BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Can't find a note about "The Beast" in the 7th edition codex. Just did a search for the term on my Kindle book, and only got a reference to Ghaz (being called "the Beast"), a listing on "The Nature of the Beast", and another reference to Armageddon.
    You're right, I'm misremembering. They took out the long timelines of events from more recent books, but The Beast was mentioned in 6th edition (Path Walker linked the Lexicanum article for us here).

I don't think there's any way someone can make Ghaz "look like a Grot" without being a literal god.
    The Beast is described as having nearly taken over the galaxy, which is pretty damn impressive. Ol' Ghazzie certainly has a kunnin' plan, but he hasn't quite reached that level yet. The Beast was more badass than the Ullanor warboss, and that one nearly killed the Emperor and his favorite neglected son. The Beast is several shades 'arder than Ghazzie, but Ghazzie's alive and therefore has room to grow.

A bunch of good points about 'ow ded 'ard, killy, and kunnin' Ghazzie is
    No true son of Gork will deny that Ghazzie is ded 'ard, killy, and kunnin'. He's definitely the biggest, baddest, and smartest Ork in the galaxy currently at large. He's probably reached Ullanor-levels of dangerous with his Armageddon campaigns. But The Beast nearly conquered the entire galaxy, while Ghazzie has conquered a couple systems. He has a ways to go before he reaches Beast-level. And if the fluff ever moves forward, maybe we'll see it. He's just not there yet, though.

So, yeah, someone who can do more than tearing through the nastier big bugs, can do more than lead a galaxy-spanning Waaagh! described as the most vicious cycle of Ork incursions to date, is smarter than a guy who's also wrecked a lot of Space Marines himself... I can see someone being maybe a bit better, but Ghazghkull's become so nasty that the only way to make him "look like a Grot" is to be Gork or Mork.
    We also have to remember that the recent fluff and rulebooks have all been looking at "current era" 40k. Really, most of the fluff and rulebooks have been "current era". Ghazzie looks like such a badass because they focus on him more than the older warbosses. Compare the Lexicanum page for [URL="http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Urlakk_Urg"]Urlakk Urg[/URL] (that'd be the Ullanor Warboss) to more modern warbosses like [URL="http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Snagrod"]The Arch-Arsonist of Caledon[/URL], [URL="http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Nazdreg_Ug_Urdgrub"]Nazdreg[/URL], or [URL="http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ghazghkull_Mag_Uruk_Thraka"]Ghazzie[/URL]. We know a lot more about each of them than any of the "legacy" warbosses on whose shoulders they stand.

I might check out the books, but I'm not enthused with their track record with Ork-based novels, especially as it seems these are inevitable losses for the Orks.
    I feel ya on this one. I think I read one short story where an Ork Kommando mob ambushed some stupid 'oomies, written from their perspective, but all the rest have them as mostly personality-less hordes of redshirts to be mowed down by the heroic Beekies. Still, I'm pretty interested in getting more information on The Beast, since he should be such a big figure, and all we currently have is one tiny paragraph proclaiming him the biggest, baddest boss to ever stomp a grot.

Also, Ghazzie's just been less fun ever since GW killed off Makari. It's nice that The Lukky Stikk gives him a nod, but still, a shame.

First-Captain

Urlakk Urg was bigger than Horus and the Emperor, The Beast was bigger than Urlakk, he'd tower over Ghaz out of his Mega Armour.

Chapter-Master

Did second not have a throwaway paragraph in one of the rulebooks about a waagh threatening Terra in the "dark and distant past"?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123