BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Still learning, but right now I have been enjoying pHaley and using lots of chain lightning everywhere. I enjoy her fluff, and really like her spell list. Like a said still learning the game, but I have really focused on sticking with her for now.

For me its Epic Butcher, hes super aggressive with a balls to wall playstyle that delivers the red Khador axe fast and hard with surgical precision. Its all about what you are going to do to your opponent, not what hes going to do to you.

As the Empress's personnel headsman anyone should think twice before crossing her or Orsus.

I currently play The Protectorate as my main faction. My favorite warcaster is easily High Exemlar Kreoss. I won't bore you with the same generic comments you'll be getting regarding Kreoss and his "awesome balanced list of abilities".

Everything regarding Kreoss's story is awesome in my own opinion. Story wise, he was a Khadoran peasent who eventually became one of the most powerful generals of a nation. The fact that he wasn't born into the protectorate really grabbed me and got me reading the fluff more. It showed me this tabletop game had more to offer than just testing one's strategic wits.

So, you could say it was Kreoss who got playing the game in the first place and I've never looked back. For that, he will always be my favorite warcaster.

Although choosing a favorite caster is no easy task, when pushed to choose the first name that leaps out at me is Goreshade the *******.

Goreshade is great for many reasons. When running him he can cause so much aggravation for your opponent that losing still feels like winning! He may not be the most offensive caster, his spells may have a high price and his medium base may make him more vulnerable than others, however none of that matters. Why? Because he shuts you down. And then, he summons banes from Urcaen and shoves them into the heart of your army!

But, lets set this aside and cover the place where he really shines. Every other Cryx caster became Blighted through Toruk. The Dragonfather corrupts everything, but he doesn't have his talons in Goreshade. Goreshade's relationship with Cryx is one of more symbiosis than subjugation. In fact, if you look at his motivations he is the closest thing to a "Good Guy" that Cryx has!

Goreshade, your race is in peril! What will you do? Kill your Gods. A plan that might even surprise Nietzsche. All the other Elves being serious downers? No worries, just become an Eldritch! Those jerk Elves hunting you down? Forget about it, just shack up with the Nightmare empire.

Yeah, Goreshade is my favorite caster. And I like to believe that he is most other peoples least favorite to see on the battlefield.

I'd have to choose Adaptis Rahn, his background is awesome. But the kicker is the way he makes the enemy army almost like his own plaything is awesome.

My favorite warcaster is Skarre, Queen of the Broken Coast. I love the pose of her miniature, standing on the bow of the wrecked ship. She has a great spell list, and I'm building a pirate-themed cryx force around her... black ogrun, revenants, reapers, and of course, plenty of satyxis.

I also like that she's not really tied to any of the warring factions inside cryx. She'll work with terminus, or asphyxious as needed, but she has her own motives, and her own bond with Toruk that goes beyond loyalty to any of the liches.

Plus, she has a great rack!
    Last edited by vipernyc; 04-05-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Since I am a Cygnar player and know the most about Cygnar, I'm gonna have to go with Captain Jeremiah Kraye.

He is a very unique caster. He is the only large based warcaster in Cygnar, and as far as I know he is the only caster in the game to be riding a horse (but maybe Hordes has some). He is also unique in the fact that he can make his jacks act like cavalry. Furthermore, he has an almost psychic connection with his horse Malagant as well. Who knows? Maybe in the future we will see Kraye commanding warbeasts as well (although I seriously doubt it).

The first unit I bought was rangers, simply because I usually play rangers in RPGs that have them. To me, rangers with guns was the coolest thing ever. Since Kraye is the closest thing to a ranger warcaster we have, I find him fun to play. It;s nice to be so maneuverable.

I also enjoy covert operations. Since Warmachine is supposed to be a skirmish game, I see Kraye as a prime example of that. He would naturally take just a few units and jacks, and attack the enemy where they are the weakest.

It was also nice to see Kraye featured in the FoW: Cygnar book. He may not be the most powerful warcaster, but just because his play style is so different from anything else we have, he is always fun to play.

My favorite Warcaster right now would have to be Skarre, Queen of the Broken Coast (eSkarre), I am really loving the Satyxis pirate themed armies that I'm playing now and Skarre is the perfect fit for them. She's also a real beast on the table, and a pain to deal with. She's the Warcaster I chose for our local painting league, and it's working out pretty well so far!

Kommander Strahkov is easily my favorite currently. His image and playstyle are highly compelling to me.

I like the concept of a leader that leads the troops in, as opposed to standing in the backlines safely behind their army. Also he doesn't rely on heavy powered armor to stay alive at the front, but his own disciplined training and developed abilities. His methods and approach seem to have a far greater mortality propensity than others, so advancing as far as he has resounds louder than any arcnode user. Also he seems more like the every man that rose through the ranks from the bottom, instead of being part of a bloodline or caste that would give him an easier leg up in advancement.

Default Gorten for Favorite Caster!

My favorite warcaster is Gorten Grundback.

As for the why, there are many reasons. Gorten first off is a Rhulic warcaster, which means he is very limited in what he can take, and must make the best of his limited resources (both focus and unit/jack choice).

Unlike some other warcasters, Gorten isn't typically just a "Jack caster" or a "Infantry caster"- he is actually well balanced in that he works well with heavy forces in either. At the same time that he is not specifically an infantry or jack caster, he also is not limited in his roll on the battlefield. He has a well-balanced feat that can really be used in several different ways in order to have a major impact on the game. He also isn't afraid to wade into the fray and lay down some of his own pain on opposing models- a personal example being when he went toe to toe with a Cygnar Thorn and pounded it into the ground. Can he be a support caster? Why yes, he has a very dynamic spell list that can be useful in a variety of situations, and if you don't want to get right up front, he even has a pretty reasonable gun and RAT to fire it.

Some might not like Gorten because of his low focus, and therefore low command area. But I think that this is one of the better features of Gorten, as he challenges the players that use him to really manage their focus well, rather than giving them an obscene amount to just waste on anything. Every focus allocated, camped, or used on a spell is a major decision that can lead into a larger plan. With only a 10" command area, Gorten does have one of the smaller ranges, and admittedly he doesn't have an arc node to shoot spells through, but I believe that is part of the flavor of him and the Searforge faction. It is more of a challenge or finesse issue to make use of his spells and abilities with such a small command range than it is to just hide him in the back l ike other factions do with their casters that have 14+" ranges.

Another reason that Gorten is my favorite caster was hinted at above- he is not overpowered. Using him has it's challenges and positioning is very important- especially with his low speed and focus- but there is something to be said about going toe to toe with some of the epic casters and their ridiculous nature in some cases and pulling out the win that says he can compete, and is a viable force. He doesn't make your opponents groan when they see him coming, they just know that he can do well if used right.

And that good sirs, is why Gorten is my favorite caster.

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast