BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Droneport idea for Tau

Hiya, was just contemplating the impending end of building and painting my Tau. I'll have about 3k when finished, to mix and match with.
    Anyway I was considering purchasing a droneport to give a bunch of pathfinders some groovy 4+ cover. I thought that 4 marker drones might be fun, firing at the same target as the pathfinders to help cascade or increase BS on rail or ion stuff from the pathfinders. To be honest the Idea of flying saucers full of Tau appeals greatly. Fairly moveable in a terrain heavy environment, not as big a target as a gunrig, and more versatile i feel due to drone options, also, like Piranha, once you deduct the cost of 4 drones from the points, it is the cheapest fortification available to Tau.

I'm sorely tempted. Please reply with thoughts or experiences.

Chapter-Master

Droneports are great as getting four free Marker Drones has the important use of replacing your dead Markerlight sources, units which are often priority number one for opponents and don't often last more than a few turns. Having a Drone Commander nearby with his own Marker Drone unit is ideal so that he can potentially join up with the new squad. The cover provided by the Droneport is also excellent for any number of Tau infantry units, and as it is a fortification, you can deploy it forward and then Scout or Infiltrate on to it should the situation demand it.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Remember: it counts as Battlefield Debris, so unless someone brings a unit with Wrecker, it can't be touched.

Chaplain

Vis a vis deploying the Drone ports forward, can you assault and capture it and take the benefits therein? Or just melt it.

If your opponent is also Tau then they can activate the drones for their side if you haven't already. Nearly happened to me in a Tau v Tau match. The game concluded before my opponent could get troops to it.