BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Iron hands army ideas

New to Warhammer and I've stumbled across the iron hands space marine faction and have decided upon them as my starting army! Any ideas as to what I should specifically include or exclude from it??

Veteran-Sergeant

Allied Mechanicum... Even if it is just a Tech-Priest Dominus (who can repair all your lovely tanks on a 2+) and a unit of (3) Kataphron Destroyers (with Heavy Grav Cannons, 18 grav shots per turn at 30") as they take out almost anything from across the board this will run you to about 275pts in an Allied Detachment.

From the Marines Codex: thunderfire cannons, Librarian conclave, and scouts with sniper rifles as troops, and lots of tanks/Flyers/Dreadnaughts (you are playing Iron Hands after all). probably should exclude things like Crusader Squads and Assault Squads.
    Last edited by Mr.Gold; 01-09-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Chapter-Master

Iron Hands favour lots of infantry backed up with tanks and dreadnoughts. they like to plant their feet in the mud, weather the enemy fire, and dish out a lot of their own. so I would go for tactical sqauds, terminators, dreads, predators or vindicators, less in the way of fast attack.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Iron Hands Dreadnoughts are the only kind to get It Will Not Die, making them far more survivable than regular marine Dreads. Still not sure if they're really survivable enough to be worth it (I like the idea of running a squadron of 3 with 2x twin autocannon and a squadron of 3 Ironclads with DCCW, Chainfist and 2x Heavy Flamer) but they're pretty cool.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Ironclad Dreadnoughts in drop pods is a great way to cause serious havoc. Give them melta guns, land, shoot some heavy armor to pieces, and weather the return fire. Next turn move, shoot, and charge the nearest infantry unit or armor piece you can reach.

Thanks for the feedback guys! It's appreciated! I do have a few land raiders and other vehicles so I think I'm heading in the right direction.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I read someplace else that the drop pod technique is pretty solid... I just need a couple more dreads and drops and ill be golden.

- - - Updated - - -

I swore in the new sm codex it said all models and vehicles get iwnd...??

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless_Iron View Post
    I swore in the new sm codex it said all models and vehicles get iwnd...??
    Only those vehicles with the Chapter Tactics Rule (aka Dreadnaughts).

Default Iron Hands chapter tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gold View Post
    Only those vehicles with the Chapter Tactics Rule (aka Dreadnaughts).
    This is incorrect.

The Iron Hands Chapter Tactics (pg 190) says "Machine Empathy:Iron Hands characters and vehicles have the It Will Not Die special rule." (emphasis added)