BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

all right there are alot of good points thanks guys now i can think twice when it comes to takeing plasma kinda want to try it on a company command squad

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by ColCorbane View Post
    I wonder how long this debate is going to go on for before people realise that it's no different than comparing a grenade launcher and a flamer, they're two different weapons that are used for different roles and which one you decide to take depends completely on what role you want the unit to fulfil.
    People actually use grenade launchers?

Quote Originally Posted by eagleboy7259 View Post
    People actually use grenade launchers?
    my IG buddy uses them all the time

Librarian

Not to de-rail the conversation but why would one take a grenade launcher? I generally thought it was the weakest of the four weapons that was offered to squads, and doesn't it price out in between the flamer and meltagun in cost?

Abbess Sanctorum

An Imperial Guard Veteran Squad actually seems the best place to have plasma guns. Three BS4 plasmaguns firing out of a chimera = awesome.

I am in favor of a mixed approach to melta vs plasma in my veteran squads. Usually 2 meltas and 1 plasma. That is the equivalent of 4 shots at 12 and with an autocannon or lascannon, that also provides a nice threat both long range and short range firefight.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by eagleboy7259 View Post
    Not to de-rail the conversation but why would one take a grenade launcher? I generally thought it was the weakest of the four weapons that was offered to squads, and doesn't it price out in between the flamer and meltagun in cost?
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. It costs the same as a flamer.

I use them in infantry platoon command squads. Makes them less of a target than a flamer bomb, and grenade launchers are cheap, dual-role, and blast weapons. Three blast templates on a squad of marines is going to hurt them in my experience (even with S3), all for the cost of ONE plasma gun. Grenade launchers may look weak on paper but they work OK for me.

On topic, I run vet meltas for anti-tank and plasma in my CCS for toasting marines. They each have a function and can't be directly compared, simple as that. That said I don't run much melta - I like to hit enemy armour with battle cannons as well as melta guns, keeps 'em on their toes

Abbess Sanctorum

Grenade Launchers are great on standard infantry squads and platoon command squads. Four GLs in one squad means you can make on average two S8 AP3 hits per turn at 24", and it's an assault weapon at that. Not too shabby for twenty points, whether it's at Marines or at AV12 or lower vehicles.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Grenade Launchers are great on standard infantry squads and platoon command squads. Four GLs in one squad means you can make on average two S8 AP3 hits per turn at 24", and it's an assault weapon at that. Not too shabby for twenty points, whether it's at Marines or at AV12 or lower vehicles.
    I don't remember grenade launchers being S8 AP3

I thought they were S6 AP4

Chaplain

Yep for a krak gren they are S6 AP4

I'm coming back around to the use of plasma weapons in my squads, especially tactical squads that I don't fancy being too close to the enemy. The ability to shoot at the longer range is handy and as the squad is mostly shooting at infantry the extra strength and ap is usually overkill.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast