BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by mikethefish View Post
    Oh really? Why the dislike so much? Do you not like their models or their actual rules? Personally I always thought they looked really neat - a different flavor from the usual Cygnaran storm units and such.
    The models certainly look fine--no doubt about that.

But they have zero capability in close combat (P+S of 7??) Avg Mat/Rat, a decent rifle (Though why rifles have a Rng of 10, and hand cannons have 12" I'll never understand...) but no combined ranged attack, no "ambush" ability, and the "mark the target" ability means that they're getting pounded the turn after. 5" away from an enemy model/unit is not a good place for a non-melee oriented mini to be! That, and with their lousy armor, a near miss on a AoE weapon means they'll die anyways...

Rangers in Mk 1 were a different story--but now? Not so much.

For the points, I can use my beloved Trenchers and get the job done better, faster. Or get Sword Knights (which are really starting to grow on me) for some potentially sick flank attack charges.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by scadugenga View Post
    That, and I just really dislike Rangers, and many of the Tiers require them. Blech.
    Ever tried Rangers with Sloan or, even better, eCaine? +2 to RAT is a game winner, simply put.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by mazgier View Post
    Ever tried Rangers with Sloan or, even better, eCaine? +2 to RAT is a game winner, simply put.

RAT 8 warcasters really don't need much more, particularly when they bump up to 10 by not moving. Range is more important, IMO.

'Sides, my trenchers really outperform ranges at just about every function outside of the +2 rat.

And Finn can give Trenchers that ability.

Battle-Brother

Well, if that's how you see it the only thing I can do is to wish you luck with your Trenchers...

First-Captain

Okay, one thing I didn't think about is the spiffy Rangers give Kara in the Tier list.

That could redeem them for being worth something other than bullet catchers.

I'll (if I'm lucky) get the chance to try out Tier4 pMags in a SR 35 pt tourney in a couple weeks. We'll see how it goes!

Librarian

You know, Rangers are a pretty cheap, high Rat pow 10 unit. It isn't like Cygnar doesn't have too many of those already though.

Quote Originally Posted by mazgier View Post
    Really, this is absolutely true. I know that it looks like eCaine could never need help to hit, but hitting a def 15 or 16 'caster is just barely outside of his average non-boosted capacity. And on eCaine's feat turn, hitting with each shot matters way too much.

Sure, you can get Caine up to Rat 10 by standing him still, but that drops your 'caster kill range from 19" all the way down to 12".

I'll give you that Rangers are more of a specialized support unit than Trenchers, but they're a pretty darn good one.

www.GardenNinja.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123