BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Default Playing with non-gw models

You finally finish meticulously painting and basing your entire 40K army and you're about to play your first "painted" game. You look across the table and your opponent starts putting a bunch of unfamiliar figures on the table. It turns out they aren't GW models. What do you think of playing 40K with non GW models?

Personally, I'd feel kind of cheated.

I'd be perfectly happy to play against someone with non-GW models as long as the models look like what they're supposed to be.

If I'm playing against a Space Marine player, and he puts down a Tamiya WW2 tank and calls it a predator, we have a problem.

If I'm playing someone else and they put down a scratch-built tank cobbled together from various non-GW kits and plasticard that they use as a Rhino, and low and behold it actually looks mostly like a Rhino (proportion and general shape), then that's great!

I'm not talking about nicely done scratch built models. I am all for creative modeling. It's part of the hobby. I am addressing the fact that there are some in the 40K community that do some pretty wacky stuff to keep from buying GW models. Two examples that I have seen online recently:

1. A "Green Army Men" Scout car repainted with a few GW guns glued to it and used as a Chimera.
    2. Another company's plastic British Colonials glued to GW bases. The scale was off.

Evil Midnight Bomber

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with using non-GW models in an army -- but only 1 or 2, perhaps as special characters/heroes/etc.

There's several cases where there's not an official model for a unit/character, or, the official model is less-than-stellar.

What you described, though, that's ridiculous. I hope you didn't see that in a tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by CrusherJoe View Post
    Personally, I don't see anything wrong with using non-GW models in an army -- but only 1 or 2, perhaps as special characters/heroes/etc.

There's several cases where there's not an official model for a unit/character, or, the official model is less-than-stellar.

What you described, though, that's ridiculous. I hope you didn't see that in a tournament.
    No, I saw it online.......and this goober was proud of it. The responses also made me think WTF??? I don't know if the posters were over compensating to try to avoid a flame war or if they too were......mentally challenged.

The use of non-GW models to represent 1 or 2 models or a special character has been done for a long time. I have no problem with that, either. However, some of the stuff I have seen on the internet recently is just.....it's enough to make the Emperor scream "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD".

a friend of mine says the game sounds fun but the prices are too high and he said he would use his green army men. but that wouldnt fly with me!

Quote Originally Posted by splnes View Post
    a friend of mine says the game sounds fun but the prices are too high and he said he would use his green army men. but that wouldnt fly with me!
    Tell him it isn't a "game", but a hobby. Part of the game is building and painting. I call it "paying your dues".

Check this out.

Evil Midnight Bomber

Wow...that's really bad.

At least they were painted, though? <--- (trying to find something positive to say here people, give me a break)

I think I threw up a little. :O

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast