BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Oh? They won't use any ideas that already exist? Like Greek style armor, soldiers covered entirely in gold, spiritual warriors in armor, magma lizards, stuff like that? All these things I can go to Google, type in, and see so many existing variations of?

Just because they slapped stupid names on everything to trademark them (screw you, G-Dub, Dwarfs are Dwarfs and Orcs are Orcs and Ogres are Ogres, I'm not using your ridiculous new names) doesn't mean they actually have new ideas for everything.

Brother-Captain

Actually all this talk has got me thinking.

I remember there was a rumour about Orcs becoming taller and rangier and matriarchal. Well that's pretty much the Fimir may be someone has seen something and thought "well they're green they must be orcs".

Maybe Erik but I'd suggest there's a world of difference between having gold armour and a specific named character and or unit.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Interesting point indeed.

The description of Orruks in the latest story shows they're still big green gorilla types, definitely not tall and rangey.

Though.....there could be new breeds of Orcs?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

I'm interested in seeing what direction they go in with the Duradin, I know they're a ways off, but I got a box of Ironbreakers on a whim last week and now I want more!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    You'll never get Valkyrie models it's an existing fantasy trope and GW and definitely trying to produce something new with AoS. However this is probably going to be the thing that's going to give you what you want (or something like it). As Mystery says there are female characters popping up. In fact the first and I think only named Human In Gates of Azyr (and that was the first story released) is a woman I think the early indications are quite positive for you.
    I meant in a general sense - I previously suggested them being inspired by Claymore (the anime)
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    I meant in a general sense - I previously suggested them being inspired by Claymore (the anime)
    Fair enough. To be honest anime references go right over my head. After watching legend of the overfiend I tend to give that stuff a wide berth of course manga and anime may not even be the same thing as far as I know. Besides Sigmar sending out Valkyrie like warriors to recruit mighty mortal Heroes to join his Stormcast would be quite cool

That is a cool mental image

After all, I don't think there's anything preventing him forging future Stormcast

From a background point of view, AoS and Episode VII have me as giddy as a kid again, because I don't know everything about their settings. Which of course means much reading is in my future!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

I'm not so giddy about Star Wars 😝. The AoS developing story line has definitely got the old juicies flowing though.

Slowly catching up it's quite nice to see that the Old World and the events that occurred are not entirely forgotten. Just read a bit with a Stormcast expressing his surprise that Sigmar was just a man and not a god at one point and with the mention of their old pact with chaos in the Stormscorn description it's nice to see that even with its destruction the Old World and all that happened has not been erased.

Yup.

The more I see, the more I'm intrigued.

The kick off was perhaps too Stomcast heavy. Whilst I understand the necessity (sales of new toys), I think it allowed those who were never going to give it a chance all they needed to make up nonsense about whole armies being dropped etc.

It's been out for 7 or so months now, and the pace of the background has been decent enough - shifting away from how awesome Stormcast are etc to exploring the Realms and that.

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    I'm not so giddy about Star Wars 😝. The AoS developing story line has definitely got the old juicies flowing though.
    Eh... On my end, the more I read of Star Wars background, the more it makes sense, whereas with AoS, the more I read, the more I feel they didn't have a coherent plan in place and are some day going to wake up with the realization there's a lot they'll have to retcon because they're already being contradictory.

Part of the problem with including the events of the "world-that-was" is that it brings up more questions. Like if these guys remember what was done to them, why don't they remember what they're called? How did all of these races get recreated exactly as they are, but can't remember who they are? Why are all these heroes alive again and seemingly immortal? Why did Archaon's motivations shift? How the heck do you bring a daemon back after it was destroyed to summon another daemon?

The naming thing just comes off as more ridiculous the more they try to tie in the old fluff (and it was just stupid to start with... there is no other word for it, it was a fit of stupidity by a group of morons wanting to trademark names for fantasy tropes because they seem to like paying lawyers). And the whole deal with bringing back all the dead people? Suddenly all the sacrifices were meaningless. The emotional impact of those deaths is negated. They meant nothing. And after the Skaven advanced quite a good bit in a short period of time, they've been stuck with absolutely no technological advancements for thousands of years, with the Stormfiends still being the pinnacle? There's nothing to explain these problems, because there was no central plan.

Sure, they have all these stories for the Golden Armor Brigade, but for those of us who find an army of people who all look the same and are meant to be Fantasy Space Marines to be boring, that's not helping that the rest of the fluff is largely a mess, and they're not showing the slightest concern in fixing it (probably because they don't think it's worth the money or time invested).

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast