BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Service at a GW or Maccy-Ds is a bit different to service in Helmand, don't you think? I mean, it's pretty demeaning to your own military service to compare it to a retail job. Apples and oranges, y'know? Until GW puts its employees through months of 'rebuilding' before making them sign documentation accepting the possibility you'll die in their service, then you can't really compare them.

Not to mention the fact that GW managers typically have no clue what's happening in the head office where the real decisions are made, and thus as an example actually kinda undermine your point...
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

*head tilt*

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

You know, I've got Denzark on block for a reason. But then everyone started quoting him, and I couldn't help but read some of it, and I wasn't going to say a thing and then my eye landed on this crap:

useless taxpayer
    Like firefighters? Nurses? Doctors? Teachers? Police?

All of whom are also public servants. All of whom also risk their lives in that service? All of whom keep the nation safe at home while the armed forces are away, serving on foreign shores?

To call them 'useless', I think, reveals more about the mindset (which might be called an arrogant one) that the military drills into its servants than it does anything else.

Of course, I believe I did point out that the military does this in my piece. I said:

The first is the idea of being a protector. They work to convince their neophyte soldiers that through the army’s ministrations, they will become defenders. Of exactly what varies according to cultural and religious beliefs, but mostly? It requires telling the recruit that their actions as a soldier are of real, direct benefit to that soldier’s loved ones.

So, ‘We require you to go to this particular piece of land and attack these people who used to be our allies and to whom we have sold many, many weapons for a variety of reasons including renegotiated trade treaties, the religious factionalism of our allies and the political necessities of making concessions to certain industrial groups who have lobbied hard for this through thirty separate business channels’ becomes ‘You’re keeping your mum safe from bad men who want to kill her.’

This first motivation is enough for a lot of people. After all, who doesn’t want to defend their family? Who doesn’t want to keep their mum safe? Their husband? Their kids?
    Who wouldn't feel proud to be a defender? Who wouldn't feel that little bit better than everyone else who doesn't do that? Who wouldn't feel like maybe they deserved special treatment for putting their life on the line in a way that's clearly and fundamentally different from what firefighters, nurses, and the police do? Who wouldn't feel that because they're risking everything, that puts them a step above everyone else who doesn't?

useless taxpayer
    I mean, a firefighter running into a burning building... That's obviously materially different to the kind of risks a soldier takes each and every day.

useless taxpayer
    Likewise, the nurse who has to talk down knife-wielding drunken fratboys on a Friday night... That's obviously materially different to the kind of risks a soldier takes each and every day.

useless taxpayer
    [url=http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/may/01/headteacher-kills-herself]Likewise, the teacher who spends fourteen hours a day, marking and planning and suffering from a stress-related heart attack because all they want is for the young people in their charge to succeed in later life as happy, empowered members of society...[/url] That's obviously materially different to the kind of service a soldier makes each and every day.

useless taxpayer
    Likewise, the police officer who has to step out into a world that loathes her each and every day, a world than might kill her at any moment... That's obviously materially different to the kind of risks a soldier takes each and every day. Especially in the UK, where the police don't ordinarily carry guns.

useless taxpayer

useless taxpayer

useless taxpayer

useless taxpayer

useless taxpayer

useless taxpayer
    The idea of a mindless automaton who wants to kill so joins the military, is balls.
    Never said the military were mindless; your Strawman arguments become obvious here.

I never said the military were mindless; I said they'd been reconditioned. That can happen to anyone - geniuses included.

Clever people are better at believing things than stupid ones, because they're better at justifying why they're right. Unless a person questions their beliefs relentlessly, they are quite capable of going through life with all kinds of assumptions.

useless taxpayer
    I don't think the vast majority of the military are stupid. I've talked to lots of them. Taught lots of them. Some of them are the cleverest people I know. They're not stupid.

But they are reconditioned.

You can see that because we all know that [url=http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/lifestyle/2012/07/why-so-many-ex-soldiers-end-prison]more than a few soldiers have a hard time fitting back in with civilian life[/url].

I think a great many highly intelligent individuals populate the army. I do. But as I also said,

whatever the army chooses to offer the soldiers instead of their life, it has to be attractive
    What could be more attractive than seeing yourself as better than literally everyone else in the world?

useless taxpayer
    Quod erat demonstrandum.
    Last edited by YorkNecromancer; 12-08-2015 at 07:31 AM.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    Service at a GW or Maccy-Ds is a bit different to service in Helmand, don't you think?
    I do.

I mean, it's pretty demeaning to your own military service to compare it to a retail job.
    I didn't, and in any case, my military service isn't the issue.

Apples and oranges, y'know?
    Not the only fruit. Quite.

Until GW puts its employees through months of 'rebuilding' before making them sign documentation accepting the possibility you'll die in their service, then you can't really compare them.
    Explain the sense and context in which I compared them.

Not to mention the fact that GW managers typically have no clue what's happening in the head office where the real decisions are made, and thus as an example actually kinda undermine your point...
    I didn't mention the fact, but since you raise it, what counts as head office for the armed forces?

++

To clarify, CG, the walker of the path asserted that Denzark was in no position to comment on the issue as he is inside the process.

What the process may be is largely irrelevant, it is Denzark's position relative to it that apparently disenfranchises his opinion.

I find this position fascinating.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    Like firefighters? Nurses? Doctors? Teachers? Police?
    Today?

Mostly teachers.

I hope you did that on a free period...
    Last edited by Cutter; 12-08-2015 at 07:55 AM.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Chapter-Master

Have you never thought teaching would be easier without the kids Yorkie? I know my job would be easier without customer interference...
    I think you're all reading too much into it.

Chapter-Master

I think for next year, like someone else suggested I'd be interested in your take on Xenos.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Today?

Mostly teachers.

After a period of suicidal depression, (including a fairly horrible breakdown in front of my partner) all of it brought about purely by the stress of teaching workload, I elected to put my mental health first.

I now work three days a week instead of five and I can cope with that. It's been three years, and the urge to just end it all doesn't come as often as it did. The panic attacks have mostly subsided too. And I can survive on what I make, just about. But, you know, better that than the alternative.

So no, I didn't do it on a free period. I did it on my own unpaid time.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Have you never thought teaching would be easier without the kids Yorkie? I know my job would be easier without customer interference...
    I think you're all reading too much into it.
    The kids aren't - and never have been - the problem. The issue is delivering personalised learning for between two-hundred and fifty to three hundred individuals on a daily basis, taking account of their personal strengths, weaknesses, disabilities, gifts, social skills and the general alchemy of the classroom. The workload is, and always has been the issue, especially given the extra hours you're normally expected/guilted into working.

No, the pupils are what makes the job doable. They're why I do the planning, marking, data entry, and the rest.

If a person doesn't enjoy spending time with young people, then what's the point of teaching? You'd have to be an absolute idiot.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Chapter-Master

Well they were bribing people with a tuition fee wiping scheme weren't they? And then there's the holidays...

But yeah definitely not for me...

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    So no, I didn't do it on a free period. I did it on my own unpaid time.
    Gold Star.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Today?

Mostly teachers.

Damn you I laughed so hard I spit out valuable coffee. No need to be mean to the sensitive snowflake, its like kicking a puppy. Funnily enuff all he had to was say "nope did it on my own time" but then he would miss out on trying to make you feel bad.

And in regards to the post with all the pictures...You should follow your own advice and stop "straw manning" yourself. He made a broad statement yes but when you write "Never said the military were mindless; your Strawman arguments become obvious here." Well. Denzark never said all them people with the pics (whos the blond? shes a looker) were useless either, and yet here you are doing the same thing.

Psychosplodge has the truth of it "I think youre all reading too much into it". Dude just wrote an article (on his own time, lol), one off hand comment aboot the military and it spins outta the atmosphere. And all this entertainment is free...ahahahaha...free!!!*

*with a monthly subscription to your ISP. Taxes may apply. High speed cannot be guaranteed in your area.
    Last edited by Alaric; 12-08-2015 at 09:35 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast