BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 16 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

I'm not sure if she's as "potent" yet as people seem to think. Yeah, she reversed Ren's probing. She mind controlled a Stormtrooper (ones who seem more susceptible given they're raised just to be soldiers and follow orders). And she grabbed the lightsaber when Ren was trying to get it. But what if Ren's not that good with the probing? It took a lot of effort to get from Poe that he'd given the map to a droid, but no details on the droid or where it went. And when he was trying to get the saber, he'd just been through a fight that took a good bit of energy and was wounded pretty badly. Plus that whole thing with Snoke commenting that he hadn't completed his training yet.

Maybe she's strong, but we haven't really seen evidence that she's super powerful.

Her being a nobody makes for a more interesting story, and I'd rather go with that (well, not exactly "nobody," because likely someone relatively famous dropped her off), but I'm a bit concerned they'll feel a duty to have the Skywalkers be central to the plot because the core Star Wars story is essentially about the Skywalker line. Then again, Ben/Ren fills the position of a Skywalker kid (being Leia's child and the grandson of Anakin Skywalker).

Banned

Spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    She's around the same age as Kylo Ren - so he'd have been no older than what, 8 or 9 when he ruined it all.
    Adam Driver is 32 and Daisy Ridley is 23. The actress who played young Rey plays 5-8 which could, given Star War's tendency to use actors ages as their real or close to real ages, make it possible for her to have been five or so at Luke's new Jedi school when Kylo appeared and ruined everything in his late teens.

Also people ship Rey with Kylo. [URL="http://archiveofourown.org/works/5457191"]There's a rather good fic about it[/URL]:

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    True, but you also have to consider the main target audience of such a market. As cliche and bigotted as it may sound, it is targeted at boys who usually want to have characters they identify with and not to be one of the gurrrlls.

Are there girls who would like to have Star Wars Characters they can identify with? You betcha, and far more than when I got my first Star Wars figure, both numerically and proportionally. Are there boys who would like to have girl figures to play with? Again, you betcha and far more than when I was a child watching any of the Star Wars movies during initial release years.

But they are still a small portion of the target audience, so they aren't considered as necessary to build.
    The problem with that is that Star Wars was extremely popular with women, it is the marketing focus on boys which drove girls away needlessly and continuing that to the ridiculous extent of not making merchandise of the films main character is even more clearly ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

That Rey-Ren fanfic is superb lol
    Last edited by eldargal; 12-30-2015 at 08:54 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    The problem with that is that Star Wars was extremely popular with women, it is the marketing focus on boys which drove girls away needlessly and continuing that to the ridiculous extent of not making merchandise of the films main character is even more clearly ridiculous.
    And that is a "new" thing, and not the target audience. Not saying it is right or corporate people don't need to expand their horizons, because it isn't completely right and girls/women being interested in what has been classically a boy/man field of interest has been around since before the first Bush left office. One just has to look at cosplay in conventions for the last 20 years and women have definitely been showing interest in Star Wars for an incredible amount of time.

But "war toys" are still "boy toys" in their mind, and so get built and marketed as such, and expanding the target of the market like that can be a huge risk, and one that a lot of corporations won't do. But then, that's part of the problem with corporations to begin with. They can maintain a status quo, but going beyond what got them to corporate status usually back fires due to committee.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    I'm not sure if she's as "potent" yet as people seem to think. Yeah, she reversed Ren's probing. She mind controlled a Stormtrooper (ones who seem more susceptible given they're raised just to be soldiers and follow orders). And she grabbed the lightsaber when Ren was trying to get it. But what if Ren's not that good with the probing? It took a lot of effort to get from Poe that he'd given the map to a droid, but no details on the droid or where it went. And when he was trying to get the saber, he'd just been through a fight that took a good bit of energy and was wounded pretty badly. Plus that whole thing with Snoke commenting that he hadn't completed his training yet.

Maybe she's strong, but we haven't really seen evidence that she's super powerful.

Her being a nobody makes for a more interesting story, and I'd rather go with that (well, not exactly "nobody," because likely someone relatively famous dropped her off), but I'm a bit concerned they'll feel a duty to have the Skywalkers be central to the plot because the core Star Wars story is essentially about the Skywalker line. Then again, Ben/Ren fills the position of a Skywalker kid (being Leia's child and the grandson of Anakin Skywalker).
    Spoiler....Spoiler
    Its a spoiler....its a spoiler....
    So dont ruin the show!

Dude also was wounded so I doubt that helped his concentration. He was a sissy anyways, I look forward to seeing him get his butt kicked again. Worst dark jedi ever lol, couldn't take out a wiaf or a stormtrooper lol.

Librarian

Ok, for the theory discussion:

Rey is clearly not a nobody. You don't set up a nobody with a mysterious background like she has.

She and Fin both had families once, and lost them when they were very young. The most logical explanation is that Rey's family wanted to protect her from something and left her on that planet meaning to return- then got themselves killed by whatever it was they were trying to save her from.

-The force seems to flow strongly in bloodlines- but there's only really one Force strong bloodline in all six films. Like how when Link meets a helpful character in disguise, it is always Zelda?

The idea that the force is generally strong in bloodlines seems consistent so long as we expect the Jedi want to make themselves extinct. But they wouldn't be the first religion to preach absolute celibacy for all its members and die off.

www.GardenNinja.com

Just seems....a bit lazy.

We've already got the Solo sprog - does Luke really need one?

I'd really prefer her to be a genuine nobody.

And in other news....

Did anyone else get a proper nerd tingle when we saw the Resistance X-Wings closing in over Takodana? To me it was a perfect 'here comes the Cavalry, and you're in trouble now, Fascist Bully Boy!' shot. The spray kicked up behind them, the concealment of how many or indeed how few are riding to the rescue - just perfect.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Rey really reminds me of Korra.

And I like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    Spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler

Adam Driver is 32 and Daisy Ridley is 23. The actress who played young Rey plays 5-8 which could, given Star War's tendency to use actors ages as their real or close to real ages, make it possible for her to have been five or so at Luke's new Jedi school when Kylo appeared and ruined everything in his late teens.

Also people ship Rey with Kylo. [URL="http://archiveofourown.org/works/5457191"]There's a rather good fic about it[/URL]:

Not only does the ship suck, if the whole Luke's daughter thing is true, it's also disgusting.
    As an avid fan of Sword Art Online, that bit in the Fairy Dance Arc almost put me off of the whole anime. Damn incestuous b@stards.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Brother-Captain

Spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler

I think Rey is being set up as related to someone, but I don't think it's the Skywalker clan. That's taking things into 'gambit pileup' directions and overall distracting. There was clearly a battle around Jakku that I don't think has been mentioned yet, so she could be the child of someone in the Rebellion that was worried about what would happen in some climatic battle and sought to keep her out of the way but perished in the fighting. (Wedge or Biggs would be a good choice here.)

Alternatively she could be related to someone on the Empire side, who were either hedging their bets or it's a more indirect connection. I'd thought perhaps Tarkin's niece, but he died on the first Death Star. Considering the fate of the Jedi and the treatment of Force-sensitives under Palpatine and the hatred later displayed by the First Order, I could see someone loyal to the Empire still wanting to hide any relative that displayed any hint of Force-sensitivity.

Being related to a bad guy as a source of angst is something entirely fitting with the setting, after all.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Page 16 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast