BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rhino weapons

Chaplain

Default Rhino weapons

So I'm currently building a rhino, and nearly done with it. I'm at the stage now where I'm planning the weapons/upgrades for it.

I know that the Rhino comes with a storm bolter by default, but does anyone ever upgrade the Rhino with a hunter-killer missile or a secondary storm bolter (pintle-mounted)?

If so, which do you use? And do they ever pay off?
    "What scares us is I think we needed violence."
    http://reddragons40k.blogspot.com/

I normally keep it with just the lone storm bolter. To me its more a fast bunker and LoS blocker, any shooting that it does is kinda an after thought. Some people swear by the 2nd storm bolter and I wouldn't totally knock it. Its more up to personal preference.
    letsagetabitarockin!

Veteran-Sergeant

I usually buy Dozer blades for my Rhinos - partially because I don't have the heart to tear them off my old RT-era Rhinos (WYSIWYG), but mostly because I play on tables that usually have a lot of difficult terrain, and it's helpful to be able to move through those areas without too much risk.

Beyond that, the Rhino is really just a cardboard box for delivering your tactical squads where they need to be. For that, Extra Armour is fairly good, and I've earned my points back on those several times.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRollRebel View Post
    Some people swear by the 2nd storm bolter and I wouldn't totally knock it.
    See, that's what I'm really contemplating. The hunter-killer missile seems overpriced and incredibly risky, considering it's a single-use weapon.

But a secondary storm bolter, for 10 points, would provide two additional shots per turn, totaling four shots which is pretty good as an anti-infantry tactic. Essentially it equates the same firepower as a stationary 4-man bolter squad for only 10 points more.

Decisions, decisions...

Brother-Sergeant

i usually take the extra pintle-mounted bolter because not only does it give you two more shots, but you also have an extra weapon that can be destroyed if all you are focused on is getting from one place to another.

Brother-Captain

Ditton on Papa Smurf there. I go with that and I do take the HK as well, but that's generally a weapon I take on every tank.

John M.

Librarian

Depends on if you are using your bus all mech like to drive around, open the top hatch and spit melta at the other man's tanks... however if you're using it as a legitimate transport that definitely go for the extra storm bolter

Chaplain

I added a second storm bolter. It just seemed like a wise choice. Now I'm contemplating making the Rhino into a Razorback with twin-linked heavy bolters.

A question about the Rhino's firepoint though: In the codex, it says "two models may fire from the Rhino's hatch." Does this stay true with the dual storm bolters? It doesn't say it replaces them, it just says you may add a storm bolter.

If so, I can only think of how many shots will be pouring from my Rhino while enroute.

Brother-Captain

Yes, as the firepoints are not the same spots as the storm bolter locations. 1 rhino can have 6 openings on it. The two domes for Storm Bolters, the top hatch, the side doors and the rear ramp. That's a lot of coverage for making sure you can shoot still.

(now granted this is from a chaos player PoV) If my rhinos are starting on the board i always take pintle mounted havoc launchers, 48" s5 ap5 twin linked small blast why yes please. but if its one of my outflanking chosen rhinos i just keep em cheap 35 pts. For loyalists I would take HK missiles if and only if i can take at least 10 of them (preferably more) (rhinos, rzrbcks, dreads, etc.) to have an unlimited range krak missile alpha strike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast