BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Abbess Sanctorum

ERr, my bad, I was thinking of missiles apparently. Regardless, even just two assured S6 hits can kill a transport, for example, for fairly cheap, and the blasts are nice even at S3.

Brother-Captain

Well yes they serve different rolls.
    But the both really should be the same cost, but because they were sooo awesome last ed...they are over costed this ed.

I do use them occationally, but pretty much only with my IG.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Abbess Sanctorum

Err, what? You mean grenade launchers are overcosted?

Uh... no?

If you mean plasmaguns, I'd actually still say no. Marines get them for cheap, and Guardsmen are already cheap anyway, with Veterans being quite able to pack plasmaguns in a chimera and have multiple squads and still have enough for tanks.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Kahoolin View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. It costs the same as a flamer.

I use them in infantry platoon command squads. Makes them less of a target than a flamer bomb, and grenade launchers are cheap, dual-role, and blast weapons. Three blast templates on a squad of marines is going to hurt them in my experience (even with S3), all for the cost of ONE plasma gun. Grenade launchers may look weak on paper but they work OK for me.

On topic, I run vet meltas for anti-tank and plasma in my CCS for toasting marines. They each have a function and can't be directly compared, simple as that. That said I don't run much melta - I like to hit enemy armour with battle cannons as well as melta guns, keeps 'em on their toes
    I'm not really into the guard scene but in the old book it was 6pts for a Flamer, 8pts for a Grenade Launcher and I think 10 for either a Melta or Plasma Gun. Same with =][= Storm Troopers who could take Flamers for 5pts or a Grenade Launcher at cost with a Melta or Plasma Gun.

Speaking of the grenade launcher being over costed who the heck decided the pricing on the plasma guns in this edition? I get that its harder for you to blow yourself up with but since they nerfed the pistol and the blast weapon rules changed I usually find it hard to convince myself to take a pistol or cannon

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by eagleboy7259 View Post
    Speaking of the grenade launcher being over costed who the heck decided the pricing on the plasma guns in this edition? I get that its harder for you to blow yourself up with but since they nerfed the pistol and the blast weapon rules changed I usually find it hard to convince myself to take a pistol or cannon
    I was commenting on the pricing of melta vs plasma. all non-vehcile plasma carries a stupid amount of risk for the points you pay.

New Guard book: grenade launch, sniper rifle, flamer, all 5 points. In fact execpt for the 1 point Search light upgrade for sentinals and the 3 point bolt gun update for officers everything in the new book is in 5 or 10 point incriments.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Chapter-Master

Plasma is rare.

That has always been a theme in 40k.

Plasma Pistols are for decorated officers/soldiers.

Plasma Cannons are difficult to come by.

However, they do rock--- but they have a very limited scope of application- Anti-heavy infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    Plasma is rare.
    Not in my army, we pack tons of the stuff!

Into guard? Check my blog - http://corbaniaprime.blogspot.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123