BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default crash and burn and skies of fury

Scenario:

Storm raven is vector locked
    Storm raven has passengers
    Enemy unit at storm raven's final movement destination

Can the passengers perform Skies of Fury ?

Quote Originally Posted by Angelofblades View Post
    Scenario:

Storm raven is vector locked
    Storm raven has passengers
    Enemy unit at storm raven's final movement destination

Can the passengers perform Skies of Fury ?
    Skies of fury allow you to place the unit *anywhere* along the distance the Stormraven moved that turn, not forced to do it at the very end. Thus you can perform it as rules indicate.

Vector locked or Crash and burn.

If the ship is under Crew stunned then you follow normal crew stunned rules and can perform Skies of fury anyway.

If you suffer a Crash and burn *wich should happen in the opponent turn ) you can't perform the Skies of fury to avoid the damage hit on the passengers when the ship crashes.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Perversor View Post
    If you suffer a Crash and burn *wich should happen in the opponent turn ) you can't perform the Skies of fury to avoid the damage hit on the passengers when the ship crashes.
    A vector locked flyer is forced to move 18" in a straight line. It cannot turn, gonto hover or otherwise do anything else that move 18". If an enemy unit is it's path and it ends it's move ontop of the enemy unit, the flyer will crash and burn in the flyer owners turn.

Skies of fury say if the flyer has moved over 6" you can still disembark.
    Last edited by Angelofblades; 12-23-2015 at 08:50 AM.

I see no reason to assume they can't evacuate before the crash in that situation.
    Though in my group we ignore the whole "flyers can't be within an inch of the enemy or it crashes" rule because their in the air

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Djbz View Post
    I see no reason to assume they can't evacuate before the crash in that situation.
    Though in my group we ignore the whole "flyers can't be within an inch of the enemy or it crashes" rule because their in the air
    Flyers don't Crash and Burn if it cannot move the 18", they are just Wrecked.

Gameplay-wise, there is almost no time for Crash and Burn to happen in a situation where the choice to Sky out of the Raven hasn't been made already. If it happens during the Movement Phase where they normally could use Skies of Fury, that means its Interceptor which places it after everything has already moved, so any choice of disembarking has already been made. About the only time I could even think it would be a case is if you're flying too close to an Obelisk and the Raven is on its last Hull Point. Talk about rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    Flyers don't Crash and Burn if it cannot move the 18", they are just wrecked.
    Wrecked flyers crash and burn.

Wow.... Now I read this thread last night and figured someone would put you guys straight.

It didn't happen, so do what I did all of you go and read the rules for flyers, because none of these comments make sense to me!

Presuming "Vector Locked" you mean forced to move 18":

If the flyer ends up within an inch on an enemy unit just move the flyer/enemy unit to show the flyer is actually above them. If the unit is a titan, then you can make a call on what to do, but essentially there is no issues.

If the flyer moves 18" and you want to do Skies of Fury, sure go ahead, there's no restrictions.

With regards to damage and crash and burn, oh boy you guys need to go read the 7th Ed vehicle damage table, you might be surprised!
    http://bloodshadowsm41.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Shadow View Post
    Wow.... Now I read this thread last night and figured someone would put you guys straight.

It didn't happen, so do what I did all of you go and read the rules for flyers, because none of these comments make sense to me!
    Probably because you do not read rules?

Presuming "Vector Locked" you mean forced to move 18":
    "Vector Locked" is basically "Crew Stunned" for Flyers:
    If the vehicle is a Zooming Flyer, it must move 18" and cannot turn at all in its next Movement phase.
    If the flyer ends up within an inch on an enemy unit just move the flyer/enemy unit to show the flyer is actually above them. If the unit is a titan, then you can make a call on what to do, but essentially there is no issues.
    Wrong.
    FLYERS AND OTHER MODELS
    Models that physically fit under a Flyer model can move beneath it. Likewise, a Flyer can end its move over such models. However, when moving this way, enemy models must still remain 1" away from the base of the Flyer, and the Flyer cannot end its move with its base within 1" of other enemy models.
    If a Zooming Flyer is forced to move less than 18" in its own Movement phase, it is automatically Wrecked.
    With regards to damage and crash and burn, oh boy you guys need to go read the 7th Ed vehicle damage table, you might be surprised!
    Good advise! Stick to it!

Wrecked (Zooming Flyers) and Crash and Burn! The unit suffers a number of Strength 10 AP2 hits equal to the number of models embarked. These Wounds are Randomly Allocated. Surviving passengers are placed where the Flyer used to be and in unit coherency. Any models that cannot be placed are removed as casualties. The unit then takes a Pinning test.
    A vehicle that is reduced to 0 Hull Points is Wrecked. A Wrecked vehicle is destroyed. If the vehicle was a Flyer in Zoom mode, it suffers a Crash and Burn! result (see the Vehicle Damage table).

The problem with Skies of Fury is that you disembark AFTER the Flyer has moved. And when he moves, it gets destroyed and the passengers suffer (as they had no possibility to make their turn yet)

A unit that begins its Movement phase embarked upon a vehicle can disembark either before or after the vehicle has moved (including pivoting on the spot, etc) so long as the vehicle has not moved more than 6".
    So if you decide to use Sky of Furies after the flyer has crashed it is too late as you have to end the movement of the flyer first and handle all consequences of this movment (Crash & Burn).
    But there is nothing stopping you from disembarking BEFORE the flyer made its move.
    Last edited by Charon; 12-24-2015 at 08:27 AM.

Yeah, I agree with Charon RAW. RAI, the rule represents them jumping as it is flying, so I would probably house-rule it that way, but RAW, the sequence of events supports everything going down in flames.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

.....A Flyer can end it's move over enemy models?

Can someone point to the rule which says a flyer is wrecked if it can't move the full 18"?

Really struggling to see why this is an issue
    Last edited by Blood Shadow; 12-24-2015 at 11:29 AM.
    http://bloodshadowsm41.blogspot.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast