BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sun Shark rage

Honestly, it gets worse. They also didn't give the Sun Shark a Pulse Bomb in the first place still (just the generator that still doesn't say that it counts as having a Pulse Bomb originally). I mean this is obvious and only a complete jerk would argue that the plane doesn't have one, but they could have made it very clear by typing two words. Don't even get me started about how they left the cost of twin-linked burst cannon and twin-linked smart missile systems the same on the tanks even though the SMS is superior in every conceivable way. Lazy, indeed.

I am going to use it as is in my next game. I'm going to make a big deal about how crap it is, explaining at great length what is wrong with it. Knowing my usual opponents, they will definitely spend some firepower on my desperately jinking ar'se (Air caste pilot), and then....I'll play it like an ork, fly up into the face of a squad and deploy drones, T'its (Pneumatic female Tau pilot) ahoy. markerlight and Tl missile and 2 seekers, plus snap fire from two drones that "may" be blocking the enemy advance. The evil GW has made me think of Kamikaze Tau! If I'm still in the air the next round well then I shall beg to be allowed to drop the Cra'p Bomb, though some may argue it doesn't have one anyway. While that is happening I'll still have a TL missile pod.
    C'mon GW I'm reaching here.

So they are basically only useful once on the ground against other flyers, and thats the only time they can shoot their big template

Quote Originally Posted by andytriop View Post
    So they are basically only useful once on the ground against other flyers, and thats the only time they can shoot their big template
    Nope. They have permanent Skyfire, so they always have to Snap-Fire against Ground Targets. Meaning they can never fire their Templates.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Hi Bolsketeers, I've continued to request assistance regarding this rules conundrum and have at least some interesting news to report. Thanks go to Luke from Adelaide SA Games Workshop for his interpretation, which is as follows....
    According to narrative the Sun Shark Drones are specifically anti air, the fact that all ion weapons have an overcharge meant that that rule was included for completion's sake, as Drones can never fire the blast (I grumbled at this but, fair to middling explanation and I can live with it).
    while attached they can only fire at the same target as the bomber, so the idea is to detach them asap to become roving air defense. They can fire from the shark ,and the flyer can travel up to 18" (combat speed) before they have to snap fire as passengers. I hope that makes sense! Anyway once they are detached they can join a commander with drone controller to boost their BS to 5 against air targets. Hmmm! so there are some lurks and perks, I just have to let go of the idea of the small blasts, as they don't seem to be relevant to the drones. I don't think that this is a perfect solution, but Kudos to Luke for taking the time to present this way of utilising the SunShark drones. I will use it this way and see what happens. I'll build the other one as a Razor Shark, since I had plans to run two Sun Sharks, but without the small blasts against the ground targets, I'll diversify, improvise, adapt and overcome. Then be swept in H2H!! Such is the life of a Tau!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    Nope. They have permanent Skyfire, so they always have to Snap-Fire against Ground Targets. Meaning they can never fire their Templates.
    can they shoot them against FMCs theoretically?

FMCs and Antigrav. But it is still a bad, obvious and lazy copy&paste job. But according to another thread, it is impossible and too much to ask to avoid these known issues.

Antigrav can be Skyfired at?

I did not know that!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I see a deepstriking buffmander meeting up with these drones behind some Waveserpents, or removing cover (jink) on flyers, then BS 5... its bound to end badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedroom General View Post
    I see a deep-striking buffmander meeting up with these drones behind some Wave-serpents, or removing cover (jink) on flyers, then BS 5... its bound to end badly.
    Except they'll still be Bs 2 because the drone controller specifically only affects GUN, MARKER and SNIPER drones.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast