BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aldramelech View Post
    If this was a pub, you'd both be stood up right about now an inch from each others noses lol
    Naah--not even close.

I'm very pleasant when I've been drinking (which has saved bloody knuckles and noses). Somewhat less so when sober.

Veteran-Sergeant

if this was a pub you'd all be in a corner stinking the place up

lol j/k

what were we talking about?

I thought I would throw my opinion out there. I would like to preface it by letting everyone know where I am coming from when I spout off.

I am in my mid thirties with a damn decent income. I have just started the 40K hobby. I have always been interested in it (I have been a geek since age 6, so no surprise there) but I just never had the opportunity. They finally opened a store near me and I was excited as hell.

I walked in to the official GW store and I was overwhelmed by the choices. I have since found out that my local store is relatively small compared to other GW stores. I choose to start with a Sisters army and was informed that all their models are pewter. I was not deterred until I saw the price. The prices are outrageous for a mass produced figure.

From everything I have read and having talked to the "beards", as the older players are called, GW has really been taken over by the bean counters. I hear stories about how player focused they use to be and I see the attitude that is being put forth by the company now and I never would have guessed they are one in the same.

I have no problem with GW making a profit, good for them! I want them to be around for a long, long time. I do have a problem with them taking advantage of people. They are quickly losing customer loyalty with their pricing and attitude. I would love to go back to the mid to late 90's and see posts in the newsgroups forums concerning GW. I am willing to bet that they were infinitely more positive in tone and content. I think it is a shame that it has come to this for GW.

In talking with my local GW employees, it seems that GW's strategy is to get the players involved at a younger age, thus having the new stores open near a cluster of close high schools. Where in the world do they think the kids are going to get the money to field a 1000 point army, much less a tournament legal 1850? There may be a few kids that have parents that are willing to pay $700 to $1000 for their kids to play a game, but I sure as hell wouldn't.

I guess my overall feeling is that GW has lost focus. I am hoping the people I play against make up for the lack of "fuzzy feeling goodness" from GW. I would hate to think I have spent a couple hundred dollars so far (!!!) plus countless hours of painting (at which I am absolutely horrible) for a hobby and a game I will just put away because it isn;t fun anymore.

Okay, now that the obligatory anti-GW rant is over....how do you feel about playing with non-GW minis?

BTW, people don't like price increases. They tend to blame the company rather than blame the economy. In 1992 a loaded Ford Mustang GT had a sticker price of $17,000 and change. A 2010 Mustang GT is now in the $32,000 range. Prices rise that is a fact of life just like death and taxes. End of "Pro-GW" rant.
    http://crazyredpraetorian.blogspot.com/
    http://theflylordsofterra.blogspot.com/

I guess my message got lost in there. It is not an anti-GW rant, it was a return-to-the-customer rant which is a tangent to the attitude I have recently seen with non-GW minis. I want to make one thing very clear: I want GW to be around and make money. I don't mind bending over backwards to support GW, I don't want to bend over forwards though.

If someone is using a mini that can be instantly recognized or easily recognized once you have been informed of what it is a stand in for, then what is the problem? If someone has more time than money and makes a damn good, hell, even passable Land Raider conversion then why would I be upset because his little molded plastic came from a different company?

Now, if they are using a cereal box that still says Captain Crunch with a stick glued to the top, then we have a problem.

**Edit** What were the prices for a few units back in 2000? I would like to do a little comparison to the prices now.

Fair enough. I agree with all of that. As long as it is recognizable and to scale.

10 years ago an Independent Character was $9.99- $12.99; today that same mini is $19.99-$24.99

I have a question what about models from a company like ultraforge in a tournament?
    Got a question about Tyranids PM me
    I will do what I can to help.

Quote Originally Posted by drummerholt1234 View Post
    I have a question what about models from a company like ultraforge in a tournament?
    It varies from tournament to tournament. Alswys check with the tournament organizer before bringing non-GW models. It can save you alot of grief. If the organizer okays it ahead of time then you don't have to worry about anyone protesting you.

Yeah thats what I thought because I think those Greater daemons from ultraforge are just beautiful (or horrid looking in nurgles case ).
    Got a question about Tyranids PM me
    I will do what I can to help.

Hi,

Ok back to the non GW models.

For me it doesn't matter as long as it is easy to understand what I am facing and it is reasonable estetic, no cokebottle for a land raider, or papermarkers ....

The key to sfun is ho wesy it is to understand what the model is.

If somebody comes decides his starwars minis are guardsmen and darth vader is the commisar I can follow that.

If I have to guess which of the wired slightly differnt looking guys has the meltagun and it is a meltagun on squad A and a plasma gun on squad B while the all kinda look the same we are having a problem and will stop having fun.

Just think is it crystal clear to remember what he is, and does it not keep us from having fun.

One of my friends is using a bunch of domkeys with lascannons as heavy weapon teams and a model of stich for his Guardsman marbo.

i think it is just funny and it is easy to follow that the guy popping up out of nowhere is Marbo since no other model in the game does anything like that.

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast