BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If we could change the game.

If you could change rules or how the game worked how would you?
    My suggestions.
    1. Mastercrafted I would change it so if you take a master crafted weapon you could add or take away a rule one a weapon. For example a master crafted Thunderhammer could be given armor bane or take away unwieldy, something like that.

2. Charging should be d6+your I score. Example marines would be d6+4.

3. Tanks should have different stats for weapons. You are telling me the round size of a guard autocannon is the same as a predators?

4. Marines don't really feel like marines that you read about. But if you changed the marines you would have to make every army a bit better at what they do. In lore every marines has a damn combat blade but they don't have it on tt.... Feel like there should be Bolter then Astartes Bolter. Has shred or something similar to the eldar shuriken weapons on the roll of a wound of a 6 its ap3. Also termi armor like cool models but honestly over all meh. like t5 or w2 would make them great or ignore unwieldy.

5. I'm glad its definitely toned down compared to the past and really don't have to point it out but acceptance of forge world. Recent years never had issue using my stuff so that's good.

6. Also make multiple types of force orgs you could choose from. Like if you opened up the rule book to the army building section it would be like when building an army choose your force org style and get X rules and be restricted on X unit choices. Just have them available to all armies. Like personally id play unbound more but that's hardly accepted besides with friends

7. Take away formations personally never been a fan. Mainly because forge world units cant fit into them and some just have units listed you have to take id never take.

8. Pinning good rule makes sense but never really takes effect most units have some rule that prevents being pinned and ect.

Let me know what you guys think? Also make sure you list changes you would like to see
    Purge the Weak!

Veteran-Sergeant

This isn't really a rules wish list, but I wish every faction had a box of snap-fit starter miniatures. I'd love to see a crappy snap-fit rhino.
    "There's no use permitting some prophet of doom to wipe all your smiles away!"

Honestly thats not a bad idea. I know id buy them.
    Purge the Weak!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vangrail View Post
    1. Mastercrafted I would change it so if you take a master crafted weapon you could add or take away a rule one a weapon. For example a master crafted Thunderhammer could be given armor bane or take away unwieldy, something like that.
    Interesting idea, but a little too powerful, I believe. Especially when one considers that Mastercrafted isn't cheap enough to give them ArmourBane or Instant Death, or something even better.

2. Charging should be d6+your I score. Example marines would be d6+4.
    That could work. Most units who wish to Charge usually will have decent Initiative, and it would give that stat something to do besides just punching first. Also makes certain Eldar and Tyranid units that are less impressive a bit of an edge. Also 2D6 is just too random for my taste (even in Fantasy 8th).

3. Tanks should have different stats for weapons. You are telling me the round size of a guard autocannon is the same as a predators?
    A poor example, since they are both Tanks and vehicle mounts.

However, the Heavy Bolter mounted on a Leman Russ or Predator should be different than the crew-served variant carried by an Infantry Squad, Tactical Squad, or Sisters Squad. The Autocannon just as much.

4. Marines don't really feel like marines that you read about. But if you changed the marines you would have to make every army a bit better at what they do. In lore every marines has a damn combat blade but they don't have it on tt.... Feel like there should be Bolter then Astartes Bolter. Has shred or something similar to the eldar shuriken weapons on the roll of a wound of a 6 its ap3. Also termi armor like cool models but honestly over all meh. like t5 or w2 would make them great or ignore unwieldy.
    Well, there is the Movie Marines concept, but could you imagine the Movie Grey Knights?!?!

However, I would like to see Tactical Marines being able to show why they are better than Assault Marines and Devastator Marines. A Combat Blade would help in this matter, and make sense.

The increased T or W for Terminators on the other hand, I don't know. It would almost make them too cheap. I know they are expensive, but if you give a Command Squad Veteran a Power Fist and a Storm Bolter, they are actually more expensive than a Terminator, and that's not even considering the benefit of Relentless and 2+ AS in the equation.

5. I'm glad its definitely toned down compared to the past and really don't have to point it out but acceptance of forge world. Recent years never had issue using my stuff so that's good.
    Public acknowledgement would help. Coordination between studios would help, too. But let's face it, the Citadel-side needs to clean up their act first. They are very lazy in writing rules and it makes players work when they shouldn't.

6. Also make multiple types of force orgs you could choose from. Like if you opened up the rule book to the army building section it would be like when building an army choose your force org style and get X rules and be restricted on X unit choices. Just have them available to all armies. Like personally id play unbound more but that's hardly accepted besides with friends
    New generic detachments would be good (along with renaming the Allied Detachment to something less confusing). I'm all for it and it would help out, especially till everyone has Decurion-style Detachments.

7. Take away formations personally never been a fan. Mainly because forge world units cant fit into them and some just have units listed you have to take id never take.
    I cannot agree completely with this. There are ways to make them flexible, look at how the Codex Marine Formations work. Though, I do agree on letting the Forgeworld stuff tag along would be helpful for getting them out and played, provided they were only variants of what is already in the codex.

And let's face it, their limited unit list, including the crap, is part of what allows them to add strength to the detachment.

8. Pinning good rule makes sense but never really takes effect most units have some rule that prevents being pinned and etc.
    There are different types of Pinning, too. One is fear of being hit (blasts, sniper, etc.) which Fearless should overcome, but others are by the type of munition being used (gas, webbing, electroshock, etc) where a T or S Check would make sense.

As for my own thoughts:

Instead of Glancing hits causing Hull Point reduction, have them roll on the VDR. What is currently "Explodes!" only applies for Penetrating Hits, but only causes a Hull point loss for Glancing.

Clean up the rules and properly map them out so we know what is meant by each little difference the Rules make. This is my biggest pet peeve of the game, right now.

Necron C'tan Shard should come in two flavors, Lesser Monstrous Creatures and Transcendent Gargantuan Creatures, with a price to upgrade it and an augmentation of powers. Even if this was limited to one Shard per army, it would help bring a little character back in to these monsters to represent the threat they are in the fluff.

Powers of the C'tan would be rolled on at the beginning of the Turn instead of after choosing a target. If I can control where they go, I should be able to anticipate their power enough to target it somewhat properly.

There's a few others for the Necron codex, but I am too tired to go through them all right now.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by son_of_volmer View Post
    This isn't really a rules wish list, but I wish every faction had a box of snap-fit starter miniatures. I'd love to see a crappy snap-fit rhino.
    Not worth the cost of tooling them to be honest, you'd either have to replace the existing kits with more boring ones with fewer options otherwise you wouldn't sell enough of either to justify the costs.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Not worth the cost of tooling them to be honest, you'd either have to replace the existing kits with more boring ones with fewer options otherwise you wouldn't sell enough of either to justify the costs.
    They already have tooled molds for snap fit Chaos, Nids, Orks, Marines, and Guard.

There's no need to give these models variant poses. Cast all the necrons in the same pose as the original pewter models, (one single piece). Hell, farm the work out to China, use crappier terrain plastic, low quality face sculpt (Dolph Lundgren).

GW can provide new players with models they'll actually be mildly successful fielding (instead of stealth suits and piranhas), it allows first time buyers to exercise some choice. 

GW can certainly sell anything to a parent with a winy kid, but when the kid actually follows through on their hobby, the company gets more money. Models you can snap together easily can be fielded minutes after purchase. It results in fewer customers having boxes full of un-assembled models. Perhaps then we'll start to see a shift away from the fabled 80% collector-based customers.
    "There's no use permitting some prophet of doom to wipe all your smiles away!"

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by son_of_volmer View Post
    They already have tooled molds for snap fit Chaos, Nids, Orks, Marines, and Guard.

There's no need to give these models variant poses. Cast all the necrons in the same pose as the original pewter models, (one single piece). Hell, farm the work out to China, use crappier terrain plastic, low quality face sculpt (Dolph Lundgren).

GW can provide new players with models they'll actually be mildly successful fielding (instead of stealth suits and piranhas), it allows first time buyers to exercise some choice. 

GW can certainly sell anything to a parent with a winy kid, but when the kid actually follows through on their hobby, the company gets more money. Models you can snap together easily can be fielded minutes after purchase. It results in fewer customers having boxes full of un-assembled models. Perhaps then we'll start to see a shift away from the fabled 80% collector-based customers.
    Its a hobby, the biggest part of that hobby (according to GW who, although you might not agree probably know better that you) is the models and so most people don't want snap fit, the snap fit boxes they have don't sell well, they'd take away from them sales of proper kits too.

Do you know how much a metal mold for plastic injection costs to make? GW do it all in house so can save a lot but a single sprue is around £10,000 at the least. So these cheap snap fit kits, that are now competing with the detailed kits for collectors with poses and weapon options, reduce the profits on the full kits by taking away sales and would need to be at a lower price point themselves too, to give people a reason to buy them over the standard box.

It doesn't make any sense to offer that choice, yes, you might get more sales (and that's a maybe, you'll likely sell the same amount but some at a lower cost) but you'll reduce your profit over all.

First time buyers have choice, they can buy what they want, there are some boxed sets that add value and might include units you think are not optimal but if you don't play in a tournament mindset, which most new players don't, then its not that important.

What I can think of that I would change at the moment:

2 levels of unwieldy, "Unwieldy"(-1 I, on axes) and "cumbersome"(I set at 1, power-fists etc.)
    Make bulky/very bulky etc affect area terrain cover saves (so the larger a model get's the less protected from ruins etc.) and area cover would apply to vehicles (though obviously bigger=less cover)
    Gorkamorka style vehicle movement rules (vehicles "driving sideways irks my suspension of disbelief too much)
    Jink saves would vary by platform (I.e a Necron ghost ark can a shot jink as easily as an Eldar Vyper in current rules)
    And they shall know no fear (way too good a rule) would simply be "roll an additional dice and discard the highest when taking fear tests"
    Flying monsters being able to charge after landing
    Being allowed to charge from stationary transports again.
    D-Weapons would bypass invulnerable saves but only ever do D3 Hp/wounds (With instant death special rule)
    6th editions ruins and blast/template rules and non skimmer vehicles/bikes would not be able to go up floors without a ramp of some kind
    Stealth, Shrouded and Slow and purposeful would only affect the model(s) with the rule not their entire unit
    Feel no pain would be limited to 4+ (and not be allowed against things that allow no saves of any kind)
    Vehicles being attacked in melee hit based on their movement like older editions (i.e really easy when stationary, practically impossible when they moved flat out)
    The Ws chart changed so high Ws means more than just hit on a 3+ as it does now
    Allies of convenience would be the highest alliance level ("super-friends" and drop-pods for ally units is just wrong)
    Salvo would be changed to fire the lower amount of shots when moving (at full range) even with relentless
    Heavy weapons on jet-bikes limited to half range
    Smoke launchers would be reusable, and work like jink (snap-shots next turn, declare before to-hit rolls)
    Warp charge generated by a psyker would only be usable by that psyker (no psykers being bought merely as batteries)
    Instant death threshold changed from double toughness to toughness +4 (would help low T units/characters but wouldn't overly harm high T ones)
    Eternal warrior would work like the Gargantuan creature Unstoppable rule (D3 wounds lost by ID attacks)
    All monstrous creatures would have eternal warrior.
    All Grav weapons would fire less shots, and lose the auto-immobilize against vehicles
    Invulnerable saves would not being improvable past a 3+
    Stomps- change to I test for each model under template, take a hit at stomper's Str and Ap2 (makes much more sense than how a 2-5 currently is Str 6 ap4 against non-vehicles but effectivly str 15 against vehicles) . No stomping on units that aren't in the combat
    Move through cover would negate the I penalty of charging through terrain
    Over-watch would make the weapon(s) fired unusable in the owning player's next shooting phase
    Weapons that fired using Interceptor would be unusable in over-watch on the same turn
    Last edited by Djbz; 11-08-2015 at 03:23 PM.

Less doling out of the USR.

I know, controversial, but there it is.

I feel rending is overused, as is 'ignores cover'. Going back a couple of editions such things were much harder to come by - indeed Ignores Cover only really started coming out with the advent of Cities of Death. Think of how common FnP is now - it, and various other USR seem to have lost the 'S' part of their monicker.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

I'd like to see points costs removed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast