BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default For the greater good Hand held railgun now a reality

[url]https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/3d-printing-used-first-real-handheld-railgun-fires-134325053.html[/url]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	handheld-railgun.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	16099

The crazy contraption pictured in the image is the first portable railgun, a futuristic projectile launcher associated most commonly with the military or NASA. The man in the image above isn’t in the military, and he’s not a NASA engineer. Instead, he’s a civilian who used some engineering smarts, some widely available parts and a 3D printer to create a functioning weapon that can fire graphite, aluminum, tungsten and even plasma projectiles at speeds of more than 560 mph.

And then there’s the best part: There are videos of this homemade railgun in action.

Also, it's a plasma gun.

Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chaplain

I would be curious to see if he is still smiling when it "gets hot" :P

Rail weapons no longer have Gets Hot. :P

Homemade rail weapons have been around for years, though. Plenty of videos of ones made on Youtube. I'd be interested on how they defined Plasma Projectiles being fired at up to 560 meters, though. A little plume out of the muzzle and some generated around the projectile, but a coherent plasma pellet would never stay together for that long, and given that plasma is simply ionised gas, would be difficult to accelerate.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chaplain

Plasma guns get hot tho especially when they are on 2+ armor guys and I roll 1 twice. Bloody plasma..

Chapter-Master

I want one.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness