I think he riffs well with the modern day Bogeyman, The Terrorist.

He's clearly been lead astray by others wanting to exploit his naivety and his powers.

Consider the troubles in Ireland - they all boil down to various ****ty things done centuries ago, yet you have kids being raised in a toxic environment, where said ****ty things done hundreds of years ago are used as an excuse for modern day violence, an eternal circle of retribution after retribution. Take any kid out of that environment early enough, and they probably won't care all that much about it, almost certainly not to the point of acts of terrorism.

And on some level he knows that's the case. A central theme is the constant pull of the Light side on him.

Who knows when his veneration of Vader began? Given he has the helmet, last seen in the vincinity of Luke, it seems he's either a) pinched it from the academy, or b) he knew where to find it (Endor, perhaps).

If it was the Academy, could Luke have been using it to teach that contrary to previous Sith and Jedi teaching, falling to the Dark Side is not a one way street - redemption eternal.

Overall, whilst I find him somewhat pitiable, I'm intrigued to know more.