BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Their niche is only "profitable" for as long as they can keep finding costs to cut and salaries to freeze. Eventually if they don't unfreeze salaries that will get good employees to leave, and cutting costs eventually cuts hardcore into quality. They want more revenue, so they can't push for a "niche." Your words don't match the reality that they're holding their employees' raises hostage if they don't get revenue growth. Revenue growth doesn't come from becoming more niche, because the only way to make that happen is keep pushing more and more expensive products and hope that some incredibly rich people suddenly decide your hobby is for them. So if their plan is to go more niche and still try to increase revenue while also trying to open stores and get into toy stores and book stores (which would be trying to hit a more mainstream audience), then they are even dumber than my lowest view of them already suspected them to be. (And I find it amusing that people so often, in attempting to defend GW's policies, actually just help point out how insanely stupid they are for a company looking to get more money.)

If they don't want my money, that's fine. Seems soon they're going to be deciding the entire northeast Florida and southeast Georgia region isn't good enough to be their customers. I'll gladly give my money to someone else. Bad enough it's to a point where you have to buy a $150 boxed set to even be able to enter a campaign, and events taking up all the store's tables are "invite only" so even if people wanted to play games with their pricey toys they couldn't.

- - - Updated - - -

More on topic... (sort of)

Saw Archaon in a match last night. Granted, he was going against Lizardmen, but it was the store manager's army and he's rusty on AoS (VERY rusty). Archaon only lasted to the middle of the second turn's Shooting Phase. Got hammered with mortal wounds, wasn't able to save them. Seems he can shrug off all the little stuff, but throw big stuff at him and he'll go poof soon enough. Still was kind of silly to see a giant swarm of Saurus Warriors who not only couldn't hurt him, but actually were taking wounds from trying to attack him.

He's very, very killy, but if your opponent brings the right uber-killy stuff, he can die. So... rock-paper-scissors, basically.
    'Good' is relative old bean, bear in mind,

"At Games Workshop we are looking for people who will do their best to understand the needs of the company and to put those needs first when they are at work. Because of this we believe that what you are like, hence the attitude you show to work and the way you choose to behave is even more important than your skills or experience."

It's not a zero sum game but in my experience good for GW is often bad for everyone else.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Well, I can tell everyone is overcome with excitement at the release of the tzeentch Lord on disk this week !
    I can't blame you. It's not exactly original...or even good. If you want a tzeentch disc rider, what's wrong with the tzeentch daemonic chariot ? You get loads of cool extra bits too.
    I guess the real question is what's next, what is this fella going to pull through the realm gates ?

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan66 View Post
    Well, I can tell everyone is overcome with excitement at the release of the tzeentch Lord on disk this week !
    I can't blame you. It's not exactly original...or even good. If you want a tzeentch disc rider, what's wrong with the tzeentch daemonic chariot ? You get loads of cool extra bits too.
    I guess the real question is what's next, what is this fella going to pull through the realm gates ?
    As a homage to SFX vision of GDT it's not bad, and certainly worth a tenner of anyone's money.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

My biggest problem with the model is that it's designed to only be built one way (a common theme with recent GW releases), though according to the fluff there's very few of them around, so *in theory* someone wouldn't have more than one (though in AoS, you can have ten Archaon's if you want to).

But more than that, I wanted to find the person who writes their marketing blurbs and punch him so hard he'll have lights dancing in his vision for the next month. They called it "faceless," despite it having a mouth (which is part of a face)... and those eyes on the helmet-like stalk things coming out of his head might be functional as well, meaning he has eyes and a mouth. If missing a nose makes someone "faceless," then I guess Voldemort is "faceless," as is anyone who's had an accident and lost their nose. It's like they throw out buzzwords they think are "cool" even though they make absolutely no sense. If you're a miniatures company, you should know better than to claim a miniature with a face is "faceless."

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    My biggest problem with the model is that it's designed to only be built one way (a common theme with recent GW releases), though according to the fluff there's very few of them around, so *in theory* someone wouldn't have more than one (though in AoS, you can have ten Archaon's if you want to).

But more than that, I wanted to find the person who writes their marketing blurbs and punch him so hard he'll have lights dancing in his vision for the next month. They called it "faceless," despite it having a mouth (which is part of a face)... and those eyes on the helmet-like stalk things coming out of his head might be functional as well, meaning he has eyes and a mouth. If missing a nose makes someone "faceless," then I guess Voldemort is "faceless," as is anyone who's had an accident and lost their nose. It's like they throw out buzzwords they think are "cool" even though they make absolutely no sense. If you're a miniatures company, you should know better than to claim a miniature with a face is "faceless."
    It's just a copy writing job Erik. They know it's meaningless rhubarb, we know it's meaningless rhubarb, try not to get too hooked up on it.

Chapter-Master

Did anyone get this battletome yet? What else is in it beside Archeon, Gaunt Summoner and Varanguard. Surely it has more than that...
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

From what I understand, that's your lot units wise, barring various formations.

I'm in it for the background. Which reminds me. I really, really need to go back to my background thread and add synopses of the missing Battletomes....
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    It's just a copy writing job Erik. They know it's meaningless rhubarb, we know it's meaningless rhubarb, try not to get too hooked up on it.
    It's sloppy marketing. Maybe their customers don't care, but that's no reason to admit that you think your customers just don't care what you say.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234