BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Upgrading Unique Characters/units

Can you do it?
    The examples my friend brought up are when you have options available to an entire detachment, such as Salamanders being able to upgrade 1 weapon on any character- does this allow Salamanders Unique Characters to Master Craft a weapon they are equipped with? Or can any of the named Alpha Legion Unique Characters in HH Book 3 be upgraded with a power dagger, as it says any Alpha Legion Character can be upgraded with one in addition to their normal weapons?

I think this should be no, and I feel there is a line somewhere in the rules that prohibits it, but I can't find it. I'm certain it was there in earlier incarnations of the rules though. It is possible it has been omitted in the 7th edition iteration though. Certainly RAI I think it shouldn't be allowed.

EDIT: I don't mean situations where the upgrade is explicitly stated in the Unique Character/Units datasheet/entry (such as Marneus Calgar upgrading to the armour of Antilochus), but ones that would usually apply to the army, which technically also seem to allow Unique Characters.
    Last edited by Haighus; 12-05-2015 at 04:12 PM.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Wording on Salamanders 40K:

Master Artisans: During army selection, each Salamanders character may upgrade one of his weapons (even one purchased as an upgrade, but not a Chapter Relic) to have the Master-crafted special rule.
    The only Unique character Salamanders get is Vulkan Hestan. His Gauntlet, Mantle and Spear are Chapter relics. Leaves his Bolt Pistol which can, according to the rules be mastercrafted.

For HH:

There is no such restriction in the Rules text so you should be able to upgrade a unique characters weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Wording on Salamanders 40K:

The only Unique character Salamanders get is Vulkan Hestan. His Gauntlet, Mantle and Spear are Chapter relics. Leaves his Bolt Pistol which can, according to the rules be mastercrafted.

For HH:

There is no such restriction in the Rules text so you should be able to upgrade a unique characters weapon.
    Pellas Mir'san and Harath Shen would like to have a word with you...
    It seems odd that you can upgrade the Characters further with extra stuff when they don't have it in their profile. If there is nothing in the BRB about it though I guess it is just an oversight and RAW.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Cinder Edge is already mastercrafted afaik and Shen got no chapter relics, so upgrades are fine.

Yup, Cinder edge is the only one you couldn't upgrade. Hmm, wondering what happens when a flamer (well, the flamer part of a combi-flamer) is master crafted. Does it get re-roll to wound like twin-linked? I don't have my rulebook handy but that could be an interesting use of the rule on Mir'san.

Sadly not, it is only reroll one hit dice.