BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Default Can an IC join a unit of Carnifexes?

Most people seem to reject the idea on principle, but the rules seem to allow it.

"Independent characters are allowed to join other units. They cannot, however, join vehicle squadrons (see the Vehicles section) and units that always consist of a single model (like most vehicles and monstrous creatures)."

The restriction seems to be on units that always consist of a single model, not specifically on monstrous creatures. The parenthetical even says "most". Are there any other rules problems with an IC joining to a unit of carnifexes?

There aren't many ICs in the tyranid codex who would be a worthwhile addition to a squad of carnifexes, but in a team game there are some rather silly combos.

Abbess Sanctorum

I dunno. I don't think it was intended...

Seems to be rather squirrelly.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

First-Captain

yes they can since they dont HAVE to consist of one model. Its things like DoM which cant be joined as he would normally be 1 model unless taking with a Indy.

now i may be wrong, but I thought IC's couldn't join a unit of MC's will have to look in the book later but I believe there is something in there about that

First-Captain

It says may not join units of normally one model such as monsterous creatures which until now have been 1 model only

Veteran-Sergeant

An IC may join carnifexes because carnifexes now have the option to come in broods of more than one. Note that most other monstrous creatures are denied this possibility since their unit size is only ever one.

The many joys of attaching a Tyranid Prime to a Carnifex include:
    majority toughness of 6!
    easy cover!
    Embarking =/= Nemesis Force Weapon

I don't get how anyone could possibly be opposed to this, except by virtue of being grumpy and wanting to deny you things because they can. It's not a particularly strong option and the rules are quite clear that he is allowed to.

It says may not join units of normally one model such as monsterous creatures which until now have been 1 model only
    Bzzzt, try again. It actually says "May not join units which always consist of one model, such as most monstrous creatures." (Emphasis mine.) The prohibition is against joining units that are always one strong- monstrous creatures are just an example of a common type of this unit.

I dunno. I don't think it was intended...

Seems to be rather squirrelly.
    On what basis and how is it "squirrely"? I don't understand.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by AbusePuppy View Post
    On what basis and how is it "squirrely"? I don't understand.
    It wasn't allowed in previous editions, and the rulebook doesn't come out and say in plain language that an IC may join carnifexes. It may be an intended change, or it may be an unintended consequence of the way the rules interact.

For 1v1 play, I don't mind. I have yet to see anything broken come from it. For 2v2 play, the possibilities are squirrelier.
    Last edited by Lerra; 04-04-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Brother-Sergeant

SO could you use a lord to veil a Catan??? Just a thought not sure if it works or not???

Quote Originally Posted by Lerra View Post
    It wasn't allowed in previous editions, and the rulebook does come out and say in plain language that an IC may join carnifexes. It may be an intended change, or it may be an unintended consequence of the way the rules interact.

For 1v1 play, I don't mind. I have yet to see anything broken come from it. For 2v2 play, the possibilities are squirrelier.
    Obviously it's an unintentional change, but that doesn't make it unforseen. The fact that the rulebook does not explicitly permit is is irrelevant- there is no such rule specifically allowing ICs to join units of Tactical Marines or Thunderwolf Cavalry, either, but I can't imagine anyone calling either of those examples "squirrely."

The fact that many players don't realize it's a legal move is beside the point, because it doesn't rely on any kind of ambiguous language in the rulebook or odd loopholes. What an IC can and cannot join is spelled out in very specific detail, and if players overlook or misinterpret that, it is their own fault, not their opponent's. I know Marine players who still don't know how ATSKNF works with Sweeping Advances or regrouping, but that doesn't make using those rules (or the multi-charge rules, or Dreadnaught pivots, or any other poorly-understood section of the book) some sort of underhanded tactic. It is the responsibility of both players in a game to know the way the rules function. And, certainly, in many cases things are unclear or poorly written, but I simply don't see how that can be the case here.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast