BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Wizard of Gore - confused mess.

Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead - absolutely fantastic so far! Australian black comedy. Think Shaun of The Dead mixed with Mad Max.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Occuli Imperator

I can't believe no one has mentioned the human centipede triology...
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    So this is the list of horror films that I think are worth watching...
    Thanks for the list - we've got enough overlap that I feel confident jumping in blind to those on the list I haven't seen (best way to view most movies, really).

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    I can't believe no one has mentioned the human centipede triology...
    Saw the first one, found it daft.

Tried the second, so bad I couldn't watch all of it

Third? Don't see the point
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    just watched Harbinger Down. it is basically a remake of The Thing, so on the one hand it wouldn't exist without The Thing first, on the other, it does some elements of it better. the monster is quite interesting, and is very much helped by modern special effects. definitely worth watching.
    watched that one tonight, yeah it is a shameless thing ripoff, but that is still a billion times better than the unending tide of zombie movies out there (for me anyway!) Great practical FX - the creatures seemed more shoggothy for the most part, which is good. Nice atmosphere too. Only thing I didn't like really was how the russian ended up the villain along with the anti-communist quips which made me roll my eyes.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

I am so heartily sick of zombie-anything, because it's all so derivative and cliched. There's so, so little good writing. Every hack just seems to think it's enough to stick ten assh*les in a room together and use the zombies as a way to hothouse them, without ever considering anything more than that. It's like, look, I get you loved 'Day of the Dead', but that film's been made, and a lot better. Even Charlie Brooker's 'Dead Set' didn't really succeed, and Charlie Brooker's the genius who made 'Black Mirror'. If you're not going to improve on what's already out there, why bother?

The only good zombie-related thing in the last decade was the BBC's 'In The Flesh', because it did something utterly new with the concept. Derren Brown's 'Apocalypse' wasn't bad either, but only because it was real. Everything else has just been wearying, and not in a good way.

Until someone makes a film of Garth Ennis' 'Crossed', I'm done with zombies as a concept. Especially now they're showing up in romantic comedies and the like. Just no. Take your lame-@ss Jane Austen joke concept and just f**k off.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is a crap read anyway. Piss poor writing and blending.

But there is good stuff out there. As a long time dead-head, I'll freely agree 90% of it is utter crap. But that 10% that's good is so worth it. Like the aforementioned Dawn of the Dead, the best ones use the Zombies as an external force. The real drama comes from the human interaction.

And now to go into Mr Mystery's History Box.

What's in the box I hear you cry?

Well, it's my complete collection of the Amicus anthology films. Each and everyone of them an absolute joy of low budget horror tomfoolery. Given they were restricted not just by budget but by zealous censors, the films are pretty damned good.

I don't think there's any on Netflix or Amazon Prime, but have a Google and see what you can dig up. Absolutely worth a whirl.

From my modern vault? The Pyramid. Overtures of Alien, but pretty well made and worth a watch.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    I am so heartily sick of zombie-anything, because it's all so derivative and cliched. There's so, so little good writing. Every hack just seems to think it's enough to stick ten assh*les in a room together and use the zombies as a way to hothouse them, without ever considering anything more than that. It's like, look, I get you loved 'Day of the Dead', but that film's been made, and a lot better. Even Charlie Brooker's 'Dead Set' didn't really succeed, and Charlie Brooker's the genius who made 'Black Mirror'. If you're not going to improve on what's already out there, why bother?

The only good zombie-related thing in the last decade was the BBC's 'In The Flesh', because it did something utterly new with the concept. Derren Brown's 'Apocalypse' wasn't bad either, but only because it was real. Everything else has just been wearying, and not in a good way.

Until someone makes a film of Garth Ennis' 'Crossed', I'm done with zombies as a concept. Especially now they're showing up in romantic comedies and the like. Just no. Take your lame-@ss Jane Austen joke concept and just f**k off.
    I dislike them because they have 2 arms and 2 legs If it ain't floatin' or slitherin' it ain't good enough for this Thing.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Chapter-Master

28 Days Later and 28 Weeks later, doesn't get much better than those for zombies.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Nothing beats 'Crossed' as far as scary zombies go.

it's the standard 'plague sweeps the world; transmission vector is fluids' thing. Said plague doesn't reanimate the dead. It just switches off all human empathy and ramps up the sadism. So you've got a planet suddenly filled with highly intelligent people, none of whom are interested in anything except hurting others for fun. They can't be reasoned with, they all know how to use weapons and they absolutely want to catch you.

It's utterly horrible, because the 'zombies' in it aren't slow or fast - they do things like putting bodily fluids onto their weapons so that the slightest nick and you're one of them. That includes ranged weapons. If they get bored, they start to hurt each other, and the ones who are getting hurt clearly love it. I don't actually think I've ever seen anything that quite comes close to how horrible 'Crossed' is.

It's really obvious that Garth Ennis wrote it entirely as a huge 'f**k you' to both zombie films and every zombie fan who thought 'I know what I'd do in a zombie apocalypse'.

'Oh you do, huh? Well how would you survive this one?'
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast