BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Librarian

Default Forgeworld in 40k, your preference now?

With the IA 11 new edition moving the Lynx from LoW to Heavy Support and other changes.
    Do you feel that Forgeworld models are overpowered? Does your group have restrictions for leagues or tournaments for FW models?

Personally, I feel that FW has toned down the super units of old. I think when they were Apoc only, OP weapons and rules were okay and expected. But I am now feeling they are more in line with regular 40k play.

What are your thoughts? Has FW effected your group's play?

Brother-Sergeant

Honestly there is almost nothing that FW has released since the massive power creep spike in normal GW that has felt grossly overpowered. Especially with 30k it is far more balanced than GW rules (looking at Eldar and Tau).

Brother-Captain

General standard here is you ave to bring the proper rules, you have to let your opponent look at the rules beforehand, and if you try to shove stuff like titans (of any stripe) in a non-Apocalypse game nobody is going to play you. If you bring them to an Apoc game everyone will love you. It's just a case of reasonable expectations, really.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

I think a lot will depend on individual games and how comparable things are to your opponents units. for example dreadclaws would be much more acceptable when playing someone with access to regular drop pods than say another chaos marine player who will feel that you simply payed for an advantage in game.

I do second the idea of having the rules to show your opponent as well, many players myself included have only a basic understanding of many forgeworld units and they often have complicated rules. Also be open to the idea that after a few games if something does look to be stronger than the local meta you might need to rethink your inclusion.

Even with the creep (nay "leap") in 40k, Forgeworld still provides bonuses. Every player (even myself) brings a Forgeworld model because its less points or gives an advantage that the rest of their codex army doesn't offer.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    Even with the creep (nay "leap") in 40k, Forgeworld still provides bonuses. Every player (even myself) brings a Forgeworld model because its less points or gives an advantage that the rest of their codex army doesn't offer.
    Nonsense, I use forgeworld because I like the models, every player I play with is the same. Rules are for losers.
    Last edited by Path Walker; 01-04-2016 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    Pretty much this. There is a reason why it is the same ****ty looking models with good rules over and over again instead of the good looking ones with ****ty rules.

I've just started on the Forgeworld side of things with The Doom of Mymerea. Just got some Wasps and will be adding a Corsair army as my Eldar allies just because I like the fluffy idea of it. Vanilla Eldar, Harlies, and Corsairs =D

Bits and pieces of it get used locally - nothing seems gamebreaking, though we've toned down things like Superheavies and D-Weapons locally as it is. Biggest thing I've noticed is that CSM players (myself included) are all relying really heavily on IA13 stuff to be functional at all - Rapier batteries, Sicarans and Fire Raptors go a long way towards making the army stand up.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Morgrim View Post
    General standard here is you ave to bring the proper rules, you have to let your opponent look at the rules beforehand, and if you try to shove stuff like titans (of any stripe) in a non-Apocalypse game nobody is going to play you. If you bring them to an Apoc game everyone will love you. It's just a case of reasonable expectations, really.
    The last sentence is the point of contention. Everyone has different expectations. I agree woth your assessment though. I use FW Cuz it adds to the model variety,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast