BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Skitarii - Tactics Query?

I am looking into getting some Skitarii to ally into my Cult Mechanicus, starting with just a few - 1x box of Rangers/Vanguard, and 1x box of Sicarian Ruststalkers to start with.

I was wondering which would be more useful - 10x Rangers or 10x Vanguard (or 5 man Squads of each).

also Sicarian Ruststalkers - is it worth it to have the Transonic Blades instead of Transonic Razors, Chordclaws and Mindscrambler Grenades?

I've played against Skitarii a few times and I can say that Vanguard are brutal against Infantry of all kinds with those radium carbines
    The Rangers don't seem nearly as good (from my being shot at by them perspective)
    As for Ruststalkers I've only played against them once (and I was using Daemons so they didn't really show their potential)
    Although I can definitely recommend Infiltrators with taser goads, (with the squad leader with the mask that gives them Zealot) they are brutal, and far more durable than their stat-line would suggest. (In my last game they hit my keeper of secrets with more attacks than they had, while it had invisibility cast on it!)

I haven't played a lot with mine, but I do like Vanguard over Rangers. I like fielding as many plasma calivers as possible and the omniscope.

The rangers are ok with the arquebus and are a bit situational but can be used for popping a sgt out of units.

The Infiltrators are awesome and I really like taser goads and fletchette pistols (five shots with fleshbane.)
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com