BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

what could be useful is a box (spare rhino) at the back for those whose dreads have banners or dont want to be carried! :P bu this is an excellent tutorial and thankyou for sharing your great ideas!!
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

This is a fabulous conversion and a very comprehensive tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing your creativity, as soon as I can scavenge a few buck I'm going to build this!!!
    Last edited by OCdt Mephiston; 03-29-2010 at 08:18 PM.

Battle-Brother

I don't mean to sound overly critical, as it's a beautiful conversion but.....

The one design flaw that I see that really annoys me is the fact that the wings are pitched DOWN. I'd somehow find a way to move the struts supporting them so that they're level.

It also needs canards up front for lift there too.

Now that I think a second or two more, the whole wing section should be moved towards the center as well.

I just looks off-balanced and most certainly not flight-worthy (yes, I know we're talking about giant daemons and 8' genetically engineered space marines, etc).

Default Yeah, right

Quote Originally Posted by Gauthic View Post
    I don't mean to sound overly critical, as it's a beautiful conversion but.....

The one design flaw that I see that really annoys me is the fact that the wings are pitched DOWN. I'd somehow find a way to move the struts supporting them so that they're level.

It also needs canards up front for lift there too.

Now that I think a second or two more, the whole wing section should be moved towards the center as well.

I just looks off-balanced and most certainly not flight-worthy (yes, I know we're talking about giant daemons and 8' genetically engineered space marines, etc).
    No, You are critical and sarcastic to boot. Praising the guy for the 'beautiful' model but, you kick patzgcrux in between the legs by your criticism. Why don't you show us the proper way to convert with the proper aerodynamics and design, oh by the way you already answered the question by admitting that it is a 'make believe world' .
    Last edited by Jwolf; 03-30-2010 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Opinion is fine. The last sentence was unneccessary.

I don't see Gauthic's comments as a kick in the anywhere, Bloodboy. Giving feedback about tweaks for the realisim of the model, given flatly and without unneccesary adjectives are always acceptable.
    Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene

weird, i thought canards were control and maneouvering surfaces not intented for lift generating purposes and that pitched down wings actually allowed for greater lift generated from a smaller wing surface?

guess i was wrong? oh well good job its the 41st millenium with genetically engineered super humans, daemons and ancient alien beasties were things like anti-grav motors and suspensor fields sort out all aerodynamic problems

Brother-Captain

I agree with Gauthic - the conversion looks great but it does look front-heavy. A second set of small wings towards the front would go a long way toward making it easier to suspend disbelief that this thing could actually fly. Maybe something like the rear stabilizers from the valkyrie kit, or wings from a piranha, something like that.

Battle-Brother

To Bloodboy:
    I wasn't being sarcastic at all at the praise of the conversion, and I was attempting to give fairly positive feedback of the modeling work that was done, and perhaps aesthetic changes that could be made to help it look better. It's my opinion to be taken, like everyone else's opinion, with a grain of salt.
    There was no insult written by me, nor was there one intended in my post.

To all:
    Also, "annoy" was far too strong of a word and I apologize for the use of it. I was rushed when I posted, and I should have re-read and re-written the post in a more friendly format.

to harrybuttwhisker:
    [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canard_%28aeronautics%29"]Canards[/URL] may be used for either lifting or control (or both).
    On realistic aircraft, [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing"]wings[/URL] are meant to push air downward or create a vacuum to lift the wing up, otherwise the object will fall. This is done by the airfoil or the angle of a wing. Having a wing pitched downward while it's got forward momentum will push the wing downward unless there's something interesting going on in the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airfoil"]airfoil[/URL].
    Last edited by Gauthic; 03-30-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Typo, sorry

It's all welcome comments, I can improve the design. My main goal was to create an easy conversion. Blood dude, thanks for defense but try to be more plesant to other members.

This is an awesome conversion! I really hope that, until GW releases a plastic kit, this will become the wordwide standard for stromraven conversions! I especially love that it looks quite easy to replicate. But it`s the idea that counts, and you deserve big props for that!

Plus, the tutorial is really well written.

Also, I have to agree with Gauthic that the front looks a bit to heavy. I`m not sure whether moving the wings towards the front or adding a second set of smaller wings, as Lerra suggested, would fix this. Maybe you can dryfit both solutions and post pics?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast