BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Interesting read.

Now cue the commenters saying that guy doesn't know what he's talking about when he talks about selling GW stuff in toy stores, like how investors don't know anything about economics. *Sigh.*

Chapter-Master

I think he had a very interesting viewpoint. And I suppose he's as "in the know" as a portfolio manager. Definitely a fascinating read.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Interesting read.

Now cue the commenters saying that guy doesn't know what he's talking about when he talks about selling GW stuff in toy stores, like how investors don't know anything about economics. *Sigh.*
    LOL. Ask and ye shall receive. Spiky Bits did an article Splodge linked a page back saying pretty much that. He basically says moms wont buy them for their kids and gw has no business doin it this late in the game. Funny read. My favorite part is when he calls himself a professional. Actually laughed out loud at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
    LOL. Ask and ye shall receive. Spiky Bits did an article Splodge linked a page back saying pretty much that. He basically says moms wont buy them for their kids and gw has no business doin it this late in the game. Funny read. My favorite part is when he calls himself a professional. Actually laughed out loud at that.
    But he's got a point. I can't remember seeing model kits in department stores in a long time. Not sure about toy stores, but I don't think they're in there, either. I'm sure that varies by region. It seems, though, that even building kits aren't as in demand as they used to be, with LEGO mainly working because of their movies and video games to help drum up interest in their products. And given recent trends toward being terrified of little Billy holding anything sharp or using glue (IIRC, there are laws regarding glue, which is why GW doesn't toss some in with their starter sets.)

GW's got an interesting idea, but I think it'll work better in hobby shops than toy stores. But that's more their target anyway, get the young modelers interested. One major concern with putting their products, even entry level, into toy stores is that it's effectively an admission that you know, despite your words, that you sell toys. (We all know they do, but they've gotten a pretty snotty attitude about admitting it.)

Yeah... the glue thing does still seem to be an issue, in the US at least. Doing a quick search, it seems there's still states where selling glue to minors or people under 16 isn't legal (though some give a specific exception if the glue is to be used with modeling, which you can cover by packing it in the box). So that might be a concern to deal with. I'd think their legal eagles are looking into that, though, to make sure they comply.

Brother-Captain

I think it's also the type of glue. Superglue could be seen as a health hazard since it's easy to injure yourself with it if you get it in your eyes or glue yourself to an object and try to tear it off. Some other glues can be sniffed to get high.

Plastic glue is 'safe' though, from memory, so they should be okay with that. It'll mean the kits can't have any metal or resin parts though.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Occuli Imperator

GW used to have their stuff in other stores. It was amusing I could buy boxes from virign which was next door to GW at a cheaper price and the box set was included in argos' catalogue
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    But he's got a point. I can't remember seeing model kits in department stores in a long time. Not sure about toy stores, but I don't think they're in there, either. I'm sure that varies by region. It seems, though, that even building kits aren't as in demand as they used to be, with LEGO mainly working because of their movies and video games to help drum up interest in their products. And given recent trends toward being terrified of little Billy holding anything sharp or using glue (IIRC, there are laws regarding glue, which is why GW doesn't toss some in with their starter sets.)

GW's got an interesting idea, but I think it'll work better in hobby shops than toy stores. But that's more their target anyway, get the young modelers interested. One major concern with putting their products, even entry level, into toy stores is that it's effectively an admission that you know, despite your words, that you sell toys. (We all know they do, but they've gotten a pretty snotty attitude about admitting it.)

Yeah... the glue thing does still seem to be an issue, in the US at least. Doing a quick search, it seems there's still states where selling glue to minors or people under 16 isn't legal (though some give a specific exception if the glue is to be used with modeling, which you can cover by packing it in the box). So that might be a concern to deal with. I'd think their legal eagles are looking into that, though, to make sure they comply.
    I totally agree he has a point. I just thought it was pretty funny that you got exactly what you were joking about. I knew a couple of people who sniffed glue and it's not a pretty sight. Watery eye, sniffling all the time, dumb as bricks. I don't see why they don't put glue in with the sets if somebody want something bad enough you'll find a way to get it but I see where they're coming from on a legal standpoint.
    Yeah Morgrim it may be safe but I doubt it would stop them from trying lol I can just picture a kid walking around with one of his nostrils glued shut..
    Last edited by Alaric; 01-30-2016 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
    I totally agree he has a point. I just thought it was pretty funny that you got exactly what you were joking about. I knew a couple of people who sniffed glue and it's not a pretty sight. Watery eye, sniffling all the time, dumb as bricks. I don't see why they don't put glue in with the sets if somebody want something bad enough you'll find a way to get it but I see where they're coming from on a legal standpoint.
    Yeah Morgrim it may be safe but I doubt it would stop them from trying lol I can just picture a kid walking around with one of his nostrils glued shut..
    Yeah, laws are not as effective as people think at stopping the people who want to do stupid/awful things... but that's too close to venturing into politics talk.

On a lighter note, I think the most amusing thing I've seen with super glue was when a kid (I think he was late teens, maybe mid teens?) tipped over a bottle of brush-on super glue in his lap, and then, in a panic, thought it'd somehow be helpful to spray it with zip-kicker. For those who haven't been introduced to that combo, zip-kicked superglue heats up a lot really, really fast, so he just made himself feel like his lap was on fire (and made sure his pants were ruined). Poor kid went running screaming for the bathroom.

Little bit o' knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123