BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: What do you believe is the best way to build an all Battlesuit army?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Farsight Enclaves Army Rules

5 55.56%
  • New Codex Formations (Retaliation Cadre + ?)

4 44.44%

Question Best Method to Build an All Battlesuit Army: TE Formations Of Farsight Enclaves?

I was building an all Battlesuit army before the new Tau codex came out using the Farsight Enclaves Supplement but now with the 2nd option of using the formations from the book I'm unsure if I should use the formations instead or stick with the Farsight Enclaves Army List?
    The formations provide some great special rules and allow the use of Tau Empire Signiature Gear and Warlord Traits, but lack good independent Markerlight support (Mark'o Drone Squadrons and Tetras) plus variety outside the other formations.

So what are your thoughts on which is the best method to build a Battlesuit army?
    A LOG OF LOYAL SORCERERS & REBEL GRETCHIN!

Brother-Sergeant

If you can, wait for a fortnight...

Chapter-Master

I have a Farsight army and I am sticking to that, there are rumours of a new Farsight Enclaves book coming, which will mean formations for them. there is no reason why you can't try both though and see what works for you.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Both, because there's no reason not to.

Retaliation for position. OSC because why not. HRC because you want them GMCs. Give'em FSE's buffs and just take what you want. All you lose is access to Aun'Va and Shadowsun, while everything else is fair game.

Although you don't need Farsight leading your army, to me it ain't a Farsight Enclaves army without Farsight, and for now you can't use him in the Tau Empire formations. Besides having battlesuits as troops is still viable, especially now that you can have bigger unit sizes and you can fill those Elite spots with riptides, ghostkeels and stealth suits. You could also fit in bodyguards too, but with regular battlesuits with bigger unit sizes, those are cheaper to field and still have ObSec compared to the bodyguard teams. There are rumours going around of a mont'ka suppliment and new Enclaves books coming soon, and most likely they will have new Farsight friendly formations in that. Perhaps even new signature systems too.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTycho View Post
    Although you don't need Farsight leading your army, to me it ain't a Farsight Enclaves army without Farsight, and for now you can't use him in the Tau Empire formations. Besides having battlesuits as troops is still viable, especially now that you can have bigger unit sizes and you can fill those Elite spots with riptides, ghostkeels and stealth suits. You could also fit in bodyguards too, but with regular battlesuits with bigger unit sizes, those are cheaper to field and still have ObSec compared to the bodyguard teams. There are rumours going around of a mont'ka suppliment and new Enclaves books coming soon, and most likely they will have new Farsight friendly formations in that. Perhaps even new signature systems too.
    Possibly, but you could put him in a Standard CAD, as a second detachment to your Hunter Cadre/Retaliation Cadre until they do.

I'd stick with the Farsight book for now, seems the most straight forward way to play it.

Scout

Why can't you take a Farsight CAD and attach the formations to it? As for markerlight support, I use a Marker Drone squad and join Sub-commander Torchstar to them +2 marker drones, and all of them hit on 2+ with Torchstar's drone controller.

Brother-Captain

Stick to FE. That's the primary reason why people want the Farsight Enclaves to begin with: XV8 suit units as troops. Beyond that, I couldn't give a rats arse about formations. The ability to take so many suits as troops is great and opens up the Elite slots for Riptides and Ghostkeels (we don't know if FE will get the new suits, but they got the riptide...so...yeah, why not the others too?). Then add in a few Broadside teams (or Hunter Cadres for extra tank-killing power) and then you're set.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214