BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Default Cheating at painting! - basic wash tutorial

Hi there, TSINI here.

just wanted to share with some people my basic painting techniques - and they are basic

to achieve something like this

This is obviously not for advanced painters, as it does not use any advanced techniques, but more for the beginner painter, who doesnt feel they will ever get the hang of drybrushing / layering. like me

Rather than Re-post it here (it includes many photos)

follow this [URL="http://hivesplinterborlin.blogspot.com/2010/04/hive-tyrant-commanding-rarrrr-and-how.html"]link to my tutorial post on my blog[/URL]
    Last edited by TSINI; 04-10-2010 at 07:30 AM.
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

While I consider myself an experienced painter comparative to most of my gaming group, none of us have Adepticon-skill levels. However, in experimenting with my new Blood Angels, I tried using a wash for the first time. Immediately after seeing the results, I suggested exactly the same thing, "this is so easy, it's cheating."

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Image View Post
    While I consider myself an experienced painter comparative to most of my gaming group, none of us have Adepticon-skill levels. However, in experimenting with my new Blood Angels, I tried using a wash for the first time. Immediately after seeing the results, I suggested exactly the same thing, "this is so easy, it's cheating."
    I know what you mean. the first time i used any of the washes i thought that it was too easy.
    My son, ask for thyself another Kingdom, for that which I leave is too small for thee.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Image View Post
    yeah exactly,

I'm not so skilled, i can paint to very high detail (i have a very steady hand and due to being short sighted, i can see tiny details) but simple things like dry-brushing (i kind of get it, but it doesnt work well in practice), layering and free-handing completely go over my head.

but I hate seeing basic dull, pallette-matte colours on models, and I know the feeling when you place your painstakingly painted army on the table - and you're instantly outclassed by everyone. so I thought I'd offer some advice to those people looking to get good results simply and easily. I can't express how much washes have changed my wargaming life! lol

Chaplain

Great work Tsini! I think your washes make your nids look great. There is something to be said for the basics. People sometimes forget about the basic things....like washes....drybrushing....a nice clean base coat.....and they just go on and on about non metalic metal, wet blending, freehand, and object source lighting. You have done a fine job showing how a basic technique can greatly enhance your models...and can actually be the center of a whole army.

Being the totaly unoriginal person that I am, I'm totally going to steal that paint scheme as it looks awesome.

Good job

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by synack View Post
    Being the totaly unoriginal person that I am, I'm totally going to steal that paint scheme as it looks awesome.

Good job
    lol cheers, and stealing paint schemes isnt a problem, i definately didn't steal mine though *whistles*

hehe

Brother-Sergeant

Awesome guide and amazing looking models, I haven't tried it yet but how well does that style turn out for Space Marines?

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by TSINI View Post
    i have a very steady hand and due to being short sighted, i can see tiny details) but simple things like dry-brushing (i kind of get it, but it doesnt work well in practice), layering and free-handing completely go over my head.
    That's funny, I don't have much trouble with dry brushing or layering, but washes like this I have trouble with. And my hands shake a little and I'm long sighted, so no detail or freehand.

Back on topic, good tutorial, and great minis. The washes give it a nice organic look.

Might not work as well for marines since it will mottle them, and because they are smother the illusion of depth won't be as great - but the best answer is to try it out.

Brother-Captain

For space marines, washes are still awesome. You just have to do a little more work to get it to look even. I usually basecoat, apply a black wash, and then basecoat again, leaving the pits and deep spots darkened. Then I'll highlight if I feel like it, but that's optional. It works well and it's pretty quick.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast