BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by TheyStoleMyName! View Post
    Bits and pieces of it get used locally - nothing seems gamebreaking, though we've toned down things like Superheavies and D-Weapons locally as it is. Biggest thing I've noticed is that CSM players (myself included) are all relying really heavily on IA13 stuff to be functional at all - Rapier batteries, Sicarans and Fire Raptors go a long way towards making the army stand up.
    Dear lord, D-weapons are already toned down enough!!!
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

I love forgeworld stuff. gives such a huge variety and allows you to really enhance your army form the typical stuff you see week in week out at your gaming club. I almost always run a deredeo Dreadnought in a 2K Imperial Fist Army as my anti-flyer battery, and have every single Land Raider variant (apart from the typhon, which i'm currently saving up for).
    I feel you can almost always justify the additional rules due to the typical points increase (deredeo being a 220 pt dreadnought for example.
    They are now officially accepted into 40K games so anyone who *****es is complaining, in the same way they could complain about a new codex etc...
    I think recently some of the new formations released (i'm looking at you sky hammer) are way more OP than Forgeworld.

On a final point i never bring my Warhound titan to a gme of 40k. That would just be rude!

From my perspective, the rule of cool applies.
    I buy FW primarily because I like the model. If the rules are good, that's a bonus! I'll field them because they fit the theme of my army, or just on a whim, not because they're powerful (nowadays I find most FW stuff is not that powerful for it's points, especially since much of it can't be taken in formations)
    My only real limitation for FW, since it is by default game legal, is to make sure my opponent knows what it is/does, and has some reasonable means to fight it (always a good general rule for a fun game; if he has no anti air, don't field mass fliers. If he has no anti armor, no Landraiders etc). Anything superheavy or Gargantuan (FW or not) I view as a discuss beforehand.

Personally i used to field the Imperial Armour guard tank regiment. it was fluffy, and not as overpowered as you'd expected.
    Turned up with an army of russes, most at standard BS, standard varients. Only differance was that a vanq could have coaxial weapons and an instant death small blast.
    People used to complain a bit about it and i got a reputation as a bit of a tank head. the thing is, it just forced people to think about what they were doing. rather than sit back and shoot they had a better chance at charging me.
    When GW bought out the maelstrom missions with objectives, things got really hard for the IA tank head as we couldnt really cap objectives at a 6inch movement (though obj secured when we did was nice)

At that point people were more than happy to play the 'table to win' tank list and i had some seriously fun, fluffy, close games

Then flash forwards to now. Boom Cadian rules come out, with a Decurion style formation of formations. The tank head getts some serious advantages such as BS4 russes across the board, and an army of enginseers to rep them. Want a centrepiece and Boom theres your super rules that you can take alongside. Want heavy arty support and Boom arty with orders.

Suddenly people dont want to play my army again, and it isnt even using FW rules anymore. The *****ing and whining is back.
    in a 750pts doubles we had, i took a guard russ formation with 5 russes and a tech priest. My ally (being a tank head as well) took an unbound shadowsword, wyvern, demolisher. I was the one who people whined about.

One of our games at the local store, a necron player kept his entire army in reserve to fly them in, so we cleared the marine player on turn one.. The store manager gave him a Lord of Skulls to 'make up for a terrible turn one' which we killed in two turns of shooting.

Long story short, FW may have been OP back in the day, and yeah now theres a lot of rapier batteries, raptors and sicarians, but theres enough silly fomations and combinations in standard GW that anyone who complains is only doing it now because they dont understand or because they envy their opponents models.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12