BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Games Workshop fails to weave its magic at Christmas

[url]http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jan/08/games-workshop-fails-weave-christmas-magic[/url]
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

The article doesn't include any analysis, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was due to the Star Wars release sucking up lots of people's cash.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

UK High Street as a whole had a tough Christmas.

Many of the big stores started their January sales entirely the wrong side of Christmas.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Our local store had a tough time all-round. Christmas is expensive, I didn't buy anything that month because my money was put into Christmas prezzies, New Years Eve, Christmas dinner with work, etc, etc. December's just a pricey month.

Plus money's tight for a lot of people right now, and I know most are having to really weigh up what to spend their wonga on. I mean, the new Massive ships for Halo landed at the end of November, so what little hobby budget I had went towards getting myself the CAS Assault Carrier.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Money being spent on Christmas presents would, in theory, help them, because people might buy GW stuff for their friend or family member who plays/collects GW.

But that money is being directed elsewhere. My friend got me a CR-90 for X-Wing instead of anything GW related. I did buy something GW-related myself for Christmas, a set of Harlequins for my brother, who I'm not sure even plays the game right now (he still doesn't have the new Eldar codex).

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Money being spent on Christmas presents would, in theory, help them, because people might buy GW stuff for their friend or family member who plays/collects GW.

But that money is being directed elsewhere. My friend got me a CR-90 for X-Wing instead of anything GW related. I did buy something GW-related myself for Christmas, a set of Harlequins for my brother, who I'm not sure even plays the game right now (he still doesn't have the new Eldar codex).
    To be fair, I'm not sure I know of anyone who got anything hobby related for Christmas.

I got myself a pair of X-Wing Assault Carriers, if that counts?

AoS group on FB showed a great many AoS related Chrimbo pressies.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Haighus View Post
    The article doesn't include any analysis, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was due to the Star Wars release sucking up lots of people's cash.
    That was my first thought too. It's basically been the month of Star Wars.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

And Fallout 4. Let's face it, between the two and Christmas itself, who has even had time for hobby? :P

First-Captain

Its also the first Christmas when "current gen" consoles were at the generally affordable Christmas present level

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast