BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Since he is running Pedro, doesn't that make his Sternguard troops? Or just make them count as scoring?

I do feel that drop podding Sternguard is a waste though, as they are tooled up for shooting. They get into assault and while yes, they are decent, they are not doing what they excel at.

Chaplain

They only count as scoring, they don't become troops, so yes, you need two troops choices in there.
    "Nuh Uhn" is the valid counter argument to "Uhn Huh," which was the entire Affirmative case presented. -JWolf

Brother-Sergeant

Scouts would probably be your best bet for troops, seeing as you said you like the models
    "What is the air speed of an unladen valkyrie?"
    "Lucian or Martian pattern valkyrie?"

Veteran-Sergeant

drop pod armies only work if you play space wolves

Librarian

I know he's expensive and I know you said that you like Pedro Cantor for the Crimson Fists theme but a pod heavy army can really benefit from Tigurius. The ability to control your reserves (rerolling any reserves roll, even successful ones) is golden and can reduce the impact of some of the sneaky anti reserves tactics that people use.

Also the ability to use three psychic powers a turn, null zone, force dome and GoI spring to mind means you can have a sternguard squad bouncing around the board with a 5++ save that forces your opponent to reroll invulnerable saves. Pop a couple of locator beacons on your pods for more fun
    Cats and Dogs are better than kids because they eat less, don't ask for money and if they get pregnant you can sell their children.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by eagleboy7259 View Post
    Pedro lets you take Sternguard as troops?
    I wish. No, he makes sternies into scoring units so you still need 2 x tactical squads or a scout sqad or two (or mix thereof!)

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarcissist View Post
    drop pod armies only work if you play space wolves

Wolves do enjoy the drop pod BUUUUTTTT once you've landed in a drop pod marines lack mobility - and the prime drop pod wolves units lack ranged heavy weapons which on tac squads extends the range of their effect after podding (say onto a mid board objective) nicely.

Also worthy of note in a Csm list:-

sternguard rock.

Having more than 10 guys in a pod rocks.

Ironclads rock.

Combat tactics really rocks v orks and tyranids on a deep strike (round of shooting - receive a round of shooting and fall back out of assault range etc) rocks.

Alternatively Pedro with 12" of fun rule and stubborn rocks.

Complementary homing beacons, scout bikers and beacons on pods with vanguard vets also rocks

Combination of several of the above really rocks.

Oh, and not getting your plaits / beard trapped in the drop pod doors when they shut is also priceless.

Chapter-Master

Yeah, there are two problems with drop pod armies:

1. Drop Pod assault allows your opponent to simply reserve their entire army, then steamroller over the now stranded drop pod units.

2. Once you land, you're stuck footslogging. You're slow and exposed. The enemy will probably be able to drive right up and blow you away, unless you get to use the Drop Pod's alpha strike to hurt the enemy first. But, of course, then you have to refer back to problem number 1.

You can negate problem 1 by only taking a few drop pods, but it's tough to get around number 2.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Librarian

How does the enemy reserving everything = auto win for them? For the most part most armies don't have access or don't include units which alter their reserves rolls, so rather than facing an enemy that is trying to alpha strike me back I'm facing a trickle of reserves that can sometimes can completely screw them. Not to mention I can hide my units behind my drop pods or go to ground to pick up cover saves, I feel like if I cram enough in or around his deployment zone I can control the game, getting in to melta range and getting dreads into good assault match ups. I have tried this kind of tactic before - people often play games against us demons players, all deep strike does not equal an automatic loss.

It's not really specific in the C:SM FAQ and GW's website, but isn't the wording for Pedro the same as Logan, Belial, and Sammy? I'll trust you guys tho...

Abbess Sanctorum

I've always wanted to try a list using an Imperial Guard Company Command Squad with an Officer of the Fleet retinue and an allied DH Inqusitior with two Msytics near a pair of LRBTs to counter an all drop pod list.

Regardless, I actually would NOT put my Sisters in reserve when fighting against a drop podding list. IMO it'd hurt me more than it'd help me...
    Last edited by Melissia; 04-08-2010 at 12:02 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast