BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    Ahh well it was was nice to be talking about AoS if only for a while
    Just pop them on ignore.

But give Erik a chance. He's a bit wordy (Sorry dude, but you are quite verbose) but he's far from unpleasant.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Seems daft that Chaos is the equal opportunities employer compared to The Good Guys....
    But is it, though? I mean, I suppose in the fluff it is, but with the figures released so far, has there been even a single female model created for AoS? I don't mean rereleases. I mean in the models released since AoS was put in the market.

And when Chaos is the one with women and LGBT folks, they usually end up being evil or deviant, which doesn't send a great message.

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    Slaanesh is about sensation and pleasure. Deviancy is a moralistic stance and the Choas gods really don't care about morality, certainly not from a human perspective.
    Indeed, yet the common misconception is that it's all about hopping on the good foot and doing the bad thing to anything with anything.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

True. It nice to see they're tying to change that and evolve the background. I hope more people will jump on board because it's going to add a great deal of depth to the characterisations. Which can only be good for the narative.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    But is it, though? I mean, I suppose in the fluff it is, but with the figures released so far, has there been even a single female model created for AoS? I don't mean rereleases. I mean in the models released since AoS was put in the market.

And when Chaos is the one with women and LGBT folks, they usually end up being evil or deviant, which doesn't send a great message.
    Model? Not as yet.

But read the background stories. From memory, on Nurgle is yet to have female warriors explicitly within his forces - and even then its not actively ruled out

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
    When there are just as many females playing as men then you will get your wish. Until then, they dont bother Cuz there is no point. Its a game aboot jacked up space men. Just be happy that in the books there are many females that are not pushovers nor "women in distress" In my experience the females portrayed in the books are pretty badass actually.
    Theres no women in the game Cuz there isnt many women that play. I know you don't like it when I inject reality in, but it is the truth.
    So maybe you could stop holding it against them as it's just a game and nothing to condemn a company over. I know you just can't help yourself so, neither can I.
    I'm sorry, but that's bollocks. (I want to say stronger, but I'll overload the censorship.)

I'm a guy. I like good female characters. I enjoyed Rey and Phasma in Star Wars. I like seeing female characters in other games. Loaded up Wasteland 2 to give it a go last night, built a half-and-half squad.

I'm not some weird anomaly. Tomb Raider sold well with the new version that didn't over-sexualize Lara Croft. Other games with a female protagonist are doing well.

Other miniatures game companies include more female models. Other than when it's, say, a historical game, in an era that didn't really include female soldiers.

So what are we saying here? That Games Workshop's current player base is comprised almost entirely of boys who feel their masculinity challenged by the sight of a female miniature? That seems to be who they're marketing to with all of that. You're not going to draw in more women with an exclusive game. Designing a game to feel like women aren't welcome and then saying "Well, it's designed this way because you won't join the club!" is just insane.

There are even third party companies making bits to convert, say, female Cadians, and they're able to sell those because there IS a demand.

GW just doesn't do it because they're stuck in their own little bunker unaware of how the world works, and the boys inside that bunker all think women are "yucky" and can't be strong enough to be heroes. And while they do that, I don't blame women for looking elsewhere (which, of course, then gets used as an excuse to continue excluding them).

But heck, even just thinking about myself, I want some more variety in my models. If/when I do an IG army, I'm totally getting some of those conversion bits, and maybe even grabbing a proper female Commissar (though I'll be forced to use Commissar Corset when playing in a GW store). But hey, I'm comfortable with my masculinity, I don't feel it threatened at all by playing with female toy soldiers. (Or, for example, playing a female character in Fallout 4, where my characters are 50/50 right now.)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know that Slaanesh is about deviancy etc, so much as pushing your own boundaries and experience. More tasting everything than deliberately setting out to outrage societal decency.
    Yes, but "tasting everything" is seen my most people to be perversion and deviancy. Otherwise, maybe we wouldn't have so many laws about who could marry who, what you can eat, drink, smoke, or swallow, and what you can do to your own body (i.e. tattoos, piercings, stuff like that). Ditto for the treatment of anyone who's had multiple partners (never mind that the majority of people have) as some kind of, ah, impolite name which I shall not repeat here.

And given that they've never showed Slaanesh as a libertarian but more as focusing on the more shocking stuff, that's the impression people have when they think of Slaanesh and its followers.

- - - Updated - - -

Just pop them on ignore.

But give Erik a chance. He's a bit wordy (Sorry dude, but you are quite verbose) but he's far from unpleasant.
    I blame my education. They taught me to explain my points as well as possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Model? Not as yet.

But read the background stories. From memory, on Nurgle is yet to have female warriors explicitly within his forces - and even then its not actively ruled out
    Yeah, but most people are only really going to see the models, so that's where work needs done.

I mean, yeah, we're talking background wishlisting here, but it's nice to see the background reflected in the models, right?

Chaplain

Its aboot money Erik. That's all. I agree with all your sentiments, variety would be nice....and where the hell are my SoB!?! That's my first army right there and I haven't seen em get any love.
    I hold by to what I said though. Until more women spend money on the game, can't see them spending a red cent. And again. I don't agree with that, just telling it the way I see it.

Chapter-Master

Gotta agree with Erik on this one. I like AoS but I want female model representation and I don't really identify with male fighters anyway. I want female valkyrie stormcasts and a battletome for Witch Elves. I'd like to see females when they finally do a human army too, but I am pessimistic that they would do any of that after how poorly the Sisters of battle have been treated. I think only the Dark eldar range in 40k has really managed to get any semblance of balance. Sadly this isn't even a problem unique to GW but the wider "toy industry" : [url]http://www.hypable.com/star-wars-toymakers-specifically-directed-to-exclude-rey/[/url]
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Brother-Captain

You'll never get Valkyrie models it's an existing fantasy trope and GW and definitely trying to produce something new with AoS. However this is probably going to be the thing that's going to give you what you want (or something like it). As Mystery says there are female characters popping up. In fact the first and I think only named Human In Gates of Azyr (and that was the first story released) is a woman I think the early indications are quite positive for you.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Yup.

Positive as long as we get models

Saturday gets the Stunty Book and the Stunty Army Book. I'm excite for both!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast