BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I really like them...not sure about the feet rather than hooves on one but they look like fun to paint and pretty striking.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan66 View Post
    I really like them...not sure about the feet rather than hooves on one but they look like fun to paint and pretty striking.
    And only 60 quid.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Your kidding...? That's great, the first thing I like since AOS came out and GW want to yank my trousers down.

They seem to be the same size, if not larger, than the Chaos Lords on Daemonic Steeds.

They're steep, but so nice.

I still want to see what other toys come with Everchosen.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

Yeah, they are looking like they're pretty big models, much bigger than Chaos Knights, the price is steep but its pretty much in line with a box of new things that size.

The look ace and I would guess we're looking at 3 weapon options each? Probably quite a few other cool bits spread around too, I think my Rotbringers might need to throw their lot in with the Exalted Grand Marshall!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan66 View Post
    Your kidding...? That's great, the first thing I like since AOS came out and GW want to yank my trousers down.
    Well if you smile sweetly they might give you a reach round.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    They seem to be the same size, if not larger, than the Chaos Lords on Daemonic Steeds.
    But GW overprices character models "because they're characters," so now it's okay to overprice units because they're similar size to overpriced characters? Eh?

And if you just keep ramping up the size of the toy soldiers and increasing the price to go with it, AoS is going to end up with just 20 models a side tops because that's all that'll fit, and still cost as much as a full scale army in WFB despite its own prices getting out of hand in places (hi, Witch Elves!). For the half-dozen people who can afford that, I'm sure it'll be great fun, but if you destroyed your 30-year-old game whose IP is so popular it's still selling video games because people couldn't afford to play the game, maybe don't follow up with a game that you just keep running up the cost on until people have to pay as much but have a lot fewer models?

I'd really like to know what goes on in the pricing discussions. Or if they even have a Pricing team who looks at the market and determines prices based on what people can spend and are willing to spend and what competitors are priced at. Probably not... sometimes it's like they pride themselves on trying not to be a real company (which is weird, because it seems they have more suits involved these days than back when they had no problem with an editor calling himself "Fat Bloke" or showing pictures of a guy who looked like he belonged in an 80s metal band).

Actually, a lot of skirmish games have a lot less than 20 miniatures on the table top.

Amazes me a bit to see folks building gaming boards that have to cost an arm and leg only to plop a handful of minis that, in some cases such as infinity, you can barely see. Guess that is why they paint them so brightly.

The new knights are almost certainly bigger than the old ones. And I guarantee you, when you are playing Age of Sigmar with the new figures (which are 40mm not 28mm), you will have no problem seeing them.

The fact of the matter is, most people don't have the time to paint hundreds of minis anymore. Sure you see some folks putting on fantastic displays of historical battles in 28mm, but the young folks... they have too many other things to do than put hundreds of hours into painting stuff before they can even play it. I mean look at the guy who burned his Warhammer army... he had tons of unpainted or partially painted minis. When I, for example, got into wargaming the only distraction there was at home was the TV, and I used to paint with that on. So, we have moved into a new era where there are lots of competing forms of entertainment and miniature gaming has got to keep up if it is to survive.

As for the character models... I must say I was a bit skeptical on their pricing at first. But when you get your hands on them and paint them, they are loaded with so many details that they are worth the price. In fact, though most folks tend to paint their "Army" to one standard and their "Heros" to a better standard (to stand out), if you paint your heros to the same standard as your army (given you are not a complete novice) the models WILL stand out on the table top... guaranteed.

Now in this business (like most businesses) you pretty much have two major strategies if you want to make money: High Volume, Low Prices or Low Volume, High Prices. An example of High Volume, Low Prices is Zombicide. These folks make a small profit on what they sell, but because they sell a **** ton, they make lots of money. GW has obviously moved in the other direction into the Low Volume, High Price strategy which means they must produce very high quality miniatures, of which they make a lot of money, even if they don't sell a whole lot. You may not like that, but that is the way it is. Obviously box sets and specialty games are a separate category which offer lots of value for the money to just about anyone interested int he subject.

So the bottom line here is that world is changing and so is GW, obviously. The question is, is it a good idea? I personally think it is from a business POV because we have lots of converging technologies which are soon going to be slugging it out for the High Volume, Low Price niche (a niche which is already pretty saturated). 3D printing, for example, will radically change the High Volume Low, Price niche... and only the most agile producers will be able to cope with that change.

So yea, when you look at the future, technology and slave based global economic competition the wisest move isn't to try to compete against these forces but to side step them and produce Great Product... similar to what Germany produces (and it is not just cars, believe me), and not compete with these folks at all.

You want cheap minis... buy from China. You want high quality minis... then you look at folks like Infinity and GW, who make their stuff at home.

There's a difference between having 20 models because that's the typical size of the game, and having just 20 models because they're all so big you can't put any more on the table.

I can get high quality minis without spending a ridiculous amount. I can even get "solid quality" minis for what, next to this stuff, is insanely cheap and almost giving it away (yet at one point would have been the expected price for GW's stuff).

If GW's going to ultra-uber-niche, so they can sell a few items with a really high price point, they're going to eventually kill themselves, or just become irrelevant. If very few people can afford their products, then they'll be stuck relying on 3rd parties to promote their IP, which could be a disaster, especially in the Warhammer world where all the licensed stuff is a different setting than the current miniatures.

But hey, maybe GW right now is deciding they don't want most of us to be customers. Maybe GW's telling us all to go take our money to competitors. Stupid business decision, especially when your sales are falling, but hey, if that's what they want me to do, I suppose I can oblige...

I agree with Eric on this...the whole point of AOS is to get more people playing fantasy ( and in the longer term to bring both warhammer systems together as one; but let's not get into that now) but if they keep ramping up the size and price of figures it's not going to work. I still love these guys though, properly naughty chaos dudes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast