BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Default A Jolly Good Read

I know it's terribly last millennium but I do enjoy a book, but I ain't read them all so I thought it would be nice share I bit of knowledge on the old literature front.

I pose the question, what is your favourite SciFi novel and why?

I'll get the ball rolling with mine,

Starship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein. It's a genuine satire (not a parody like the joke of a film) with something to say on the susbject of personal and social responsibility versus rights and entitlements and a increasingly prophetic comment on modern society. It provides an interesting take on military efficiency and cooperation wrapped up with with Soldiers in armour fighting a truly Alien foe (rather than funny coloured humans). Despite common Internet "wisdom" I don't see it as the inspiration behind the Adeptus Astrates, who share very little with the mobile infantry other than that they wear armour.

Notable mentions go Frank Herbers Dune, which I believe is the real inspiration behind 40K and Joe Haldeman's forever war a very interesting take on how a war against an alien spieces would go and how it would affect the participants.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Can we go with the full sci-fi/fantasy genre?

If so, my choice will be kind of... "different." It's not a serious book that speaks to society or anything. My pick would probably, at least right now, be Grunts by Mary Gentle. It doesn't have a serious message, it's not packed with 2000 pages of intrigue or characters going on lengthy journeys. It's just about a group of orcs in a typical fantasy setting who help some halfling thieves kill a dragon and steal its hoard, with the hoard having the curse of "You become what you steal." And orcs being orcs and the dragon having interdimensional portals, the orcs steal a bunch of modern weapons like M16s and rocket launchers and stuff... which then causes them to believe they're Marines, and they start drilling like Marines, trying to fly helicopters, use tanks, etc. It's amusing to see the battle of magic versus technology, and there's a lot of memorable moments that are hilarious. It's super funny, but also kind of dark, because, well, it's orcs. (There's a scene with an elf convoy. I'll let your imagination fill in the rest.) And watching the Dark Lord's transformation in the book to trying to take over the world through a more insidious manner (politics) is also pretty funny. It's one of the few books I'll read over and over (so much that I had to replace it).

Also toward the top, and even more sci-fi-esque, is Mogworld, a book by Yahtzee Croshaw (of Zero Punctuation fame), that is pretty much about sort of sentient NPCs in an MMORPG under development (where apparently they programmed the characters' actions and reactions so well they effectively made a living world of AIs). They aren't really aware they're in a fake world, and are going about their lives trying to fight the evil and all that. I especially like the main character, who keeps arguing he's not a hero and at best would only want to be a protagonist (and keeps trying to avoid being in the middle of things but can't help being stuck saving the day).

If we're going to do serious (but I use novels to escape the seriousness of reality!), I'd have to go with Ender's Game. It shows a nice contrast between the optimism of youth and the pessimism of those who've been around a while. The side story with Ender's siblings is pretty interesting, where they're manipulating the politics of the world basically by stirring up the Internet. It's amazing that the Internet didn't really exist in the pervasive form it is today, and yet he still predicted that someone could possibly manipulate the whole world through the use of the Internet. Ender's also a believable character, and I have to admit that I've always agreed with the philosophy that if someone hurts you, you make sure they never hurt you or anyone else again (preferably just by putting fear into them rather than killing them, but sometimes it's unavoidable). Also, if you want to absolutely win a war, especially quickly, you have to be willing to accept a lot of sacrifices.

Bonus honorable mentions to Flash Forward (do we really have the power to change the future if we know what it is?) and World War Z (a mostly believable tale of a "zombie apocalypse," and I like the format of someone talking to various survivors to get their stories).

Brother-Captain

Yeah let's go full genre in fact one of each for SciFi and fantasy.

I've read Grunts it's a right rollicking read I really enjoyed it and it was nice for someone to do things from the other perspective.

If we are adding fantasy I'll add David Gemmell's Legend. It's great and investigates the characters reasons for doing what they doing rather than just that they are caught up in events. He seems to make the characters more human by doing so.

Chapter-Master

I pretty much only read hard SF that has a focus on decent aliens. So quite niche there :P

1) Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon -

it's a history of the entier universe from beginning to end, has all kinds of weird and wonderful alien cultures described with the "star makers" themselves being nebulas which are shown to be enourmous godlike beings. Proper aliens no "space bugs/insects" or "humanoid" crap. one alien race are litterally one conjoined orgamism that spans an entire planet. Way ahead of it's time given it was released in 1937.

2) XeeLee Trilology by Stephen Baxter -

Sub quantum civilizations that exist in the first nano-seconds of the big bang, dark matter beings, a war as long as the universe itself, cosmic strings turned into escape hatches outside the universe and again has proper aliens and proper hard science in it. Mind blowing stuff that hollywood wouldn't touch with a ten foot bargepole.

3) Dragon's Egg by Robert L Forward

It's about alien life that evolve on a dying neutron star. The aliens are the protagonists and they are small disc-like creatures that weigh the same as humans but are the size of a 5p coin. Their time perception is different to ours - living entire lives in the space of one human hour. It was written by an physicist that knows his stuff and has a great imaginaton. I loved it so much I even made an instrumental soundtrack tribute to it.
    Last edited by Asymmetrical Xeno; 01-31-2016 at 09:03 AM.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Brother-Captain

It's less a story and more a series of constantly posted microfics, but [url=http://eldraeverse.com/]Eldraeverse[/url] is an interesting sci-fi setting. Mostly optimistic, likes poking fun at tropes, and has some truly alien aliens (although the main species, the Eldrae, are transophant humanoids). Like the galari, who are mineral-viral symboites that take the form of several foot long crystals, live off electromagnetic radiation, and communicate via biological radio.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Chapter-Master

I think in the last half a dozen years the two series I've been most excited to read and see a new book from are start with "The electric Church" by Jeff Somers, and "The Atrocity Archives" by Charles Stross.

The first is a dystopian cyberpunk future, and follows a contract killer as he tries to make his living and survive. The main character almost feels like Kal Jerico, with the sarcasm ramped up to 11.

The second follows for the most part Bob, a network/IT guy at the worlds only ISO9001 accredited occult intelligence agency, and his more and more complicated life as he is sent on field assignments.

Both have a series. Both are series I'm excited to see new releases from, and will pretty much put everything down to read a new one, and then will read it again almost immediately.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Brother-Captain

Excellent stuff.

Yeah Psychosplodge that's the sweet spot. I've not had that feeling for a while. The writers who used to do it have unfortunately passed on so I'm on the hunt for more.

Xeno, how hard are we talking? I'm no idiot but neither am I a mathematical genius.

Cheers Morgrim that's definitely a bit different

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    Excellent stuff.

Yeah Psychosplodge that's the sweet spot. I've not had that feeling for a while. The writers who used to do it have unfortunately passed on so I'm on the hunt for more.

Xeno, how hard are we talking? I'm no idiot but neither am I a mathematical genius.

Cheers Morgrim that's definitely a bit different

Stapledon is probably more on the softer end of the hard SF spectrum, Baxter and Forward are more around a 8/10 in "hardness" and yeah I will happily admit there is stuff I don't understand at all but for me that is actually part of the appeal as it makes me want to learn more and try to understand stuff (part of the fun to me)
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Favourite sci-fi book at the moment is The Martian. Very close to home and very hard sci-fi that wears its science on its sleeve. It's not particularly eloquent in its description, but the main character is surprisingly well-rounded and incredibly likable, and the whole scenario feels very much like something that could one day actually happen.

It's also hilarious, I was laughing my backside off at some parts.

Fantasy book/series will for the forseeable future always be The Bartimaeus Sequence. Alternate-history British Empire where the Empire is run by an over-class of Magician-Politicians, who summon demons in precise and dangerous rituals to harness their power for their own ends. Almost without exception they're self-serving and ambitious in the extreme, they keep the commoner folk under heel through ignorance and their demons are slaved to their will and eternally trying to find ways to defy their masters.

The three viewpoint characters are Nathaniel, a magician apprentice who soars through the ranks as the series progresses and is a great blend of ambition with a core of fading morality. Bartimaeus, one of his demons who is incredibly amusing and has literally seen it all through millennia of serving master after master through countless long-forgotten empires. Also Kitty Jones, a commoner with a resilience to magic who begins planning a revolution to overthrow the magicians.

Probably my favourite example of excellent world-building, humour and relatable characters rolled into one series.

/Edit/

Honorary sci-fi mention to The Hitchikers' Guide. It's as soft as they come, deliciously British and I can't think of a funnier series of books.

Except the ending. Crikey that was depressing.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

I recently read all of the (so far) Omega Force series, Firefly meets A-Team. not hard sci fi, but the author knows enough to make nods to it. also the Black Fleet trilogy, which is harder sci fi, and awesome also.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast