BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Abbess Sanctorum

We had a fifty page relatively civil discussion about it a few months ago, but it's pretty much an unspoken truce saying "no, let's not get into THAT again."
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    We had a fifty page relatively civil discussion about it a few months ago, but it's pretty much an unspoken truce saying "no, let's not get into THAT again."
    Actually, that thread DID remain remarkably civil. Despite the strong differences of opinion it stayed primarily above board, and there were even some very interesting discussions. Nevertheless, I for one have no desire to repeat that any time soon...

On the original subject, I for one would suggest simply using standard space marine bodies, as the sheer bulk of astartes power armor would completely conceal basic shape, not to mention the modified physique of the astartes themselves. If you really want to go with something more along the lines of the image you showed, I think the early suggestions of modifying Eldar and/or Dark Eldar female torsos would be the way to go.

Personally that direction for female armor doesn't fit my tastes, it looks impractical, and I prefer a more pragmatic and functional look on my few female soldiers. I can see why it works for certain units (such as sisters) who purposefully try to exaggerate their feminine characteristics for symbolic reasons, but otherwise it just seems strange to me.
    Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
    The worst is death, and death will have his day.

Chaplain

I've always liked the armor from Mass Effect.
    It flexible and tactical and energy based rather than just being plating. It also doesn't have outrageous boob cups.
    [url]http://media.photobucket.com/image/mass%20effect%20female%20shepard/silversorrow/MercenaryFemale-LightMediumHeavy.jpg[/url]
    Goodbye Bols!

Just so long as they are tastefully done. I don't like the ones the Sisters have, they're just too much.
    The thing is sculpted armor and fashion is almost ALWAYS over done for effect. This isn't just in miniature, but throughout history. Men certainly didn't need cod pieces that big, maybe one in 1000 roman officers looked that good in the buff, and there isn't a suit coat made on Earth that doesn't have shoulder pads. It was and is done for effect. We also shouldn't underestimate the psychological effect of something so overtly feminine, traditionally something seen as nurturing, cloaking a person intent on doing you horribly painful violence. Take something that looks like a fertility figure, give it a gun, and have it smile as it sets you on fire and you've got the makings of a wicked primal nightmare.

Add in that to see ANY feature with detail in miniature requires it to be over-sized, from huge heads and hands, to comically massive pauldrons, helmets and weapons, and you've got a perfect storm for representing female warriors with irrationally sculpted armor.

Librarian

While the SoB boob cups were a tad big, it was more akin IMO to comic books' Most Common Superpower than anything else. Because the demographic is mostly male, and males like boobs. They are one of the most awesome things in existence; right up there with french fries, alcohol, Oreo milkshakes, and the musical stylings of Ronnie James Dio.

Yeah I do tend to spout off idiotic things; part of my charm.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Lewis View Post
    While the SoB boob cups were a tad big, it was more akin IMO to comic books' Most Common Superpower than anything else. Because the demographic is mostly male, and males like boobs.
    I love boobs and hate silly looking armor. Where does that put me?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoblar with Pointy Stick View Post
    I love boobs and hate silly looking armor. Where does that put me?
    If you hate silly looking armor you're playing the wrong game.

Come on, sculpted boob plates are no different, nor any sillier than; helmets as tall, or longer, than the torsos of the people wearing them; than terminator models of marines whose bodies could not POSSIBLY fit in them; than naked heads obviously BIGGER than the helmets they are meant to wear.

This is NOT, and has never been intended to be, a realistic medium people.

Abbess Sanctorum

And I give a crap how? Oh wait I don't. I still want it done tastefully. It's not like they draw Space Marines with codpieces bigger than their ridiculous shoulder plates to try and show how manly they are. The Sisters of Battle models have apparently bigger, fuller breasts than Slaaneshi daemons, and I seriously hope I don't have to tell you why I find that frustrating, infuriating, and STUPID.
    Last edited by Melissia; 03-31-2010 at 11:43 AM.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

And I give a crap how? Oh wait I don't. I still want it done tastefully. It's not like they draw Space Marines with codpieces bigger than their ridiculous shoulder plates to try and show how manly they are. The Sisters of Battle models have apparently bigger, fuller breasts than Slaaneshi daemons, and I seriously hope I don't have to tell you why I find that frustrating, infuriating, and STUPID.
    I didn't say you cared. You obviously don't. I wasn't even quoting you.

The Sororitas as a whole don't have huge breasts. Look at the Repentia. Pretty standard miniature scale boobs. Their Battle Sister armor may, arguably, have bigger scale boobs and I've explained why: It's big bulky power armor. To convey their femininity in such big bulky armor, their models have big bulky breasts. As far as fantasy models go, they aren't even that bad, and despite assertions, are no where near the size of their pauldrons.

Speaking of pauldrons, males with huge shoulders are far more analogous to females with huge boobs than are males with huge cod pieces. It is typically only western European puritan cultures that over sex breasts, and consistently, erroneously, compare them to a phallus. The models do not not have huge camel toes, they have larger (and in terms of armor, at best useless, and most likely counter productive) molded breast cups, very much like every single male models' massive shoulders. Such padded over sized shoulders are an overt display of hyper masculinity in exactly the same way as padded breasts display hyper femininity.

This is all pretty standard anthropology/sociology/psychology here by the way. It's not as if this should be revelation.

Abbess Sanctorum

RE: Boob cups

Which, again, I disagree with the necessity of and think it looks moronic. The huge shoulder pads actually make a slight amount of sense, because their rounded shape would help deflect some of the power of shots a bit better. It reminds me of tower shields, how they were quite commonly curved in shape rather than flat The boob cups make no such sense, and serve no purpose except to look stupid.
    Last edited by Melissia; 03-31-2010 at 02:20 PM.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast