BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Hey, if a wee girl was wearing a gas mask that big, I'd be chainswording her too. It's too Psycho Mantis to be healthy.

The use of non-GW models to represent a few models or a special character has been done for a long time. I have no problem with that, either, but any non-GW model needs to be more or less in scale.

As for the “green-men” I’d say no way.

@Aldramelech, have PMed you, but yes we're the club based at GW Exeter on Tuesdays.

@Fatty Revolution, yeah thats a lovely model, really fitting for a Pysker actually, reminds me of an episode from Dr.Who a few years back set during WW2 with loads of people with gas mask's for heads.

Chapter-Master

Hey chaps

What do you think of this landraider scratchbuild? This is WWI 1:35 Emhar crossed with Landraider and lots of plasticard (hull). Hoping this will pass muster for the Throne of Skulls at Warhammer World in Oct, but your opinions would be appreciated - should it pass muster and would you boycott it or not?

[url]http://s797.photobucket.com/albums/yy257/denzark/?action=view&current=LandraiderConv.jpg[/url]
    Last edited by Denzark; 08-03-2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: wrong

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Hey chaps
    What do you think of this landraider scratchbuild? This is WWI 1:35 Emhar crossed with Landraider and lots of plasticard (hull). Hoping this will pass muster for the Throne of Skulls at Warhammer World in Oct, but your opinions would be appreciated - should it pass muster and would you boycott it or not?
    Looks great, I'd let it through no problem.
    With the old body, you should have tried the old over-under style for the lascannons. But it still looks great, everyone will know that it's a landraider.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Revolution View Post
    My Psyker battle squad is 9 non-GW models and a Commissar as a custodian. I think it makes for an interesting and unique unit. and as long as you don't go overboard I don't see a problem. I still run 99% GW models.

Here is the model I used as my Psykers. I was going for a creepy F.E.A.R./ the Ring thing, A little bit of psychological warfare for you.

[URL="http://armorcast.com/store/images/a039rose.jpg"]http://armorcast.com/store/images/a039rose.jpg[/URL]
    Now THAT is cool.

Veteran-Sergeant

Default using non GW

I personally dont care, but they should be fairly close and representive of that they are substituting for.
    Army men don't cut it but, "pig iron" models of the same scale are ok as IG, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by AdamHarry View Post
    But that is not a fair comparison.

When you buy sports gear you're buying gear to play the sport. doesn't matter where it's from as long as it's regulation (meets the standards for that sport).

When you buy GW-model's you're (typically) buying them to play a GW-game.

When you buy a tonka truck to "convert" it into an ork battlewagon, you're just trying to screw over gw, local retailers, and cheating the people you play with.

Support the stores you play at, and buy the products. And yes, i realize that it's an expensive hobby, but it's a hobby...and if you aren't even trying to support the hobby then maybe you should pick a new one.
    The comparison is almost as good as it gets. It's near perfect. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it less true.

When you buy miniatures you're buying minis to play the game. doesn't matter where it's from as long as it's regulation (meets the standards for that game).

When you buy Nike you're (typically) buying them to play a Nike-game.

When you buy a Wilson glove to [use it as] a Nike glove, you're just trying to screw over Nike, local retailers, and cheating the other team.
    Oh, and a nice attempt on the redirects and purposefully making incorrect comparisons as well ("regulation" games vs. pick up games in the park, on the playground, etc.). And I've got to admit that it's always a kick to watch people try to deflect from the actual issue (gaming with non-GW minis) into the traditional inflammatory techniques ("cheating", dis-loyalty to GW, dis-loyalty to your LGS, etc.).

Hivefleet Cobra-Kai

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky Narfanek View Post

Oh, and a nice attempt on the redirects and purposefully making incorrect comparisons as well ("regulation" games vs. pick up games in the park, on the playground, etc.). And I've got to admit that it's always a kick to watch people try to deflect from the actual issue (gaming with non-GW minis) into the traditional inflammatory techniques ("cheating", dis-loyalty to GW, dis-loyalty to your LGS, etc.).

You're comparing generic sports games (games with regulation equipment, made by different manufactures, all for the purpose of playing the same game) to a hobby game. a table top miniatures hobby game. this is why it's not a fair comparison.

lets take basketball for example. It was not created by nike. nike makes generic sized basketballs to play with. there are no legit leagues or tourneys where you must use nike only equipment (which to be honest, is sometimes not all that great anyhow). Unless it's some type of nike sponsored event...but whatever. Nike just happens to make very popular shoes that make playing basketball more comfortable. But if you want to play a regular game of basketball you need a 10' hoop and a basketball...preferably one that is aired up properly, of the standard size and weight.

Now if you want to play with a 5' hoop and a beach ball...sure. you go right ahead. but that's not really basketball, is it?

If you are you saying it's perfectly fine to use you're little green army men in a game of 40k. I'm respectfully disagreeing.

Now if you converted them into something that meets the same standards (ie, models have the same 'foot print' of the model they are representing, etc) then it gets sorta fuzzy. One thing i don't support is stifling creativity in conversion work. But where is the line at? is slapping a gun on a tonka truck good enough or does it need more work?

And I don't mean cheating in the since of 'one player is getting the advantage' i mean cheating someone out of a 40k game. cause, imho, I don't think you're playing 40k at that point...you're playing with green army men. Or a tonka trunk. Or with you're pet pug painted green to be a squigoth (which would be hilarious...but still not 40k).

But hey, if you want to play with your green army men, with your friends in your club house that is totally fine.

My point is this: If you're playing a GW game, use the right minis. This IS NOT basketball.

And yes, the reason people say things like the "inflammatory techniques" is because it's true. You are hurting GW by not using the mini's they sculpt and create for your purchase. You are hurting your local gaming store by not purchasing products from them so they can keep the doors open. And you are hurting the hobby by not spending the time to make your armies look and feel like 40k armies. If you don't like paying for mini's to play the hobby, get a new hobby. I hear basketball is fun.

Now, I really don't want to keep this going. I'm pretty sure you're set in your ways, and I'm set in mine. So I'll not try to convince you anymore. I think we've both said our piece.

Librarian

If you feel cheated because your opponent didn't put a Gw model on the board, IT'S TIME TO STOP BUYING MODELS FOR A WHILE. You've clearly made bad financial decisions when you feel jealous about paying more for plastic army men.

No, I am neither joking nor trolling. I'm deadly serious.

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast