BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What would you do?

So, here's the situation. You're playing in a friendly game against someone who is either a) trying an army for the first time or two or b) an inexperienced player in general. In the course of play, they make major errors that benefit you. You may notice that they're about to start moving guys and therefore forfeit their opportunity to roll reserves for that DP dread sitting off-table or about to charge your T6 Chaplain with guardsmen...

How do you handle this situation? Do you remind them politely that Cassius is T6 and they'll not easily wound him, or do you stop them from touching that Rhino and say "reserves?"

Now that you've answered, apply the situation to a tournament, where most mistakes happen because we're hurrying so that we can get in more game during the time limit...do you stop your opponent from doing something silly, or say "Dude, you don't want to do that".

Did your answer change?

Chaplain

yes, it did. in friendly games i would remind them of something they forgot, but in a tournie i feel that the mindset is different. maybe it's all the super-comp feeling of teh interwebs rubbing off on me, but if one shows up to a tournie, one should at least know the basic rules and the rules for their army. if they ask what the stats of any of my unit are, i will of course answer, but if they don't in a tournie, i feel i need to tell them exactly what all my stats are unless we both do it at the begining (hooray different standards!). if i'm playing a new player in a tournie, i won't just tell them how to play, because if i do that, they won't really earn anything. mistakes make you better, as at least you'll try not to make the same mistake again (at least this is what i keep telling myself :P)
    I reject your reality and replace it with my own.

Brother-Captain

In friendlies or against a newbie, I'll help them out and cut plenty of slack, but in a tourney setting they'll generally get 1 friendly reminder about reserves or charging or whatever. I try to hold myself to a higher standard though, rarely asking for do-overs. It's the only way I'll learn :P

For a new player, I find a "**COUGH**reserves**COUGH**" works.
    I let "new army" types learn from their mistakes. I still would charge a T6 character with S3 guardsmen-assuming I could also get a power fist into that fight (and I do, have, and won such fights)
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbalaya View Post
    In friendlies or against a newbie, I'll help them out and cut plenty of slack, but in a tourney setting they'll generally get 1 friendly reminder about reserves or charging or whatever. I try to hold myself to a higher standard though, rarely asking for do-overs. It's the only way I'll learn :P
    Yep, what he said......
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Occuli Imperator

Generally speaking I will tell people when they are missing something in friendly games... In a tournament setting it really depends on a few things:
    1. Am I in a posistion to win the whole thing? If so then I may not help at all, I will also not allow 'oops, can I do that now?' If I am not in a posistion to place then I will play it like a friendly game, meaning I will help where and whenever I think it is helpful to my opponent, I will also allow them to go back and do seomthing they forgot.

2. If the person I am playing is really cool then I will match their attitude. If they let me go back and 'fix things,' then I will allow it too... No matter if I am playing 'for the win,'

So all in all it depends on where I am in the overall tournie and the attitude of the person Im playing

Duke

Brother-Captain

I kind of had this happen this weekend at the tourny. One guy elected to shoot at my demolisher, then when he realized it was rear 11 and his squad couldn't hurt it (he had already rolled dice for the character that could hurt it) wanted to 'do over' against the 10man squad in range. My answer was a polite no - since this is a tourniment. Forgeting a reserves roll - you get one polite reminder in a tourney, and in casual games I'll probably let you reroll, but if you're still doing it after the 4th or 5th game, then you've got to learn the hard way!
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Veteran-Sergeant

And this is why I feel tournaments are unhealthy. Gaming is about having fun, making friends and enjoying a common hobby. If people feel they must win at any cost then perhaps they should try Merchant Banking instead, or chess.

If I see an opponent miss a phase or something they had earlier declared they would do then I tell them. I am not prescient so I can't remind them to remember something I don't know about.

If I forget something and someone reminds me afterwards I simply accept I am an idiot and carry on. Fog of war and all that.

Occuli Imperator

I think I agree with Duke, it depends on their attitude, but certainly if they make a mistake like forgetting a reserve role then a gentle reminder of "which units are in reserve again?" but as for shooting/assaulting the wrong unit/vehicle not so much. I think there is a fine line between forgetting to do something and doing the wrong thing. In a tournament or heavy setting then its more of a case of well you should be conversant with the rules

Brother-Captain

In tournaments, I'll mention play mistakes after the game is over, if there is time and the player seems receptive. No do-overs in a tournament.

Reserves are a different story, though. You MUST roll for reserves, and they come in whether you want it or not. So the way I see it, I must tell that player to roll for reserves, otherwise we're both playing the game wrong. Otherwise I could simply always "forget" to roll reserves for my small scoring unit, and have them go after an objective on the bottom of 5 when they automatically come in.

Imo, it's same as a player who forgets about a pre-existing assault on the far end of the table and passes me the turn. We HAVE to do that assault before he gives me the turn, mistake or no. We don't get to skip that assault phase just because one player forgot about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast