BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Astra Militarum

Default Astra Militarum

Late in 2015 there was some rumor that the Imperial Guard would see a new codex release in the early days of 2016. Of course, this was before the Mont'Ka and Kauyon releases and the new Start Collecting... sets being released.

Out of Kauyon, the IG got plenty of new formations and whatnots, and with the new Start Collecting set, they got another one. Because of that, I'm wondering if there's going to be a codex re-release this year, or if IG players will stick with the 6th edition codex they've been working from. Mainly, I wonder because I have a six-year-old son who wants to start playing, and we've decided he'll play Imperial Guard. It's about time to get the codex, but I don't want to drop $45 on the codex and find out two weeks later that it's been updated and now I need to buy it again, this time for $60.

Has anyone heard any rumors regarding the release of a new codex for ... /shudder... Astra Militarum?

To be honest rumors are never going to be all that accurate with regards to timing. most games workshops will offer to exchange the codex for the new one if it comes within a certain time of you buying the codex, talk to the staff members and keep the receipt. even if that is not an option few of the updated 7th ed codexes have been minor changes, so unless your son is playing hyper competitive gamers or staff members, no one will mind if he is using the 6th ed one.

The Guard book has been the soft back version for a while, I wouldn't read anything into that although there is the small hardback version available online at the same price. I wouldn't consider buying the Mont'ka book for a beginner, the formations in it are extremely expensive to put together both in points and money. The Cadian Defence Force offers very good value for money and can be run as an army using the regular Combined arms detachment. the start collecting set doesn't look too bad value either even if I am not sold on that commissar model

Librarian

if yr concerned TBH Ide just grab a used AS codex as they are around pretty easily (grabbed one for myself earlier this year)

Battle-Brother

I know the current codex is only available in soft-cover..and with Kauyon bringing a bunch of new formations and such for the AM, I'd expect that content would be in the new book.
    I'm pretty confident (without paying attention to the rumour mill) that we'll see a new codex for Astra Militarum at some stage this year. It's about that time again :P

But honestly, pick up a second-hand copy of the book and go have fun, no point waiting around unless it was an absolutely imminent release, which it clearly won't be.

Chapter-Master

Would be cool if they got a decent modern infantry kit, preferably a whole new regiment.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Quote Originally Posted by Ruadhan2300 View Post
    But honestly, pick up a second-hand copy of the book and go have fun, no point waiting around unless it was an absolutely imminent release, which it clearly won't be.
    I have an old 5th edition copy of the Codex (back when it was still called Imperial Guard) and have been operating with that. I guess I'll continue to stick with that for the time being and wait for the new version to be published.

Librarian

tbh probably not the worst to get by with, orders are a little different but not by much, lil points drop on the chimera, and scions and the wyvern are pretty cool, those are the main things yr missn out on.

We could well be seeing it soon.

There's currently four Codecies available only in Softback. Last year, anything that went softback wound up with a new edition at some point.

Codecies are Orks (well due one), Tyranids (need one to put all their stuff in one place) Chaos Space Marines (again, nearly due anyways) and of course, Astra Militarum.

When exactly we'll see this, no idea. And it's not guaranteed. Just an informed observation.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks