BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Older models

Scout

Default Older models

Hi everyone,
    I never have played in tournaments or anything. I've always played a little back from the cutting edge. I was collecting 8th books and armies up to 6 months before AoS was released. I like the balance of my armies and I like to create scenarios that are fun for my kids can play. I actually like the AoS rules, I just still like the old models and fluff.

I'm in grad school and working, so my attention went away from gaming for a bit. Have they incorporated older army warscrolls and models into the new fluff? Do people like how they're doing this? I'm still deciding whether to just remain with 8th edition or to use my old models with new warscrolls and new scenarios. Do the new books outline cool scenarios and warscrolls for older models?

Should I just move over to Kings of War?

Thanks for your input,
    -Bill

Chapter-Master

I am not an expert on the new background, but I believe the old armies have been incorporated in some fashion yes
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Some of the older armies will remain, some won't. The fluff is still a serious work in progress right now, and only the Lizardmen (now Seraphon) have gotten something working their current models into the fluff (basically by saying they look the same because they're all spirits now). Empire and Bretonnia will almost certainly be gone at some point, because those realms just don't exist any more (and that'd mesh with getting away from historical backgrounds for armies). The Elves will likely be pooled together into one, but that'll take some time... there's just no reason for the High/Dark Elf split (I can't remember at the moment if there's mention of Elves outside of Alarielle in the realm of the Sylvan spirits, but that's where Wood Elves would be). Dwarfs seem to be very different in the fluff. Ogres will probably end up different eventually. Not sure on Orcs and Goblins, they're kind of generic enough they can be meshed in with no serious issue. Chaos and Skaven are pretty much the same as always (though Kairos is alive again, and Archaon is not only un-obliterated but has changed a lot). Undead are pretty much same as always, without really an explanation right now for why there might be different types (though I wouldn't be surprised to see the Khemri side of the Undead eventually phased out... a shame as it's really nice stuff, but it's very blatantly Egyptian, and so far I think we've just had Nagash, the Mortarchs, and mostly VC-type stuff floating around. (The Morghasts are the closest to something Khemri-esque, but aren't distinctly Egyptian.)

There's no clear answer, and things might change as time goes on.

If you have models on square bases, you can just grab Kings of War and play it while waiting to see what the official word is. It's pretty cheap since you already have models. Then if you like what's done with your army in AoS, you can play both games with the same models.

Scout

That's sort of what I gathered from just looking at the website, but I wasn't sure if there was something in the recent books that I missed. I got in on the KoW kickstarter, so I'm definitely trying that, but I'll try out the new rules, too. Not a big fan of the Sigmarite dudes. The models look top-notch - the demigod wars is just not appealing to me. I really like the new Seraphon models. So, it's sort of a wait and see in terms of certain other ranges - as you say. Thanks.

In the meantime, you can use the warscrolls they've provided to still use your models to at least give the game a test run.

If you come to like the game, but your faction ends up not making the cut, you can probably make some "headcanon" for their existence (i.e. the winds of magic carried a large band of Empire soldiers through a rift in time and deposited them in the AoS realms) and talk people into letting you continue to use the warscrolls they put on the website.