BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Dusting off the Space Wolves - 1850

Havent played my Wolves in FOREVER (like, end of 4th), and i know we have only seen one unit (and no formations) from the upcoming Campaign book but couldnt help myself... So based on the rules/points we have seen...

Company of the Great Wolf

Bjorn the Fell Handed - Helfrost Cannon, Drop Pod - 255

Thunderwolf Cavalry x5 - Stormshields, Thunder Hammer on Pack leader - 305
    Thunderwolf Cavalry x5 - Stormshields, Thunder Hammer on Pack leader - 305
    Drop Pod - 35

Wulfen x5 - Hammer/Shield x2, Wolf Claws x2, Pack Leader, Grenade Launchers - 244
    - StormWolf - 215
    Iron Priest - Thunderwolf mount - 105 points
    Iron Priest - Thunderwolf mount - 105 points
    Murderfang - DropPod - 170

Allied
    Culexus Assassin - 140

Total = 1849

Very 'Slim' list in my opionion with only 4 units on the table on turn 1 but i feel theres enough threats to hit hard enough to cause problems for most opponents. Depending on the setup the Culexus uses the spare pod but i also have the option of Infiltrating the Assassin and holding the pod back to go grab an objective if/when it turns up, but its more to guarantee the double Dread Drop on turn 1. Not quite settled on which gun Bjorn is having yet though.
    Last edited by Sonikgav; 01-30-2016 at 03:24 PM.

Ok, now ive been able to have a look at a few of the formations... hows about this.

Company of the Great Wolf (1280)
    - Bjorn - Lucius Drop Pod - 270
    - Thunderwolf Cavalry x5 - 4 Stormshields, Thunder Hammer on the pack leader - 290 points
    - Thunderwolf Cavalry x5 - 4 Stormshields, Thunder Hammer on the pack leader - 290 points
    - Drop Pod - 35
    - Iron Priest - Thunderwolf mount - 105 points
    - Iron Priest - Thunderwolf mount - 105 points
    - Murderfang - Lucius Drop Pod - 185

Wulfen Murderpack
    - Wulfen x5 - Hammer/Shield x2, Wolf Claws x2 - 214
    - Wulfen x5 - Hammer/Shield x2, Wolf Claws x2 - 214

Allied
    Culexus Assassin - 140

The Wulfen Murderpack start on the board and are there to help speed up the ThunderWolves with the upgraded Curse of the Wulfen rule the formation provides. Theres a good chance they can give them +3" on their move/run/charge and if i get really lucky (ie a 6+), could allow them to move twice upping their threat range to 36". After that they should still be fast enough to make a turn 2 'second wave' assault and theres enough high threat targets that my opponent wont always be able to just 'deal with them' before they arrive.

Bjorn and Murderfang drop in on turn 1, staying snug in their dreads until they can assault, and the Culexus either infiltrates if my opponent has a heavy Psyker presence, or uses the spare pod to arrive a little later.

**edit** Noticed the Iron Priests are being moved to HQ so will need to rethink this. Maybe Long range Dreadnoughts. I do have a couple of twin Autocannon contemptors lying around. Just have to find 20 points. It's either that or run a standard CAD with a pair of 5 man Grey Hunter squads in Rhinos to grab objectives.
    Last edited by Sonikgav; 02-07-2016 at 01:49 PM.

I like this list but the wulfen should all try to take TH/SS if possible you risk having them be very vulnerable otherwise. Also your list will suffer against airborne units that's something to consider.

Where did you read that Iron Priests will be moved to HQ??
    1. Tyranids - 15,000 pts
    2. Chaos Space Marines - 7,100 pts

Its in the Wulfen campaign book. It has a few codex updates for the Space Wolves (which will be in the Digital version of the codex) that update SW Vehicles to be in-line with codex marines (Predators/Whirlwinds/Vindicators in units of 3 etc) and also adds a new Datasheet for the Iron Priest to include new weapon options, moves them to HQ and makes them more expensive.

Ive actually decided to swap the Iron Priests out for 5 Blood Claws in a Rhino to add objective grabbing potential and the extra points have gone towards the Blood Claws. Cant really afford all 5 to have the Hammers but as it stands ive got 2 Hammer/Shields, 2 Frost Claws, 1 Axe and spare points to put a frag launcher on for the assault grenade bonus. If im worried about them getting shot ill just use the Rhino's to shield them. They should be on fora T2 Charge anyway.
    Last edited by Sonikgav; 02-14-2016 at 12:08 AM.