BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran-Sergeant

Ugh. Just discovered there are no box sets for Dark Riders so my plan to include 40-60 of them in my army is looking bleak.
    "No one hides from the Eye, No one hides from the Sky!"

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Atrotos View Post
    Ugh. Just discovered there are no box sets for Dark Riders so my plan to include 40-60 of them in my army is looking bleak.
    WE fast cav, and the new plastic corsairs. Its still WAY cheaper them buying the old ugly dark riders.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Veteran-Sergeant

That's an awesome idea but it's a pretty tough conversion to do for so many models. No matter what it looks like I'll have to drastically decrease the number of Dark Riders and increase the number of Cold One Knights.
    "No one hides from the Eye, No one hides from the Sky!"

Brother-Captain

Also: I wouldn't get too enamored with a heavy cav army idea at the moment. With 8th ed just around the corner (late summer/early fall) some of the rumours point to a change in the movement of cav with a 2+ AS. IE no marching. You'd still have the full charge length, but you'll be moving across the table in support of infantry.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Veteran-Sergeant

Mind you, I do like my Brets. But the topic posted is a Cavalry-centric army. That means troops are all or mostly cavlary.

Albeit Blood Knights are the best cavalry unit in the game but they are a rare choice and cannot be used in large numbers.

The original idea was to make an army that is centered around calvary, all mounted (if I did not mistake the original posters query). You have to look at what armies can take troops as mounted. I don't know all the armies to say which has the best mix. Thats where the players of those armies need to put their opinions in.

Certain armies have better mounted units, but they are only units. One unit does not an army make.

As per my statement about mounted Yeomen (they are the best per point value).

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Azaghul View Post
    Also: I wouldn't get too enamored with a heavy cav army idea at the moment. With 8th ed just around the corner (late summer/early fall) some of the rumours point to a change in the movement of cav with a 2+ AS. IE no marching. You'd still have the full charge length, but you'll be moving across the table in support of infantry.
    If thats true, Brets are going to need a new rule book.
    (Actually, they already need a new one )

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Camel View Post
    Mind you, I do like my Brets. But the topic posted is a Cavalry-centric army. That means troops are all or mostly cavlary.

Albeit Blood Knights are the best cavalry unit in the game but they are a rare choice and cannot be used in large numbers.

The original idea was to make an army that is centered around calvary, all mounted (if I did not mistake the original posters query). You have to look at what armies can take troops as mounted. I don't know all the armies to say which has the best mix. Thats where the players of those armies need to put their opinions in.

Certain armies have better mounted units, but they are only units. One unit does not an army make.

As per my statement about mounted Yeomen (they are the best per point value).
    Counts can still pull that off;
    Direwolves are fast cav, black knights are special and blood knights are rare...

Excuse me, I need to make a small warband, with the direwolves being ridden by zombies...
    Curse you cool thread!!!
    It is not the combat I resent, brother. It is the thirst for glory that gets men cut into ribbons.

I have to agree with Lunar

If you want a heavy cav list I would definitely run Bretonnians

Incredibly durable and even more durable when the strength goes at or above 5.

The knight units can easily have a combat res of 4-5 before the battle even starts and like mentioned before when they charge they will hammer any unit to pieces.

Not to mention with new edition, the lack of magic reliability means they will be even better.

I see them being one of those armies where at tournaments you will commonly hear "That Army needs an 8th Edition Book" as they tear opponents apart.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12