BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't even...

Chapter-Master

you will find no shortage of ugly mugs on ebay for £20+
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Banned

True, but most of those places don't have somewhere called "the design studio" as an integral part of their business

Chapter-Master

well no, most of them are mug designers professionally, and not a model company making some awful christmas products...
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    not a lot of money for a mug
    Actually, it is. This mug's design is insanely basic, and I'm not sure what the size is. I tend to collect mugs, so I did get one of the "paint pots" last year, but it also came with a handy tin to store stuff in. I know how much mugs go for, and $17 for something so basic and boring is just ridiculous. You can get a 17oz mug designed in the shape of the TARDIS complete with a lid for $20.

Still not nearly as bad as the tape measure, but still not something that should be considered in the sane price range.

My answer is to just not buy it. But I can understand if other people feel the need to vent about something so inane.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    well no, most of them are mug designers professionally, and not a model company making some awful christmas products...
    So you either license that stuff out to someone who can do it right, or you don't say "We're a model company!" and try to sell stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with modeling.

Heck, they could have easily taken any of the art they have - so many various pieces! - and had that printed on mugs and sold those, and people wouldn't bat an eye at paying $20 for them. (I'd still consider it too much if they weren't at least 16oz, but that's my personal view.) See? They don't even have to do mug design. Just recycle art. That easy!

If they want to sell their brand (which is what they're trying to do, more and more), they should put some effort into it.

Chapter-Master

Yeah, it is an awful looking mug and and seeing them did make me go "what the f**k?", I actually thought someone had put something in my weed when I saw it.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Veteran-Sergeant

This is one of my favourite mugs, I got it free from work as a promotion by the electrical goods company Zanussi, designed by someone who may or may not still be passionate about graphic design but presumably makes their living from doing it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bum arf arf copy 3.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	415.6 KB 
ID:	16472

It has a bum related word across the front which probably should have been spotted before they went to print.

On the issue at hand.

Tenner for a branded mug is fairly reasonable, more than my R2-D2 mug, less than my Pantone 1505 mug and my present fav, the event only Deathguard mug. Depends on how much you like mugs really.
    https://uk.pinterest.com/completeHook/

Brother-Captain

I will never understand the rage when GW puts out some totally non-essential thing at a high price. I get that something you might buy being expensice is annoying, but why be mad about the price of something utterly inconsequential?
    It's like wandering through a supermarket and being offended by their overpriced dog-turds.
    You aren't going to buy one, they're a bit ****, so why care that they're expensive?
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Chaplain

It's sheer existence (and the fact that some people actually buy this stuff) is a symptom of humanity's woes.

Or something like that.

Maybe use it as a vase to get some value out of it, vases can be pretty epensive.

I actually just take offense at how bad the people making decisions are getting. Sure, these are probably stupid cheap to make, so just selling 10% of them will make a profit, but cluttering store shelves with overpriced product that won't move is a terrible idea. Eventually you'll have to do something with all the unsold product, and you would have made more money by just putting the price at something more reasonable. They really do seem to think their name or logo is pure gold that will sell anything, and it's not, and any sense of the market would tell them it isn't, but it's like everyone making decisions at Games Workshop is isolated in a bunker with no concept of the outside world.

It's like this: A really crappy designed website might not cause me actual harm, but I'll still complain about it, and take offense to it on a professional level.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post

It's like this: A really crappy designed website might not cause me actual harm, but I'll still complain about it, and take offense to it on a professional level.
    Take offense by all means buy I have no idew why you think complaints do anything. If they gave a damn what you thought they Woulda asked your opinion when they biilt it.

Erik or whoever not liking something does not equate a bad product. Just means you don't like it.

Good to see u commenting again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast