the world that have a 9mm diameter ([url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9_mm_caliber]some examples[/url]). Saying 9mm does not actually describe a specific object; we fill in the necessary information from context.

In the case of a fictional round like a .75 caliber bolt, that's a lot harder to do. How long/tall is a bolt? Fluff never says, as far as I know. All we know about a .75 caliber bolt is that it's .75 inches in diameter, because that's what .75 caliber means. A round that is 0.75"x0.5" and a round that is 0.75"x2.0" are both ".75 caliber," despite the fact that one is four times as large as the other.
    Last edited by Nabterayl; 03-30-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Regarding the whole color debate, Pg 17 of my codex lists Yellow/Gold as the 2nd Company. So I guess everybody is right. Oh and to the guy doing first company, it lists White/Silver.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    UltramarineFan: GW's own painting instructions says you're wrong :P While I sold off all the models, I still have some of the basic starting stuff from that kit (the dice, scatter dice, etc), including the booklet.
    Ye and GW's own codex says I'm right I have the booklet too, I quote 'Paint the shoulder pad edging and chest eagle with Shining Gold paint.' You're wrong, give up already.

Abbess Sanctorum

No, I assure you that the color it asks you to use is not gold :P Least not by my definition. I have my first model right here, the only Marine model I own. That ain't gold on its trim... it's some ugly little yellow color, and I had nothing except the paints from the macragge set way back then.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    No, I assure you that the color it asks you to use is not gold :P Least not by my definition. I have my first model right here, the only Marine model I own. That ain't gold on its trim... it's some ugly little yellow color, and I had nothing except the paints from the macragge set way back then.
    I concede that the set didnt give you a gold paint but I insist upon the fact that it tells you to paint it gold, read the stupid booklet, it doesnt matter what paints they give you, they say to paint it gold and therefore it is meant to be gold.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast